Wyoming antelope 2018

Ducks&Eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at going to Wyoming this next fall and was wondering if anyone had info on a good unit to apply for with 1pp not looking for a B&C buck just a respectable buck. TIA for any info.

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am planning on heading to Wyoming for a long weekend antelope hunting with a couple buddies, taking a year off Montana deer. No preference points but there are quite a few units in the NE part of the state that we can get into. Should be able to find some bucks there even if they aren't huge. The low point units still seem to have a fair amount of public land. You could always apply to a trophy unit and one of the easier to draw units as a second choice.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do some investigating ahead of time there is quite a lot of public land open to hunting in wy but not all roads leading to the public land are public. I worked in the Gillette Wyoming area lots of game to pursue just need to do some scouting and ask questions as to what is permissible and what isn't. The powder river basin is area where I would go if I was to hunt. It's one of those areeas where seen Muley, white tail, prong horn in the same area. Johnson County wy

jtillman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Several years ago, I was in your same situation. I'm assuming you understand that the further West you go the more access to ACCESSIBLE public land you will have. With that said, when I looked at the following units, all seemed to give me about the same successful draw rate: 15, 16, 17, 22, 23, 24, 26, 27, 29. I was looking at those units specifically because I was doing some work in that Sheridan to Gillette corridor and I saw Antelope almost everywhere along I-90.

After doing a bunch of research, reaching out to contacts, asking for a few favors, etc., I ended up getting connected with a large ranch owner that had some great property. We do pay a relatively small trespass fee (*gasp*, I know), but we are OK with that. We have a GREAT view of the Big Horn mountains where we set up camp....huge pastures to hunt....a bunch of options on shooter antelope...and we have a great time out there.

Last word of advice....before selecting a unit, I'd first find the place you're going to hunt....whether it be private or public. If public, make 100% sure you can get access to it. During my research and conversations with the locals, in that Sheridan to Gillette area, the public land that is accessible isn't hunted that hard. Locals don't hunt it much at all....but I have no way of validating that.

Good luck!

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is some good advice so far. Believe it because it's true. Some units look great with all the BLM land but there might only be a handful of legal access points which dramatically concentrates hunters. With that said, you can pretty much shoot a buck in any unit with some effort but in some units, your standards have to be mostly non-existant.

Are you applying in the regular or special draw?

Ducks&Eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
O was going to do the regular draw since they upped the price of there tag this year.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
DuckE
What is the out of state bow tag price for antelope?
Too lazy to look it up!

Fish On!

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have fun. Hunting them critters can be a fun time. I hunted them in SD a few years ago with archery equipment in August. I enjoyed it but I’d do it different next time. I sat in a ground blind for 3 days in 95 degree heat. I was successful but I did sit in ball soup for those three days. I’d go later and try to hit the rut. Decoy one in or spot and stalk.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ghost,
Several years back I would go down in SW ND and try decoy them during the rut. Had a blast but never was able to connect on a buck. I've always wanted to shoot an antelope with my bow. I was thinking about going with the blind by the waterhole method. Those dang things can see with pinpoint accuracy. They are very hard to get close to when sneaking or decoying. It was good times.

Fish On!

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well don’t let me deter you. It is effective. It’s just the ground blind becomes an oven in those conditions.

Srputz

Founding Member
Founding Member
Montana is not a guarantee. I know of three people that did not get one last fall I was one of them. We did not put n together either. Maybe we all have bad luck

$220 in Montana and tag is basicall garuanteed for eastern Montana region 7

Montana is not a guarantee. I know of three people that did not get one last fall I was one of them. We did not put n together either. Maybe we all have bad luck

The archery tag is an easy draw and it's good for most of the state not just region 7. The rifle tag was about a 20% draw with 0 points last year. MTFWP will also be switching up the antelope draw for 2018 fyi.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
The archery tag is an easy draw and it's good for most of the state not just region 7. The rifle tag was about a 20% draw with 0 points last year. MTFWP will also be switching up the antelope draw for 2018 fyi.

What are the changes?

Proposed changes for 2018-19
-Making the antelope 900-20 archery license a first and only choice with a separate earlier drawing.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Proposed changes for 2018-19
-Making the antelope 900-20 archery license a first and only choice with a separate earlier drawing.

Ok thanks.

I hope they don't do that. I drew the 900 tag as a 2nd choice a few years ago and was going to try and to that as well this year...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74