Walleye Recipes On the Grill

Shotstring

Founding Member
Founding Member
What your guys and gals go to recipes for cooking walleye on the grill? At home or on the ice.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
tin foil on the grill, brush the fillets with olive oil, season with lemon pepper and dill weed. Have also tried Italian seasoning and other random things in the pantry. medium heat until fish flakes. do not try to flip the fillets.

Merickson1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Butter on tinfoil- Onions, green pepper, lemon slices, minced garlic, s&p. Yum.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pad of butter, tin foil and what ever seasoning blows your skirt up.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I actually prefer Northern Pike on the grill as I think it holds together better than walleye. Brush a mixture of butter and Hot Wing Sauce on the fish liberally and then use a grill basket (one of those things where you flip the whole clamp device instead of individual pieces).

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad had 9 brothers and sisters and they were camping fools. Back then you could camp just about anywhere along the shores of the big lake. Lots of tent camping, until they eventually started to buy campers. Only power we had most of the time was the camper battery, not like the sissy camping most of us do today at campgrounds or with the use of generators. When the lights started to go dim, you would start the engine for a while to charge the battery back up. Anyhow, when someone would catch a smaller northern while shore fishing it would get scaled, gutted and the head would get cut off. Then it would get wrapped in tinfoil with butter, onions, green pepper, lemon, salt and pepper and more butter, then tossed into the edge of the campfire until it was done. Have lots of memory's of sitting in a lawn chair eating that great tasting fish.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are using tin foil it really helps to butter the foil before laying the filet on it. Also a few cuts in the foil will drain the liquid giving it more of a fried texture.
I second the use of a grill basket for grilling lots of stuff.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
20170821_180026.jpg
This is my favorite. Bacon wrapped stuffed. DEEEEEEEEEEEEELICIOUS!

I'll post up the recipe tomorrow. Just about to leave now to go fishing!

nybs

Honored Member
Best I’ve had them from the grill was like this:
- charcoal grill
- dredge fillets in melted butter
- season with pack of Cajun shrimp seasoning (could prob use old bay and variety of other spices you like)
- wrap all in one tin foil like a hobo and eat when flakey.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get some open fire burger gaskets. Put a layer of tomatoes and green peppers on the grate. Brush on butter and season walleye. Add another layer of tomatoes and peppers.
Crank the grill and 5 min/side.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Blackened Fish - Get a cast iron pan or griddle good and hot on the grill. Dip fish in melted butter then cover liberally with blackened seasoning. Place on hot pan for just a couple minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the filet. Do this outside as the hot frying pan and butter will create lots of smoke. I love blackened fish but I repeat, must be done outside.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Blackened Fish - Get a cast iron pan or griddle good and hot on the grill. Dip fish in melted butter then cover liberally with blackened seasoning. Place on hot pan for just a couple minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the filet. Do this outside as the hot frying pan and butter will create lots of smoke. I love blackened fish but I repeat, must be done outside.

We did this at Men's Fellowship night at church. We used clarified butter in the cast iron pans (not dipping the fillets in the butter) that were set right on the charcoal and it turned out great. I think using clarified butter cut down on the smoke, but we were outside anyway.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^^^ Good idea. Smoke isn't so much of an issue unless you're doing it indoors or in a area where it could be confined. thanks for the info.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
My favorite grilled walleye:

leave skin and scales on walleye fillet,,put it on oiled up grill skin side down, bast with olive oil put your choice of seasoning on,, i use sea salt and pepper and paparika or lemon peper.. cook till done, dont flip..easy peasy but damn good and easy..

I was hesitant with the whole leaving the skin/scales on but got over it and now one of my favorite ways to eat walleye..eat with a fork and the meat just seperatesright from the skin..

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed with retired Ed,blackend walleye rules,made the indoor mistake once in canada,skeeters were so bad we couldn't bbq outside,long ass night trying to breath,the black pepper smoke killed everything in our cabin and almost us...

Shotstring

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the posts, lots of good ones. Flatrock, that looks delicious. Do you have broccoli in there?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70