Portable Booster for Jump Starting

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought one last summer to have in the boat. Anyway I forgot it in the boat as I did not need it (which was good) so when I took it out at Christmas it was stone dead. It will not take a charge.

Anyone have any recommendation for a real good one???

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Stanley lithium one from menards that has been left in -20 and took a charge. My mechanic buddies say get a noco and don't look back.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
NOCO Genius Boost. Lithium Ion so it wont go dead just sitting around. I have one and love it and we have started buying them at work. They work really well!

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had a deep-cell marine battery that I thought had froze (it did) and wouldn't take a charge. Still on warranty so took it back and the dealer replaced it. Next day I was in his store and he told me he got the battery to take a charge. He put it on the charger under Start mode overnight. Then left it on a general charge for a few hours. Worked fine. He did leave me with the replacement battery but talked to him later and it was still working for him.

That's not a charger like you are talking but wonder if it would work the same.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
NOCO Genius Boost. Lithium Ion so it wont go dead just sitting around. I have one and love it and we have started buying them at work. They work really well!

I didn't realize these boosters had gotten so small with the lithium batteries. I think its time to pick one up just to have it on ATV for ice fishing.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
My only experience with one was a AAA tow truck guy brought one to start my diesel, didn't cut the mustard. He had to go get a different vehicle and cables. I have no idea what magic box he had or what was wrong with it. Has anyone started a diesel with one?

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
They all have ratings and usually say v-6 or v-8 or diesel,the big diesel noco are expensive and bulky but will crank a dodge diesel. I have a 1000 A for my work truck and it cranks the v-10. For my boat I have a Napa blue fuel 600-800 always cranks it. Got an elcheapo from Walmart in the ol ladies traverse 600 A cranks the 3.6 no problem. Plus they all have usb and flashlights and after you use them you can charge them from your cigarette lighter and they are good for another year.

DDRAHT

I'll second what Colt45 said. Great luck/lifespan with mine too. I also have the JNC660.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
have you only tried charging it with the built in charger? try hooking up a battery charger to the cables to get some voltage back into the battery so the built in circuitry will see some voltage then the built in charger may work,

dakotaeye29

Founding Member
Founding Member
Noco smaller size for 3+ years, starts a 6 liter just fine, great for ATVs, snowmobile, and anything USB
Need the next size up for my diesel thou.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
Picked up the NOCO GB150 and it starts diesel pickups no problem, haven't tried it on a truck yet but I doubt it would crank one.
(semi=truck for the city boys)

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a DSR 2212 , 3 or 4 years old and it will still crank over a tractor or a semi .

9k=

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
I have this one and carry it with me wherever I go with toys that need a battery to start. They also make a super slick wiring hardness that connects into this and I have them on my snowbike and four wheeler that way I can just plug it in if need. Don't have to carry the jumper cables with. I have used it to jump my car b4 and the skidsteer. But haven't done my pickup yet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075YC2NYG/?tag=nodakangler10-20

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
have you only tried charging it with the built in charger? try hooking up a battery charger to the cables to get some voltage back into the battery so the built in circuitry will see some voltage then the built in charger may work,

This is partly what I was told when I couldn't charge my boat batteries. The batteries are so flat that a charger cannot get enough current to flow into the batteries and the circuitry in the charger shuts down the charger. You have to "force feed" some charging current into your battery. To do that you cannot use your charger - you have to use jumper cables that will force current into your dead battery from another good battery. And you might have to let it sit attached to another battery for several/many hours to get the necessary charge. To forestall running the charging battery down, you could hook your battery charger into your charging battery so that it keeps it's charge.

Good luck!

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have this one and carry it with me wherever I go with toys that need a battery to start. They also make a super slick wiring hardness that connects into this and I have them on my snowbike and four wheeler that way I can just plug it in if need. Don't have to carry the jumper cables with. I have used it to jump my car b4 and the skidsteer. But haven't done my pickup yet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075YC2NYG/?tag=nodakangler10-20

XP 10 of this is consumer reports #1

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is partly what I was told when I couldn't charge my boat batteries. The batteries are so flat that a charger cannot get enough current to flow into the batteries and the circuitry in the charger shuts down the charger. You have to "force feed" some charging current into your battery. To do that you cannot use your charger - you have to use jumper cables that will force current into your dead battery from another good battery. And you might have to let it sit attached to another battery for several/many hours to get the necessary charge. To forestall running the charging battery down, you could hook your battery charger into your charging battery so that it keeps it's charge.

Good luck!

yes My yellow top optima batteries when they go dead I have to hook them up to another battery with booster cables and charge the other battery.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76