Opti Overhaul

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check this site out for ECU reflashing, I used them to reprogram the ecu on my Yamaha f150 and am more than pleased with how it runs and gets way better fuel economy.
http://simonmotorsports.com/index

- - - Updated - - -

Keller is in between Burger King and Kupper in Mandan, he does excellent work, I have had him do machine work for my personal projects as well as worked with him through other shops I used to work at. He is super anal and finicky about his work, you get it back better than new. He does heads blocks piston and rods but no crank shafts work at least last time I was there a couple years ago.
what did that cost you to have it reprogrammed

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
What did they do to your f150, add a specific hp or just a fuel tune?

They just have a single reprogram tune as far as I know for the Yamaha ECU's, I think it changes several parameters like timing and fueling curves. I gained a bit of power and it starts and idles smoother during cold starts, it doesn't stall during F_N_R shifts when cold and it gets WAY better fuel economy. Was $600 but long term the fuel savings was worth ti alone not to mention the little annoying things it improved over stock tune. I did a ton of research for a couple years on several boat forums and this company came highly recommended over all else. I think at the time they claimed 10-15% hp increase over stock tune depending on the engine.

- - - Updated - - -

what did that cost you to have it reprogrammed

$600

Pedro

Established Member
Emissions, possibly? Who knows. Same question applies to vehicles I guess. Why does a person have to elimate 300 pounds of shit and custom tune a 60k$ diesel pickup to get it to run decent....

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
they don't come that way for warranty reasons. when you turn up the juice you put the motor through more stress. they have to make sure they can make it six years or whatever the warranty is. same with the diesel trucks.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
will do. Got a price from Keller. $80 per cylinder for boring and $25 per cylinder to chamfer the ports. Kinda high but I expected it to be $70 a hole locally at a minimum. Probably worth it. Sound like they know what they'r'e doing.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
will do. Got a price from Keller. $80 per cylinder for boring and $25 per cylinder to chamfer the ports. Kinda high but I expected it to be $70 a hole locally at a minimum. Probably worth it. Sound like they know what they'r'e doing.

There is usually no they, he is so super picky about the work that leaves the place he has had guys work there for short stints over the years but if they don't do work to his caliber they don't stick around long. He is a "Perfectionist" with his machine work. You could eat off the floors in that palce, I don't think hospital rooms are as clean as what I have seen in there lol.

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member

If you're looking in the bis/man area, might want to check with Bismarck Hedahls. I know their machine shop does alot of work in the area, not sure on the turn around time. I had them line bore an engine for me years ago and it turned out good.

I have never had Keller Machine do any work for me, but have met the guy and his kids a handful of times. Couldn't be nicer people. I'd imagine he does fine work.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So last wed I took the block to Keller's in Mandan. Def. seems like a good place. Hope to have it back next week.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
So last wed I took the block to Keller's in Mandan. Def. seems like a good place. Hope to have it back next week.

When you pick it up ask to see his wood shop in the back, its as clean as the machine shop. He hires disabled people to work there or he did years ago and his wife works that area i think.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I noticed the sign for that. I will do that. I'm an avid wood worker myself. I don't get to work my wood often enough though lol

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Picked the block up late yesterday. Haven't removed the shrink wrap yet. So over the next week I'll be putting her back together. I'll post a pick of the machine work when I unwrap it. Better be good for what I paid lol. Dan Keller seems like a great guy there in Mandan. Nice to do business with a guy who seems to really know what he is doing and is a good solid guy. Can't wait to check out his work.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Finally getting around to putting the opti back together. Installed the main bearings on the crank tonight. Kind of a pain because this particular motor uses two rows of individual roller bearings with a collar around them per main. Sucks putting each one in place. Had to use grease to hold em in place. Not a job for my fat fingers but I got em. Hoping tomorrow I can get it mounted in the cases and start on the pistons install. A393D8FE-7346-4BE2-866E-9D036CF47399.jpg3DB42F11-54A6-44BC-AC6D-B96CD358D731.jpg103B97DA-ED71-4E3C-92BA-1A9C87E62036.jpg

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would love to be able to do what you do but alas it dose not work for me. Never have been able to wrap my brain around the internal combustion engine.;:;banghead

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would love to be able to do what you do but alas it dose not work for me. Never have been able to wrap my brain around the internal combustion engine.;:;banghead
Don't over think it. essentially all reciprocating engines are the same internally. There are little things here and there that are different such as these bearings I was talking about. A good manual and it's not bad. Having the right tooling is essential of course. Two strokes are quite easy actually. Four strokes get more complicated.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Started to install the crank today and had one of the big sealing rings break. If you look in the picture you can see the rings and groove on the biggest lobes. I contemplated replacing these for quite awhile. This was an omen lol. So ordered all new ones. Given that I dove into the air pump to replace all the orings in it. The pump is used to provide air pressure for the fuel injector system. A simple piston type compressor not unlike your shop air compressor. 40EA3B33-6350-4745-A53A-136921D6D4BD.jpg07DAB276-6692-43E1-997F-EDBC85FCB274.jpg5580B116-2F80-4AEE-BBD7-352ACEC6B7F6.jpg41E0A661-4BB5-40E4-9EDB-1D1B01E2A9E3.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75