Opti Overhaul

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
In talking with guides down in Florida, they were running mostly Yamaha and Suzuki motors. Although, the guys that took us out on the deep water were running Mercs. The 200 hp, 2015 Suzuki had over 1800 hours on it already, and the twin 2015 Merc 150s (all 4-S) had around 1200. They universally disliked the Evinrudes, which I thought was interesting. In their opinion, ETECs are made for the recreational crowd, not for daily work where you get lots of hours in a short amount of time.

Makes the 150-250 hours I put on my outboards a year seem trivial.

The New G2 E-Tec has turned this on its head since their release in 2015, low maintenance costs and fuel efficiency has gotten them back on the map in a big way from my research the last year. Had I stayed with 4 stroke the Suzukis came in first hands down overall for reliability, longevity and durability from many different sources mainly large Florida marine tech shops. Most places said that if one has to open up any newer marine engine with less than 5K hours it was due to abuse and or improper maintenance.

Last edited:

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are right about the rpms they run and the difference in the load of a boat vs. a car.

I've had a few 350 chevys that would run 6000 all day and they weren't very expensive to build.

I just don't get how a 350 HP outboard costs 5 times as much as a 350 HP crate motor for a car.

Because you are not just buying the engine, you are getting the entire running gear and control system. Like buying a complete running car chassis without the body.

Also the Seven marine outboards have the LSA 6.2L GM engines in them and run 6000 rpms and cost $70-90K..........EACH

http://www.seven-marine.com/motors/seven-627sv/

https://www.boatingmag.com/building-seven-marine-outboard

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
In talking with guides down in Florida, they were running mostly Yamaha and Suzuki motors. Although, the guys that took us out on the deep water were running Mercs. The 200 hp, 2015 Suzuki had over 1800 hours on it already, and the twin 2015 Merc 150s (all 4-S) had around 1200. They universally disliked the Evinrudes, which I thought was interesting. In their opinion, ETECs are made for the recreational crowd, not for daily work where you get lots of hours in a short amount of time.

Makes the 150-250 hours I put on my outboards a year seem trivial.

Wild - - i wouldnt get to worked up on the comment that was made ---if i would of been Allen i would told em - i have had a merc blow up for no reason and seen what those offshore boys would of said. Again -- when trying to see what works best and what a guy can find parts --in poor countrys what they are running -- Yamaha. What does everybody use in US - merc - why because everybody sells them -- doesnt indicate quality though. I am not beating a drum for Etec either ------- Etec -- i imo more driven to what you want to do with the outboard ---- perfect for jobs like pulling, toons. Remember that show bottom feeders -- they used etecs to pull those nets. I know the shop i used -- they had i think minnow guys using them MN -- i asked how many hours on one of em --- the shop owner looked over and said 4k. The motor looked so baked with barnicles and scum on it -- i wouldnt of thought it would run. Shop owner said all they had done was the normals plugs, water pump, filters - nothing on the computer report.

With any outboard -- not running them and our shty weather / winter and a ANTI FREEDOM LAW OF FORCING ETHANOL DOWN ONES FUEL PIPE is more of an issue than hours. You really do not know when you pull up to a pump if the sign is correct or not -- i wonder how many times they dump in the E fuel in the no E tank.

NDGF - had a boat on the MO with an etec - I didnt even look at the last warden that checked me what he had. The only reason i remember that MO one is that i asked him how it had been - he said no issues.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think generally speaking they all make damn good motors. One thing they all have in common is they are all relying on the quality of parts from third party vendors. All it takes is a string of one part that has a flaw in manufacturing and the company takes a huge hit. The days of building every single part in house has been long gone for many years. Every manufacturer of every product in this country is at the mercy of third party vendors. I think a lot of price in parts is quality control and testing.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eye, you going to get this thing bolted back onto the boat any time soon? Getting anxious to see it run.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
hoping to finish it up by middle of next week. Go on days off tomorrow but I have a bunch of other things to do too.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
good grief - not a task for this guy

I’d be way too stressed out that I’ll eff it up after all that work

I'm amazed at the guys that can tinker around on stuff like this and make it work. I imagine I'd have a pretty big bin of extra parts once I got it back together. Shoot a video of er when you get it fired up.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
good grief - not a task for this guy

I’d be way too stressed out that I’ll eff it up after all that work

Me too , I like tinkering with old school stuff but I'm pretty confident that there's a good chance I'd make scrap iron out of Eyes Opti if I was brave enough to tear into it.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I completely agree with this statement! Something about mechanical work is calming! :;:thumbsup

It's a young mans game though, I have a bunch of projects that I have saved up for"calming days". My eyes were bigger than my ambition, Now that I have more time I want to fish more.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went to throw the heads on tonight. Started torquing them and they just felt funny. I thought maybe my torque wrench was acting up so I tried another and same thing. These are stainless bolts so they're pretty soft. Torque is only 30 ft lbs. I couldn't get the to 30 before two broke. They seem to be stretched and due to the time they have on them they won't torque properly. So I ordered all new ones. Takes 40 of em. Of course Mercury wants $5 a piece lol. So I found another source for the same spec bolt for $1.29 and ordered em up. So another hold up lol. Damn thing.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went to throw the heads on tonight. Started torquing them and they just felt funny. I thought maybe my torque wrench was acting up so I tried another and same thing. These are stainless bolts so they're pretty soft. Torque is only 30 ft lbs. I couldn't get the to 30 before two broke. They seem to be stretched and due to the time they have on them they won't torque properly. So I ordered all new ones. Takes 40 of em. Of course Mercury wants $5 a piece lol. So I found another source for the same spec bolt for $1.29 and ordered em up. So another hold up lol. Damn thing.

DANG. how much savings vs a pro shop doing it?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

You will be eyeballing your boys welded up chevy motor after you total up the parts and free labor. How does a 205 HP chevy inboard compare to a 200 HP outboard performance wise ?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
205 hp is 205 hp. What you do with that hp or how you use it is the tell all. The I/o is heavier so you loose some there. And it’s four stroke vs two stroke so the performance is a little difference. Where the motor makes the hp in the rpm range is also important. But ultimately there isn’t a pile of difference. In regards to cost difference I could have bought a remanded power head for $3800. So doing it myself saved me about $1300. But I still would have the time of pulling the power head and removing/installing the accessories. And I would always wonder if the machining was any good and if they used some cheap parts somewhere. I’ve read horror stories. Oh and my kid told me yesterday he wants it by the Fourth of July lol. Guess I’ll have to kick it in the ass

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member

I have ordered hard to find from BoltDepot.com and was very satisfied with price and speed. Great read eye.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70