Opti Overhaul

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got the powerhead put back together and ready to mount. I tried to upload pictures and I'm not able to do it. Apparently that isn't fixed yet. I am taking the hood and lower cowling to the painters today actually.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's actually still sitting on my shop bench lol. I got the powerhead together early last summer. But then both the kid and I got so damn busy we never got to fish. And the oldest boy had a boat just sitting there that we could use anytime anyway so I never got the power head put on. I sent the cowlings to a buddy to sand down and repaint too and he was too damn busy too lol. But I will be getting back on this project sometime this month. I don't have much left, just throw the power head on the midsection and hang all the accessories. I did get the mid section repainted and new water pump in lower unit and it painted too. I tore the swivel bracket apart and put all new bushings in it, it had a lot of slop in it so now that's in good shape. I also took the cover and lower cowling off the yammi kicker and sent up to have painted black to match the opti. I need to order new decals for both of them now. Might have custom decals done for the kicker in the same colors as the opti so they match. For some reason it always bugged the shit out of me having one black motor and one blue/silver motor. Need to send the prop in now and have it reworked. Last time I posted on this I couldn't upload pics, I'll see if I can do that now.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_1684.jpgIMG_1685.jpg

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I have 90% of the accessories on and ready to mount back up to the mid section. Am going to send the fuel rails, fuel injectors and air injectors out for cleaning. Getting there slow by jerks. 411DE336-A252-4084-BBBA-0EFD2AB3B2C1.jpg72AA4AC9-64D0-499E-B8AF-21B49A98FC56.jpg

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you happen to give the compressor a good once over? Sounds like you have a good handle on this project, just would hate to see you put it all back together and then have to change out a compressor shortly after. Especially if it was making any noise prior to the rebuild. They're kind of a known issue on optis.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you happen to give the compressor a good once over? Sounds like you have a good handle on this project, just would hate to see you put it all back together and then have to change out a compressor shortly after. Especially if it was making any noise prior to the rebuild. They're kind of a known issue on optis.
I rebuilt the compressor too. I just hadn't mentioned that. Not much too em. But if they grenade it isn't so bad to repair them but you have to send your whole fuel system out to be cleaned and checked out. That alone is $700-800 without any replacement costs if bad parts are found.

- - - Updated - - -

When inspecting the engine after a complete tear down, aside from the two cylinders involved in the reed eating fiasco, the motor was in really good shape for 1200 hrs. These motors should easily get 3000 hrs. if nothing breaks prematurely. They certainly won't wear out before 3K.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Finally got power head mounted up. Just need to hook shit up. Cowlings are our being painted. DEAB62FE-F48B-4701-B4B8-31192B4BC4CC.jpg

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would have lost half the parts by now and would not have a clue how to put it back together.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lol. Well the powerhead itself has been together for a long time just hadn’t installed it on the mid section.

sdtransplant

Established Member
just read through this thread , and am amazed at the work you have done and the patience you have . I would have pulled what hair I have left out the first day.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lol. I’m getting anxious to get it running now. Just so damn busy.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well just an update. Really isn’t an update lol. Got so busy last summer didn’t get time to hook up the controls and run this thing. Fished a couple days is all and just used my kids boat. But my youngest repainted the whole motor and installed new graphics. Painting the Yamaha kicker black too and putting on red Yamaha stickers. Now he has decided to paint the top half of the boat since it’s so scratched up. No dents just scratched up. I put rhino liner on the trailer this winter and all new wiring and new led’s. All new tires are going on too. Hoping to fish at least four days this summer lol. 9B2C4059-6C65-4AF6-B330-1E1B87F5C528.jpg0F23DA36-4ED8-42DE-B54E-7DD90C882C4B.jpg

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea I know it’s nuts. But I always had my kids boat to use and he wasn’t using his much. I told him he better sell his boat so I would finish mine.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=y8U2GTGcf70[/video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=y8U2GTGcf70Was finally all ready to roll a few days ago but was able to get the ecm into break in mode using the throttle. I wanted to ensure it was receiving the double oiling for the first two hours like when new. So I had to get it to a dealer and have them turn that on with the computer. So when I got back home I got it fired up. Runs like a brand new unit. Pretty windy today do the video sounds like hell. But boy she idles nice. Would barely idle before. Often died.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75