Tarpon, anyone?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I've booked a trip to go fishing with my cousin for tarpon.

I've never tried these before, while I've been studying, I'm not sure I've got the jiggle down.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...5DCADD38887FB25BF8255DCADD38887FB25&FORM=VIRE

How many of you guys have gone after tarpon, and got any words of wisdom?

It'll be a guided trip, but I figure it can't hurt to ask what I've gotten myself into from those on here who have done it.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve been on one guided tarpon trip. We fished live bait. Crabs and mullet. It was a blast and is addictive. Don’t have a lot of useful tips because I hooked up but wasn’t able to battle it in. I’ll be making another attempt in April of 2019 and can’t wait. Enjoy it

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was WAY undergunned when I ran into them(unexpected). I was trying to land 50lbers with walleye style gear and 15 pound test. Also, my hooks were not the ultra strong saltwater hooks. I think the best way to hook them well is with live bait and circle hooks as they really can only be hooked well in each corner of the mouth and a small circle in the center of the front roof of the mouth. I had the best luck getting strikes from a big Rapala Husky Jerk, but it was hard to stay hooked up. I even hooked one on a Jigging Rap, but I knew that wasn't going to hold after the first 6 foot jump. Ha ha.

It's also recommended to "Bow to the Silver King" meaning give them some slack when they jump. Just the opposite of what a guy instinctively does.

I was booked to go back to the same resort this winter, but Irma wiped it out. I was sad in the face knowing I couldn't hit the tarpon every night before I went to bed. Maybe next year...

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
LOL, I think I'm going to let the guide hook me up with the proper gear. While it would be nice to have familiarity with the rod and reel, the only thing I have that would be good tarpon gear is a 10.5 ft Ugly Stick that I use for paddlefishing. It would look funny in my carry on bag.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have all the right gear now...sitting...waiting. Ha. Good luck and watch/read a lot of videos and articles.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have only hooked them, on a fly rod, and did not land one. I will be looking into another trip soon.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
My trip 4 years ago led to me being addicted to the show silver kings. It has also started an obsession with going again and next year is the year. Hopefully there won’t be that long of a gap between trip #2 and 3.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have faith in the guide, im sure he knows more than us. All i know is ive hooked dozens, landed one, and the easiest way to get a strike is a live baitfish at night.

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
I have chased Tarpon several times. Bow to the king! You will be addicted!!!! I am going again in May!!#$%^&>

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Headed to the keys in week and half. Having a hard time deciding between chasing Tarpon, Blackfined Tuna, or doing a shark trip. I guess you'd call this a first world problem, lol. Gotta call a couple guide service today.

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
Headed to the keys in week and half. Having a hard time deciding between chasing Tarpon, Blackfined Tuna, or doing a shark trip. I guess you'd call this a first world problem, lol. Gotta call a couple guide service today.
Tarpon.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
1436462635_fish_bites_girls_hand.gif

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108