Basement Plumbing

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm preparing to finish off the basement bathroom rough-in, and was planning on running viega pex. The viega press tool sells for roughly $175 and I really don't want to buy one for one-time use.

Do you guys have any other suggestions on which style of pex to run (crimp vs. press vs. expansion)? I know the tools aren't cheap for any of them, but I could borrow the crimp tools. Also, I'm not really keen on using the off brand stuff from the big box stores, so can anyone recommend a brand that you've had good luck with from the supply houses?

I'm fairly new to plumbing, so I'm just looking for advice on which direction to take. It's a fairly small job, and I really don't want to pay $1,000+ to have a contractor come do it.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll start by saying I am also a big fan of copper pipe. Now first question, are you on city or well water/. If you have chemically active water I would recommend PEX. Second, If possible make your connections outside wall or close to surface where they protrude into the room. The big advantage of running PEX over copper is cost of the pipe. The fittings on the other hand are considerably more expensive. The best way to run PEX type plumbing is to "home run" the pipes. That is no fittings between mainfold in basement- service room. That way if there is a failure in the run you can isolate that run only and maintain service to other fixtures. As to what type of connection, I would be partial to crimping. Warm the pipe up before crimping to allow the pipe to better seal on the barb fitting. As it cools it will contract and further tighten. I know the push on fittings are easier to use but I am curious as to how ell they hold up against water hammer. Check with the rental department at your local hardware/ building supply house. They may rent the tools or loan them if you purchase enough materials. Finally do not drywall/ enclose until at least 24 hours after charging the system. Use it a day or two to make sure there are no slow leaks/drips. once in the wall it will cause mucho bad problems. Sorry for running long but water is the most destructive element there is.

TWN

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pex is way easier for the average homeowner to run than copper. Our plumbers run pex all day and the only problem we have is a faulty crimp or bad brass fitting. We use and sell the oetiker type crimp clamps and the tool for these runs in the $40-50 range.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74