A sad day in the SJHL

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Junior hockey team's bus crashes in Canada, 14 killed

Fourteen people were killed when a bus carrying a junior hockey team collided with a truck in Saskatchewan, Canadian media reported. Fourteen other people on the bus, transporting the Humboldt Broncos, were injured in the crash late on Friday and taken to hospitals throughout the Tisdale area, about 300 km north of Regina, The Canadian Press reported.
“Our thoughts and prayers are extended to the families of our staff and athletes as well as to all who have been impacted by this horrible tragedy,” Kevin Garinger, the team’s president, said in a statement.

When the Minot Americans were here, we housed a player that was from Tisdale. Still visit the family when ever we are there or they are here. We made a trip to all the rinks in the SJHL. The Humboldt rink back then was one of the nicer rinks in the SJHL. The community was very proud of their team and rink.

There were 28 people from the team on the bus with 14 killed. Very sad to here this news.

My condolences to all involved. :(

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn!, that's awful. Life (and death) are sometimes just NOT fair.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Terrible ordeal, can't even imagine.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
A very heart wrenching tragedy. Condolences for friends and families.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's been a sad day just thinking about this. It goes to show how fast life can change no matter how safe and secure we might think we are. I am a distant Shirttail relative to one of the survivors. Either his Dad or Grandpa was my Dad's cousin, I've never met him or any of his immediate family but looked at a few facebook posts and see he has survived so far. RIP those that didn't make it and a hearty Godspeed to the survivors, Their families and friends.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
when I got up yesterday and read that I just about crapped. a good buddy of mine has a kid that plays for estevan and they made it to the finals. they would have played Humbolt or the other team they were playing. I think Nipawin but not sure. Just horrible.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anybody seen a report on how this happened? Pics of the crash site looks like the bus may have pulled out in front of the semi and got T-boned? Sad deal.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anybody seen a report on how this happened? Pics of the crash site looks like the bus may have pulled out in front of the semi and got T-boned? Sad deal.
That's the part I don't understand. The semi was heading west and the bus was heading north. If they (bus) came from the west and turned at that intersection, both parties had a stop sign. If the bus came from the south, the bus wouldn't have had a stop sign, but the semi still would have. I would imagine that if it was a neglect of stop sign on the semi drivers part, we would have heard of it by now, but I haven't heard a thing. Sadly, it doesn't matter at this point. What's done is done. Still sending shivers down my spine. So so sad.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow, the Go Fund me for the Humboldt Broncos is at $ 8,589,000. The support for this tragedy is unbelievable.

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
This will help understand how the crash happened:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
ya... if that video is accurate, it doesn't seem overly complicated. semi driver failed to stop. period. whether he intended to run it because he couldn't see the bus since the trees were in the way or whether he just wasn't paying attention is anyone's guess. and certainly the bus driver probably wasn't able to act defensively because he couldn't see the semi approaching at a high rate of speed because of the trees either. anyone know if either driver survived?

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Truck driver ended up ok -physically- I heard, I think I read the bus driver didn't make it but not completely sure.

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
The bus driver was killed, the semi driver survived, he has been released supposedly for now. My Canadian bud told me he is on a suicide watch tho...............

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sad deal for sure. If I was the owner of the property those trees are on I would be making plans for some tree removal. The only thing good that could ever come out of this is to try to ensure that it won't ever happen again.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sad deal for sure. If I was the owner of the property those trees are on I would be making plans for some tree removal. The only thing good that could ever come out of this is to try to ensure that it won't ever happen again.
My thoughts exactly. Either that or a flashing red light above the 4 corners so you KNOW you have to stop.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Accident claims anther young life. :( Sad very sad.

[h=1]Humboldt Broncos bus crash claims 16th victim, as athletic therapist dies in hospital[/h]Dayna Brons, the lone woman aboard the Humboldt Broncos' team bus when it collided with a transport truck, has died.
[h=2]Dayna Brons, the only woman on the bus, was critically injured in Friday night's team bus crash
Family and friends had been waiting anxiously, hoping the 25-year-old athletic therapist would pull through after she suffered serious head trauma, relative Dale Brons told The Canadian Press on Tuesday.
At that time, he said she had undergone two surgeries, and was on a breathing apparatus.
However, on Wednesday afternoon, her family confirmed in a statement that she had died peacefully.

[/h]

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
Very sad deal!! Thinking of going up to Estevan to watch. Just Heard The rest of the playoff game may be sold out or tough to get tickets for so make sure to phone ahead!!
R.I.P. boys and girl #thesticksareontheporch

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife's nephews son plays for the Steinbach Pistons. They stopped and paid respect at the crash site and did a little reflecting on life.

“You still see the skid marks”: Steinbach Pistons stop at Humboldt Broncos crash site

crash site.jpg

As the Steinbach Pistons — the 2018 Manitoba Junior Hockey League champions — headed to Nipawin for Game 3 of the ANAVET Cup, they made a special stop along the way.

“I don’t think we really understood the magnitude of how powerful visiting the crash site was going to be,” Pistons coach Paul Dyck said, describing how the team made their way to the scene of the collision where 16 people in the Humboldt Broncos organization lost their lives last month.

“As we neared it, 10, 15 kilometers prior to that intersection, there was a different anticipation. The bus was very quiet, the guys were all looking forward through the windshield,” he continued. “And then the moment we arrived, it was really something I hadn’t ever experienced before — it was incredibly sobering.”

Stienback 2.jpg
The Pistons are battling the Nipawin Hawks for the right to go to Chilliwack for the RBC Cup, Canada’s National Junior A Championship. The Hawks were in a series with the Broncos during the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League playoffs when the crash took place on April 6.

Many of the Steinbach Pistons knew players on the Broncos. One of the people injured in the crash was former Steinbach Piston, Matthieu Gomercic, who was traded to the Broncos in 2016.
“I thought initially it might be five minutes that we would be [at the crash site], but we were probably there for 20, 25 minutes,” Dyck recounted, saying being at the site was an important step in the healing process for many of his players.
“We wanted to make sure that everybody had enough time to pay their respects.”

Classy Steinbach, very classy!!

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Doesn't seem like its been a year, as of yesterday, that this happened. Watched E-60 on ESPN 2 this morning, as it was about how things have went over the last year with some of the families and the team. Was interesting to watch. Its on again at 6 for those that are interested.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79