Casting Rod Recommendations for Trolling???

defiant1

Honored Member
I picked up (2) Quantum Accurist PT baitcaster reels that I would like to pair up with rods that would be used trolling for walleye. I would be using Lindy Rigs, Spinner baits, Slow Death rigs, bottom bouncers, etc.

This will be my first time using the baitcaster rod/reel setup for trolling. I have seen guys use them with success, so I am going to give it a whirl.

What length, action, make/model is recommended?

d1
progress.gif

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fish the scheels walleye series rods in 7 ft, 1 piece, Medium fast action. Seems to work fine for me.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a sale on for the outfitter rods combo for $99 - reg $129. Anybody know if they have a better deal in May?

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
St. Croix eyecon series bounce and troll. They are a moderate action.

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a couple of the Jason Mitchell bottom bouncer rods and like them

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
G Loomis E6X 7ft in the heavy fast...... and I pick the heavy fast so when your trolling your rod don't look like it's already got a fish on it, this is my #1 go to rod when trolling, paired with a Diawa Tatula reel 6:3:1 ratio
FB_IMG_1547136148928.jpg

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been trolling bb with baitcasters since I was 9, I'm 50 now. Dad was a baitcaster fan, so I grew up using them, And IMO trolling with them is the best way to go. I've only started fishing with high end quality rods in the last five years. One thing that's a MUST for me is for the rod to have a spot right behind the real where your trigger finger rests in the rod blank itself, no matter how high end of rod you choose. My two main bb rids right now are a G-Loomis that runs about $265 new that I picked up on eBay for $120. I'll check the numbers on it Ina bit. Last year I picked up a St Croix and both are the best bb rods I've ever used. The GLoomis is better though, but I haven't used the Croix enough yet. If I were to get another one I'd pick up a REAL GLoomis from Gary's new company Temple Fork. I just picked up the new jigging rod from them, and side by side with the coveted NRX GLoomis, I didn't see much difference, except I like the handle on the TF better. This wasn't on a boat just handling them inside.

- - - Updated - - -

The St Croix is a Premier 6'6" Med power fast action. Got it for $65 on EBay used. The Premier series is the cheaper St Croix has. The Loomis is a CBR 845 7' Med Heavy mod-fast action. I got it used also, both were scuffed a bit here and there and the Loomis has an eyelet messed up a bit. But both have excellent sensitivity, and backbone.

I will never forget fishing with my old buddy Ron. He was from the Black Hills and pulled bb around Deerfield lake. So he knew about how to pull them but his light action rods and spincast reels... well they sucked.. he couldn't tell if he had a 20" fish or 10" fish. I got so tired of getting the net for dinks, I made a new rule. Don't say net until you SEE the fish lol. Once he was taking a leak or something and his rod had a bite, so he told me to catch it for him, so I did. That shit rod he had SMH...I could tell there was a fish but the rod felt like mush lol. I sure miss my old fishing buddy, even though it was a pain letting him bring his own rods n tackle. RIP Ron

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The outfitters have a ton of rods and are having a sale this weekend.

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the same reels and paired them up with a Fenwick 7'2" Medium Action. I've been using that set up for the last couple years and they work well for me. You will like those reels - good quality and the flippin' switch is great for bottom bouncing.

defiant1

Honored Member
I have the same reels and paired them up with a Fenwick 7'2" Medium Action. I've been using that set up for the last couple years and they work well for me. You will like those reels - good quality and the flippin' switch is great for bottom bouncing.

7' medium action and how ever deep your wallet is.
\

So, you haven't had any issues with the action being to "stiff" and potentially missing fish? The medium action 6'6" Fenwick I have gives me that concern. But maybe it is too short and that exacerbates the rigid feel.

d1

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've caught perch on spinners with the heavy fast, I don't think your going to miss fish..... the rod I have is so sensitive I can feel 3" perch nipping the tail of the worm and sometimes set the hook and that little 3" perch is on the hook

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a Loomis crank rod that I bought used. The weight and action are great for raps or bottom bouncers.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been using the Scheels tournament 6'8 to 7'1 rods in medium heavy and am impressed with the rods, also have some 13 omens and fates in the same lengths in medium and medium heavy and have no complaints on either. I do have a few in fast and extra fast and prefer the fast action for heavier bouncers as the tip will load better. Lighter tackle I'll use the xtra fast.

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
\

So, you haven't had any issues with the action being to "stiff" and potentially missing fish? The medium action 6'6" Fenwick I have gives me that concern. But maybe it is too short and that exacerbates the rigid feel.

d1[/QUOTE
No problems at all. The 7'2" rod seems to work perfectly for me....2 ounce bottom bouncers with no problems...you can put it in a holder and tell when a fish hits. It is for sure softer than the 6'6" rod and loads up nicely when you set the hook.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not to soft. I have both Loomis bouncer rod and eyecon imo neither are any better then some of my bass rods. Loomis will pull a 2oz better. Guys this is ND bb are bonehead fishing don't
Over buy. Bass pro Scheels keep it under a Benjamin

- - - Updated - - -

Sak 1/2slip bb in 10 15 fow= spinning rod. August deep 2 1/2 to 3 0z (windy) mh rod.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74