Good News Guys, I'm starting my own conservation group................

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're over thinking it !

121309863.wZVA50Bo.ManCarryingWaterBuckets.jpg

Last edited:

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I watered to water a row of trees around 10 acre plot, I had a tank in my truck and used lay flat hose with holes every 16 inches that lined up with the tree spacing. I plugged the end of the lay flat, and opened the tank. I could water 150 feet at a time. farmer next to the trees ended up cultivating them out so a huge waste of time.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is GREAT!!! Had an awesome conservation minded individual offer a 350 gallon truck bed water tank that I can use for my project for at least this year!! I'm pretty sure it will fit the bill just fine. Thank You for your kindness and generosity!!! I really appreciate it. I have a 1/4 horse transfer pump so I can fill the tank from the nearest accessible water source and I can swing the cost of an ATV tank myself, so the effort is already coming together!!!! Now I need to contact Mr. Kietzman, who I'm sure will be surprised when I ask him for the permits to access the WMA to water the new block. Hopefully I can get the OK to place the protective fencing at the same time, and this NUTBALL IDEA is on the MOVE!!!! YEAH!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I watered to water a row of trees around 10 acre plot, I had a tank in my truck and used lay flat hose with holes every 16 inches that lined up with the tree spacing. I plugged the end of the lay flat, and opened the tank. I could water 150 feet at a time. farmer next to the trees ended up cultivating them out so a huge waste of time.

Well that sucks!! I had a snowmobile "Top" 40 or so of my 4 ft evergreens so now I have 4 ft everbushes, so I understand your frustration. Hope that isn't even a possibility for this deal.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think if it's dry enough the trees need water I don't think the truck will leave ruts.

Here on Pipestem they really cut deer damage by simply using those white plastic sleeves. I would think if you come up with a name as suggested (Public Land Volunteers) one could go to stores NRCS etc and ask for donations of material. One may not get much, but hit three or four stores and you would be doing ok. I'll be around for I think half of June. I'll contact you and see if I can help then.

I really admire what your doing KDM. I'm willing to go around Jamestown and see what I can get for contributions of material when I get back home. It would be great if I could say I was collecting contributions for X, Y, or Z.

Last edited:

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM instead of the hog panels try using a rolls of welded wire mesh that is used in concrete. The rolls are 5' x 150' and cost around $100 a roll and can be cut to the size needed.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe I'm off base here, but I was thinking that getting to the block might be problematic sometimes which is why I was thinking ATV. Regardless, it will probably be up to the Land Manager as to what vehicle he would want going to and thru the block. He's never dealt with this either so I guess we'll figure it out together. Thanks gst, but Minot is a loooooooong way from Lamoure that the fuel costs would almost be enough to just buy a tank. LOL!! I have a 3/4 ton truck with an 8ft bed so I can tote a fair sized tank, so maybe a single trip in each watering event with the truck (w/water) and trailer (w/atv) might be the best way and then use the atv to make the rounds through the block. IDK, but a guy has to start somewhere. My idea here is to have the ability to get the job done no matter the conditions. The fence thing is a one time trip for the most part. Either way, I have 3 weeks to get my shrite together. Glad I won't be rushed.
Well we have a couple fellas from up here going to school in Fargo that run back and forth with pickups so let me know. My guess is a case of something might cover freight.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think if it's dry enough the trees need water I don't think the truck will leave ruts.

Here on Pipestem they really cut deer damage by simply using those white plastic sleeves. I would think if you come up with a name as suggested (Public Land Volunteers) one could go to stores NRCS etc and ask for donations of material. One may not get much, but hit three or four stores and you would be doing ok. I'll be around for I think half of June. I'll contact you and see if I can help then.

I really admire what your doing KDM. I'm willing to go around Jamestown and see what I can get for contributions of material when I get back home. It would be great if I could say I was collecting contributions for X, Y, or Z.

Thanks PG for the help and if I have to have a name, I guess Public Land Volunteers is just as good as anything for a description. However, right now I don't plan on having a full blown 501c3 org. Mostly because it's just me and the guy who is letting me use his water tank. If, over time, this idea grows into something bigger, I'll do what's needed to keep it going. As far as the sleeves, I've used those plastic sleeves, but with deciduous trees, it's been my experience that the deer come along in the winter and nip the growing tip right off above the sleeve and the tree at best gets scrubbed down and at worst dies. The hog fence keeps the deer far enough away to protect the growing tip and only the branches that stick out the fence get pruned off. As to using the truck, I hope that's the way it works out. The G&F mows between the tree rows every so often so I'm not to worried about inside the blocks, just the entry and exit routes and what kind of trail we'll leave behind.

Obi, I plan on using hog fence, not panels. Hog fence is about 4 ft tall and comes in a roll as well. The wire is about the size of a pencil lead and is stiff enough to stand up pretty well to the ice and snow weight that inevitable shows up around here. I'm not as familiar with the woven wire you're talking about as I've only used the 1/4 inch square stuff to keep mink, weasels, and other critters out of my chicken coop, but I'm all ears for suggestions on how to do stuff. Thanks!!

I've been researching ATV tanks, but does anyone have some real life experiences using these things in pastures or in the fields that can give me some insights into what works and what doesn't. I don't want to have to use a pump right now as I don't have one to use. LOL!! It'll be simple gravity for now. Thanks!!

- - - Updated - - -

Got a truck bed water tank to use for now gst!! Thanks for the offer!!

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
What kind of ATV do you have? Not sure how much water you would be able to haul. You could very easily rig up 30 gallon plastic barrels with spigot and hose. Couple 2x 4's for a saddle and a couple straps. Just a thought.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a Grizzly 700. I was thinking 35 gallons tops for a tank so those barrels would work if I could ratchet them down enough to holdem through the bounces and bumps. That's pushin' 300 lbs of water plus my fat azz. Pretty sure I don't want to overdo the machine too much. Thanks for the idea. That's definitely a low cost option.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool Allen. I like the lazy man methodology!! Well Done!!!

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
4x 4's wide enough to cradle the barrel laying down should keep from jumping around very much. And then just use the top bung to fill and the bottom with the spigot.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got all those pieces except the barrels. I'll be sniffing around for them if I can't set down on a good ATV tank to buy. Thanks!!!

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
that 700 should be able to tow about 1500 pounds. Haul about 750 pounds??

water is 8 pounds a gallon.. don't forget to subtract off the weight of the trailer/ drum/ tank.

Don't want to overload the equipment. That should give you an idea of how many gallons you can haul or tow.

AND if you load water on that offroader, be very careful on inclines/slopes. You have just increased the center of gravity on that critter. I'd recommend pulling a trailer with the UTV if the land is not very level.

I have a 25 gallon weed sprayer tank I haul on the bed of my 1000cc off roader. Barely notice it is there when full. Using it to control Canadian Thistle on 57 aces of CRP. Think mine is rated to haul 1000 pounds or tow 2000.

That 350 gallon tank will overload that UTV towing capacity by quite a bit if you fill er up; careful.

good luck

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got all those pieces except the barrels. I'll be sniffing around for them if I can't set down on a good ATV tank to buy. Thanks!!!

I can get you 55 gallon barrels. They are either blue or white plastic ones

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
AND if you load water on that offroader, be very careful on inclines/slopes. You have just increased the center of gravity on that critter. I'd recommend pulling a trailer with the UTV if the land is not very level.
Solid advise right there. My son in law had a spray tank mounted on the back of his atv for field edges, ditches, ect. Damned thing came over on him and thank the Lord he made it through, but it was bad. Life flight, 3 brain surgeries, coma, meningitis. After that I wouldn't even load my wheeler on flat ground with no tank. I'd highly recommend towing. Best of luck KDM!

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the ideas, thoughts, and well wishes. Much of what I will be able to do will depend on the land manager and what he will allow on the wma. If he gives me a vehicle permit to use the truck all summer, then that's what I'll do and I have most of that covered. However, if he only permits ATV's, that's when it gets a little more interesting. I do have a trailer, that I can put the big water tank on that I can pull with my ATV, but again, it depends on what I can get a vehicle permit to use. I sure don't want to water with 35 gallons at a time, but I'll do what is needed. I'm getting ready to head out for paddledrinking, so I'll have some time to think about this project when I'm in between casting sessions. Keep the good advice coming. I'm learning on the job for this one.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I second the plastic sleeves. Where I grew up near the Twin Cities, the urban deer were pretty thick. A nearby landowner had a 40 of CRP and decided it would have better future residential building appeal if he planted Sherwood Forest. Couple thousand white sleeves dotting the rolling CRP looked like shit for years, but I'll be damned if they didn't work. Fast forward a couple decades, and you'd hardly know there was prairie where the woods are now.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll use'em if I get'em. Those are way better than a bare tree.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just spitballin here, but can you just drain water off of any pothole for watering? I seem to remember something about draining wetlands and such. Not sure if that pertains here but maybe something to look into so you don't get into any trouble.

Planting trees is very rewarding, also very frustrating, however I think you've got plenty of experience in both, good luck

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69