Good News Guys, I'm starting my own conservation group................

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I finally got mad enough to put my money where my mouth is just like Vollmer did with this AWESOME web site. With all the garbage flying around about who takes money from who, who voted for who, and blah blah blah, I took it upon myself to find out where and how an average schmuck like me can do some good to improve the wildlife habitat on PUBLIC land WITHOUT, I repeat, WITHOUT being political. I have my own land, but I can only plant so many trees and allow so many hunters to hunt it. Great News Guys..........IT CAN BE DONE!!! Unfortunately, I can only speak for the SE region of ND as I had to speak to the District Land Manager Brian Kietzman and we had a very positive conversation which gave me some real hope I can do something good for ND. We figured out TWO, I repeat TWO ways we average schmoes can DIRECTLY help improve public land habitat to make it more productive for all of us and here they are:

1. The G&F Regional Manager already has a robust program of tree plantings for every year that they plant with machine and use their people. What they DON'T have is a program to WATER the seedlings once they are in the ground. They don't have the personnel or the equipment. Mr. Kietzman has expressed an intense interest in working with a private group of volunteer sportsmen with vehicle access permits and the like if we would be interested in committing to watering their tree plantings to increase the survival rates of those plantings. Lack of water is responsible for a tremendous die off of young trees and this is a way I can significantly impact habitat in a meaningful way. I'm going to look into getting a water tank for my truck and a tank for my atv so I can go water this years tree planting. I would welcome any help, but I'm doing it with or without anyone's help. The planting is scheduled for the 21st of May on the Seth Gordon WMA. I'll be there to help and work with Mr. Kietzman on a watering regiment that will work best with the soil types, topography, and tree species in that planting.

2. The G&F Regional Manager has no program to PROTECT these seedlings from deer damage or rodent damage during those first 5 years or so when the seedlings are just starting out. I've had great luck using hog fence and "T" posts to protect small trees from deer damage and sections of drain tile work great to keep the rodents from girdling the trees. I propose to start a fund that will buy these materials and I will spend ALL the donations on those materials to put up fences around these trees. If I get 100 bucks, I will buy enough stuff to protect as many trees as I can with 100 bucks. I'm chipping in time and fuel to get it done.

SO, here's the deal. If anyone wants to help, give me a shout and I'll see what I can do and I CHALLENGE all those nay sayers that like to give lip service to conservation and habitat improvement to show up on location and do something instead of just talk about it. I have NO IDEA how this will go, but I'm willing to run with it. I'd like to have a bunch of guys with me this year, but I'll be doing this by myself if I have to. Unfortunately, this is only for the SE region of ND for now, but I see no reason why others can't contact their district managers and run with this idea in their area. Now I need to start pricing truck and atv tanks. HERE I GO!!!!!!!!!!!

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM,

Great work my friend. One idea may be the plastic tanks farmers use in the metal cage, I know some used for fertilizer that would work. I think one way would be to rig a pump to pull from a local slew. Let me do some checking on some I may have available from a farmer next to me. I checked into getting some trees on a WPA next to me few years back with Pheasants forever, but was told it was federal and tree planting would be a challenge. We may have to have more conversations. Again, excellent work.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, they probably won't like trees being planted on a WPA. They think of them as roosts for predators of young ducks, so it defeats the "Production" part of the WPA.

Overall, KDM you are on a damn roll here. I have a tree watering system I setup for my own plantings. It's just a 250 gallon tank I bought used off of BisManOnline, and then I attached an old RV water pump to it so I don't have to depend on gravity flow rates. I hope to burn out the current pump so I have reason to upgrade to an even larger pump in the future, it's kind of anemic even if it does get the job done. One nice thing about this is you can also spike the water with a little fertilizer a couple times a year to give the trees a boost.

So take a gander at BisMan, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a usable tank on there for ya.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you have a name yet...PLV....Public land volunteers sounds good. How much to to join? Do you have a cool logo? Can I get a Jacket with the logo?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I knew this would be fun. OK here goes....

Looked at the caged water tanks, but there's an issue with weight unless it's in the truck bed. I don't want to run trucks out into the wma as that will leave a rut trail and I don't want to make a permanent trail. An atv would work better I think, but I don't have a tank that fits on my atv so I'm looking for suggestions on what works on both flat land as well as hillsides. Some of the atv tanks I looked at sit up pretty tall. Thanks Allen, I looked at that tank, but I don't have a bunch of cash laying around to just go buy tanks, so for now, I'm looking to borrow stuff if I can. Thanks for the heads up. If push comes to shove, I might burn my fur check on watering stuff. We'll see.

Haven't thought of a name yet. It's just me right now and I have a name so for now how about Guy who needs water tanks........club.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ah, gotcha on the sizing thing. If you have a UTV (not an ATV), you could probably get about a 60-80 gallon tank that can ride in the back (just guessing that my Pioneer would hold one about that size). On an ATV you'd be limited to something that is quite a bit smaller, like maybe a 35 gallon tank and that would make for a lot of tank refills to water most tree plantings. Even for bare-root conservation plantings, I'd think you'd want to give them about a gallon apiece in order to get the water deep enough for the tree to try and "chase" the water at depth.

Again, I'd recommend a 12V pump on a garden hose. Even though I'm pulling my water tank on a 14 ft trailer with the UTV, I just sit in the driver's seat with the garden hose run up to the cab, and the pump allows me to spray from the driver's seat. What can I say, I'm lazy enough to figure out how to do it with the least amount of getting in and out of the UTV.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well done KDM! Glad to see this happening and wish you nothing but success! I hope this idea spreads like an infection to the rest of the state!

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you really need to water? Every shelter belt in N.D. was planted and let mother nature take its course. They all grew just fine, I think there success rate was like 85%.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you really need to water? Every shelter belt in N.D. was planted and let mother nature take its course. They all grew just fine, I think there success rate was like 85%.

Hopefully not. If we get enough rain on the new planting every year (with info from the land manager) then any left over funds can be used to purchase protective supplies. That way regardless of what the need is, the average guy can have a direct and positive hand in improving the habitat THEY will be able to enjoy.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Ah, gotcha on the sizing thing. If you have a UTV (not an ATV), you could probably get about a 60-80 gallon tank that can ride in the back (just guessing that my Pioneer would hold one about that size). On an ATV you'd be limited to something that is quite a bit smaller, like maybe a 35 gallon tank and that would make for a lot of tank refills to water most tree plantings. Even for bare-root conservation plantings, I'd think you'd want to give them about a gallon apiece in order to get the water deep enough for the tree to try and "chase" the water at depth.

Again, I'd recommend a 12V pump on a garden hose. Even though I'm pulling my water tank on a 14 ft trailer with the UTV, I just sit in the driver's seat with the garden hose run up to the cab, and the pump allows me to spray from the driver's seat. What can I say, I'm lazy enough to figure out how to do it with the least amount of getting in and out of the UTV.

We have done a bit of watering on tree plantings and it does take a fair bit more water than you think to get soil soaked to the degree it lasts and does much. The number of trips with a atv versus a pickup will likely cause as much damage.

50 gal is a fair load for a 4 wheeler in any kind of terrain where 350 in a 3/4 truck is a light load. 7 trips vrs 1.

kdm I have a slide in lo pro 350 gal tank if you want to try and see if it works for you.

Well done with taking the initiative. Good luck.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
giphy.gif

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe I'm off base here, but I was thinking that getting to the block might be problematic sometimes which is why I was thinking ATV. Regardless, it will probably be up to the Land Manager as to what vehicle he would want going to and thru the block. He's never dealt with this either so I guess we'll figure it out together. Thanks gst, but Minot is a loooooooong way from Lamoure that the fuel costs would almost be enough to just buy a tank. LOL!! I have a 3/4 ton truck with an 8ft bed so I can tote a fair sized tank, so maybe a single trip in each watering event with the truck (w/water) and trailer (w/atv) might be the best way and then use the atv to make the rounds through the block. IDK, but a guy has to start somewhere. My idea here is to have the ability to get the job done no matter the conditions. The fence thing is a one time trip for the most part. Either way, I have 3 weeks to get my shrite together. Glad I won't be rushed.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would put an order in for well timed rain showers if I thought it would help and if I thought Mother Nature would give 2 sh#ts about anything I had to say. Good luck to your project!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66