Good News Guys, I'm starting my own conservation group................

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The public land volunteers are still up and running. I got everything put together thanks to a couple gracious NDA members. In fact I received a 50 dollar check from a NDA supporter that I didn't need to cash. I should probably let him know and thank him again. I assembled 2 full up watering systems using 250 gallon totes and 12 volt pumps, have the conditional use permits from the regional land manager, and the whole nine yards. Didn't have to water one time, which was awesome. I couldn't get the land manager to spring for tree tubes, which I was willing to install for nothing, as he didn't think he needed them. The 15 acre plot of trees was east of lamoure and was rained on every week all summer. The trees look GREAT!! The good thing is I'm all set for next year, right out of the gate. Thanks for asking.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
That Seth Gordan area I shot a lot of Deer and Pheasants on that land. Its a shame they took the most of the trees out.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’d be willing to help KDM! I also am planning to plant some fruit trees this spring. I intend to use chemical cages to protect them from deer.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’d be willing to help KDM! I also am planning to plant some fruit trees this spring. I intend to use chemical cages to protect them from deer.

Thanks Enslow!! Hog fence works real well on my hunting land to keep deer at bay and it's worked to keep the deer off the trees in the backyard all winter when we feed them. I've got some extra if you want to give it a whirl.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
That did work well for your trees and yes I would like to try some. Thanks!

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Being doing this for some time but have not requested others to help as i want it to myself. But have found that watering is not an issue and in fact i am surprise how well evergreens do without killing the weeds in new planting. db

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Being doing this for some time but have not requested others to help as i want it to myself. But have found that watering is not an issue and in fact i am surprise how well evergreens do without killing the weeds in new planting. db
This is true to some degree. I think it helps shade them in the summer and cover them with snow in the winter so they don't brown and burn as bad.

CrankB8

Founding Member
Founding Member

I'll have a shit ton of cages you can have once spring starts...lots of folks doing this now as you won't have to pound any posts in. Hog fence works good too but if you want some cages let me know.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll have a shit ton of cages you can have once spring starts...lots of folks doing this now as you won't have to pound any posts in. Hog fence works good too but if you want some cages let me know.

wow - people don't re-use those things???

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member

I may be missing something here on what type of cages you are talking about, what kind do you guys use that don't require staking down? I use welded wire ones for the most part and have to pound a stake in and weave some of the wire through the stake or the deer just knock the dam cage over. I used to cut the bottom wire off all the way around and push the bottom metal points into the ground. That was a pain in the ass to do and the deer would still occasionally knock them over. I'm always looking for easier ways to protect small trees, so any info or a pic of what you guys use would be great.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I may be missing something here on what type of cages you are talking about, what kind do you guys use that don't require staking down? I use welded wire ones for the most part and have to pound a stake in and weave some of the wire through the stake or the deer just knock the dam cage over. I used to cut the bottom wire off all the way around and push the bottom metal points into the ground. That was a pain in the ass to do and the deer would still occasionally knock them over. I'm always looking for easier ways to protect small trees, so any info or a pic of what you guys use would be great.

We use hog fence held down with weed barrier staples or pins. We have heavy deer pressure where these trees are as you can see by the pounded in trails and it works like a charm.

DSC00133.jpg

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member

I will take them! Thank you for the offer!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 71