The Great Minnesota Muskie War

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
i have zero issue with stocking skis in already established lakes but the bs about stocking new lakes and it having no effect is bogus. Lets stock an apex predator into a new body of water and tell everyone it wont change a thing.... akin to wolves being introduced and telling everyone the deer hunting will get better.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have zero issue with stocking skis in already established lakes but the bs about stocking new lakes and it having no effect is bogus. Lets stock an apex predator into a new body of water and tell everyone it wont change a thing.... akin to wolves being introduced and telling everyone the deer hunting will get better.

Randy: One would think that with your scientific background (albeit geological in nature) you would review the RESEARCH and read the numerous peer-reviewed articles on the topic that prove once and for all musky fisherman are out of their GD minds......

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a chemist

here's my pic from the yearbook

nuttyprofessor1963.4739_063020140135.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

class of 63

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the lakes already have muskies, I'm not sure what the deal would be. Except all the little girls getting their feet bitten off.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the lakes already have muskies, I'm not sure what the deal would be. Except all the little girls getting their feet bitten off.

Yes, from what I gather muskies only bite off the feet of little girls. Have any papers or articles been published on this topic? I find the muskies interest in human-based forage absolutely intriguing! From what I've read, human feet (specifically the feet of little girls) rank as a close 2nd to the muskies preferred forage, sander vitreus.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep in mind I am talking about and referencing two lakes in Ottertail County that have had muskies stocked for the last 50 years, Pelican Lake and West Battle. Please also keep in mind that I am on Lake Lida, which is also located in Ottertail County. Also remember that both of these lakes property values have gone up 500-1000% the past 20 some years.

Again, both of the lakes in question have had muskies for many, many years and they are both excellent walleye lakes as well, especially Pelican. Now why after all this time do some people want to stop stocking muskies after all these years with no apparent decline in any other fishing. Is it because the lakes are busier because of the significant increase in muskie fishing? Is it because the lakes are busier in general and they're just using the muskie because most people will buy into hype about all the walleye getting eaten and children will be attacked while swimming?

What would happen if they stop stocking muskie and eventually the population is not conducive to fishing for them? That would certainly keep muskie fishermen off the lake.

Now that the muskie fishermen are gone, what if they get tired of people coming to their lake for walleye fishing? Lida is a pretty good walleye fishery and I know every weekend the boat ramps are full of people that don't live on the lake. What is to stop lake associations from tying to get state laws changed regarding public access to their lake? Heck, they're already using ANS as a means to shut down public access on nearby Sally and Melisa in Becker County.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2012/07/07/regional/invasive-species

I'm still not sold on the privatize lake angle. Not stocking muskies may eventually reduce muskie fishermen. And then to contend they would go after walleye, well its laughable. So you contend, that by not stocking muskies, that someday (30 years???) it will privatize a public lake? That's a looooooonnnnng stretch IMO.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Funny, but I think it was confirmed an otter after the second attack on the same lake last year. You sure are clever, You!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm still not sold on the privatize lake angle. Not stocking muskies may eventually reduce muskie fishermen. And then to contend they would go after walleye, well its laughable. So you contend, that by not stocking muskies, that someday (30 years???) it will privatize a public lake? That's a looooooonnnnng stretch IMO.

We'll see how it all shakes out years down the road. Why the change after 50 years, then?

Why not just give into the rest of the world and get rid of assault weapons? What's the big deal, still lots of other guns to own, right?

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
Funny, but I think it was confirmed an otter after the second attack on the same lake last year. You sure are clever, You!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

We'll see how it all shakes out years down the road. Why the change after 50 years, then?

Why not just give into the rest of the world and get rid of assault weapons? What's the big deal, still lots of other guns to own, right?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH yes. NOW I 'get it'. Time to fire up the 28th amendment?! I THINK SO!

Do you have any language to propose MM?

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
The right to stock and fish muskies shall not be infringed upon by politicians, pussies and whiners.

Casey Buchholz

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't comment often but I do have experience fishing Pelican and the surrounding area over the past 15 years. Whenever the overall musky population seems on the large side the fishing in those lakes for both walleye and pike is definitely better and populations seem healthier. I wish they used muskies as a way to help clean up some of the smaller lakes as well because I hate all the stunted skinny pike in them.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
What! Wait! I thought only Land Tawney and liberals were against expanding hunting and fishing opportunities! #$%^&>
had to go there..........

Hunting and fishings "protector"...............;)

- - - Updated - - -

MM, why do you get so "take no prisoners" so quickly? Is a discussion not healthy?

Unless you ask a question...............:)

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
MM I have no problem with the stocking of muskies in lakes that have them or the continued practice on lakes. I'm not sure why people want it to stop. Maybe ask them? Scare tactics and accusations divide people. Then you bring in banning assault weapons? Another scare tactic. If the science is on your side, stick with it.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Apparently some even here are still stuck on the idea that muskie and walleye just don't get along, which just does not appear to be the case from several studies. If you're still stuck on that issue you really don't know what you're talking about. The top muskie lakes in the state are the top muskie lakes as well. When people start talking that the muskie will eat all their walleye, they just lose all credibility with me. Sorry.

You're not shitting me are you?

When I read the title I thought for sure it was going to be something to the effect of:

"To pickle, or not to pickle. That is the question: Whether 'tis noble-sportsmanier to suffer the ridicule of disbelief of an out of focus photograph and an audibly visible ga-faw over the one that ""got away"", Or put the knife to that silver-striped bitch warding off the ocean of jealous gaukers, nay-sayers, and mortally jealous do-nothings who'll never know the pleasures of the pickle-jar?".

My kingdom, my kingdom, my kingdom for a pickle-emoji.

Last edited:

Tlauz

My concern is who decides how we manage lakes. I will trust the people whose job it is to make decisions based on the best scientific data available. I do not think owning a cabin should give a person more of a right to decide what swims in the lake. Studies show Muskies do not have a significant impact on walleyes. Minnesota's muskie program is considered the best in the country. It would be a shame to go backwards. I think the makeup of some of these lakes has changed due to ANS and some fisherman have not adapted. They expect to catch fish the same way they did 15 years ago. If they can't catch fish, they have to blame someone or something, because it can't be their fault.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do what's best for the lake and the environment. If they fit in then let it ride and stock them. Makes me wonder why we hire these guys, or most politicians for that matter. "I'm gonna poll my constituants". We didn't hire you to conduct a poll. We hired you because supposedly you are smarter than the average citizen and on certain subjects you should do what's right, not what's popular.
Do the great people of WI know your fishing is so good?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76