The Great Minnesota Muskie War

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not a mushky fisherman, but do love to target big pike. I have no problem with stocking of muskies in general, but do agree with others, the regulations that come with it are frustrating (e.g. should be able to spear lakes like Audubon, new Johns, chain lakes but can’t because of mushkies).

With that said I agree with musky maniac in that there are lake cabin/home owners that do not want you fishing for anything, not just Muskies! They want their lake loaded with their fish of preference, and they frown upon anyone utilizing that resource because by gosh they bought an overpriced cabin and want to use it in peace! They want their lake stocked with fish from funds generated from public monies, but want exclusive access to a state resource.

So ya anyways.. stock Muskies (where it makes sense) but get rid of restrictions like Shorty said...

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i would tend to agree with the idea that big predators are gonna lead to better genetics and a better fishery in general. even in pan fish lakes. but, that's just the armchair biologist in me. regarding keeping your lake more privater: any time you add another species of fisherman to the lake its gonna increase the traffic in said lake. if i gots a strictly bass lake and add some pickling size muskies, its gonna increase musky maniacs on my lake. so, i can see MM's argument or what he envisions is true motivation for the anti musky movement. guessing he is to be honest with you. but, again... no real clue... just an unedumecated guesstimate

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
it would seem easier to just put muskie-like rules in place for northerns - soon you’d have huge northerns serving the same function - no stocking required, no politics

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
This debate is not about fish and their effect on the lake. If you spend the time and read the information, it is about the county controlling the stocking of fish regardless of the biological facts. It comes down to lake property owners getting to decide what is stocked or not stocked in the lake.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
My concern is who decides how we manage lakes. I will trust the people whose job it is to make decisions based on the best scientific data available. I do not think owning a cabin should give a person more of a right to decide what swims in the lake. Studies show Muskies do not have a significant impact on walleyes. Minnesota's muskie program is considered the best in the country. It would be a shame to go backwards. I think the makeup of some of these lakes has changed due to ANS and some fisherman have not adapted. They expect to catch fish the same way they did 15 years ago. If they can't catch fish, they have to blame someone or something, because it can't be their fault.

Couldn't have said it better. That's exactly what happened on Pelican with the zebra mussels. When they did a study of the fish in the lake it revealed all was good.

it would seem easier to just put muskie-like rules in place for northerns - soon you’d have huge northerns serving the same function - no stocking required, no politics

True, but pike will never get as long or as heavy as muskie, and do not fight like a muskie. That's like telling people to forget about shooting bucks and just hunt does. Yeah it's still a deer and is fun and all, but it doesn't get your heart racing like a big buck. I've never heard of "doe fever", haha.

This debate is not about fish and their effect on the lake. If you spend the time and read the information, it is about the county controlling the stocking of fish regardless of the biological facts. It comes down to lake property owners getting to decide what is stocked or not stocked in the lake.

This is exactly what is happening. Thy're just using the mean muskie as their means to an end. If you guys would do some reading on this matter in Ottertail County and you would be amazed at the politics involved. It's really sickening and maddening, but the sad thing is that it's going to effect the entire state.

I know I get a little excited when talking about this stuff and probably don't get my point off as well as I should, but anyone who like to fish Minnesota should be concerned about this.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know I get a little excited when talking about this stuff and probably don't get my point off as well as I should, but anyone who like to fish Minnesota should be concerned about this.

So it matters to about 14 people from ND?

Are there any 'Sconi forums one could publicize this big fish resource to keep them summbitches outta ND?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stock away. But open the rules on em.

I'm with you on this one. I hate the protective nature the state and musky fishermen are of this species.

If I ever catch one large enough to keep, I may put up a video of just how to butcher it. Because I sure as heck ain't gonna pay what it would take to mount the damn thing.

A fish in the water that you can't keep because of some law is worth next to nothing to me.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm with you on this one. I hate the protective nature the state and musky fishermen are of this species.

If I ever catch one large enough to keep, I may put up a video of just how to butcher it. Because I sure as heck ain't gonna pay what it would take to mount the damn thing.

A fish in the water that you can't keep because of some law is worth next to nothing to me.

So Allen, the people that like to fish for them and the people that manage them all agree about certain size limits and strongly promoting catch-and-release. Why do you think that is?

And talking about butchering one for spite is just trying to be antagonistic.

You know, if the fish isn't that important to you than just don't fish for them. It doesn't sound like you do anyway. Catch and release is what made MN muskie fishing what it is today.

Last edited:

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member

That's great, but it doesn't mean it isn't worth something to a lot of other people, economies, ecosystem etc. If we didn't have laws stating what you can and cant keep idiots would have every native fish extinct by now.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
Come on MM... you're better than the personal attack BS. I agree with your stance and hope to have access to good Musky fisheries for years to come as I am just getting into it. (Hoping can PM you for some info by the way) I also agree that some Lakehome Owners Associations are ripe with BS, corruption and numerous other things not necessarily in the best interest of the public lakes in which they lay claim to. I admire your passion and commitment to the topic and hope you keep us up to date, but, keep it to the facts and information though. The second you start lashing out you lose.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok ---now i had take out by old dusty armchair --- for some musky 101 biology:

1. Fact -- Musky eat walleyes --- they have the same hunger as cousins - Northern Pike and Barricuda -- they feed in the same method --- they are a fish for gods sake --- they all eat fish The spines on a walleye is no big deal

2. Fact - Pelican lake DNR coninues to stock FRY walleyes --- even at best 1% survival rate would net 15k that make it to a fingerling state.

3 Fact - what do muskys and northerns eat? - they eat everything including your foot.

4 Fact - what do they prefer for fish eats ---- Muskys like bullheads, whitefish, perch, walleye. Bullheads - we used to pull them big cranks that looked like a bullhead. If you look at Pelicans fish population bullys and whitfish have been decemiated over the years.

5 Fact - they do not fight any harder then a northern - given the proper time of year

6 Fact - they grow larger then a northern and become one of the largest fish in the lake ----hence that is the reason why musky fishermen want them as the Holy Grail.

7 Fact - if the late great Dale Henegar was alive --- we would have Zanders in all of lakes and we would have muskies stocked to the point where we would be feasting on them.

Bottom line --- i really dont care --- start stock fingerling walleyes MN and at the same time

Thats my BS for the day --- -have a good day

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member

Guess you've never seen the Friday afternoon Exodus from ND to MN in the summer huh? Similar to the one that happens from MN to ND in October.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

Guess you've never seen the Friday afternoon Exodus from ND to MN in the summer huh? Similar to the one that happens from MN to ND in October.

I would agree with this except most of those people are going over to update their patio furniture, have a Summer Shandy on the deck and maybe go out to Zorbaz for an app.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If muskies eat bullheads they are my new favorite fish I hate bullheads after years of catching those on the big Sioux river as a kid. I would stock muskies in the river to eat all of them. I have one of the biggest proponents of muskies pickling and giving MM shit but I agree with him this is more about a public access than stocking fish. So you help keep the national Forest public I will support the stocking of muskies on public water.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a negative rep for typing the word mushkie 3 times in my earlier post...hahaha Someone got butthurt with how I spelled it and thought I meant something bad by it. Classic snowflake behavior.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
If muskies eat bullheads they are my new favorite fish I hate bullheads after years of catching those on the big Sioux river as a kid. I would stock muskies in the river to eat all of them. I have one of the biggest proponents of muskies pickling and giving MM shit but I agree with him this is more about a public access than stocking fish. So you help keep the national Forest public I will support the stocking of muskies on public water.

We found the bullhead looking lure worked the best when trolling for em on DL. The muskies inc guys had an exact lure they used i dont remember -- i didnt have the correct leader on mine and i lost it otherwise i would post it. dem muskie lures are $$$$. Them muskies they like all them junk fish - carp, suckers woolys ---- its kinda like a steak --- you can get a ribeye (with more fat-bullhead) -- or a sirloin (walleye).

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hahaha short "what do they eat?" you say,like pike they eat everything they can,no science there~

dinner.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76