The Great Minnesota Muskie War

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont know about how musky maniac does it --- my musky days troll some big ole cranks that look like a bullhead in deep water. 10000 casts turn into only one round on a trolling pattern - you would get a fish.

I cast 95% of the time. Some trolling in the fall. I should troll more in open water (even cast for that matter), but it's a tough pattern to get confidence in. Plus the Optimax is not the best motor to troll with and I can't put a kicker on my boat.

- - - Updated - - -

Good little video I came across, never saw this one before.

I've read a lot of research papers over the years and one thing is certain....what logic might tell you is happening, or what you think might be clear-cut cause and effect, can be totally falsified when you study something and actually look at the results. Like my favorite professor always used to say to me, "show me the data!"

Now, if you're presented with data, multiple studies showing the same data, and you still choose not to believe it, then you're really just dealing with someone's opinion and they'll likely never change their mind anyway.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
15220031_1457321954296245_6825591585678173112_n.jpg

The Ladyslipper and the Chickadee also have their own plate so............:;:stirthepot

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screw it....I'm going to become a pan fisherman, then I won't have to worry about this stuff getting me worked up. Seriously, though, this is politics at it's finest (or worst). What a bunch of sleazebags some of these people are! Would love to see term limits for all elected officials--city, county, state, and federal.

This is from the Minnesota Muskie Alliance Facebook page:

As we reported a while back, Senator Ingebrigtsen used his leadership position to ram his anti-muskie legislation through the Senate.Meanwhile, due to overwhelming public opposition to it, there were no Legislators in the House supporting his agenda.
We were able to show House author Nornes that his own Ottertail County constituents did not want it.
Mary Franson, representing the rest of Ottertail County, fought hard for us based on massive input from her constituents against the bill.
We had the House locked up. The key Chair positions did not want to accept Ingebrigtsen's Senate language on the House version of the Omnibus Bill.
The final step, before going to the Governor, is that the Hose and Senate get together in conference committee to negotiate differences in their bills.
The House conferees fought against including the muskie language.
Senator Ingebrigtsen threw a fit. He threatened to leave, refusing to work on anything without inclusion of his anti-muskie language. Basically, he held all of the work of all of the state Legislators hostage, and demanded the inclusion of his garbage.
Eventually, in the name of moving forward, they caved in and accepted it.
So the anti-muskie language is on both the House and Senate Omnibus Bills!!!
Our course of action now is to go to the Governor. ASAP.
We need him to veto the final bill if it includes this.
He has done it before. We have gotten the veto twice in the past over terrible legislation like this!
We need a huge public push right now!
We need EVERYONE to call the Governors office. Tell them how terrible this language is for MN anglers. Tell them how Ingebrigtsen has no integrity, and has railroaded this entire thing. Ask the Governor to please refuse to sign any bill with any anti-muskie language in it!
CALL NOW!!
If he gets this, it's the beginning of the end for muskie fishing in Minnesota! This will be the stepping stone for stronger, and farther reaching attacks on muskie management!
Governor Dayton's Office: 651-201-3400
Call NOW!!
Thank you,
Aaron Meyer
MN Muskie and Pike Alliance

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
Adding muskies to a lake changes the regulations for that lake. No question. Adding muskies will change the use patterns of any lake they are put into. No question. If I had investments in the form of lake property on this lake, I'd be a bit hostile to changing any variable that might alter the path of my investment for a fish. MN has 10000 lakes supposedly, if the people that live on this lake don't want muskies, why force them to have them and claim there won't be an effect? I find it difficult to swallow that an alternative body of water can't be found where the local folks won't mind the muskies being there.

My issue with the situation is that people with lake cabins don't own the lake, they own the shoreline they bought.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
My issue with the situation is that people with lake cabins don't own the lake, they own the shoreline they bought.

No they don't own the lake, but changes to the lake can negatively impact their property (lower value).

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screw it....I'm going to become a pan fisherman, then I won't have to worry about this stuff getting me worked up. Seriously, though, this is politics at it's finest (or worst). What a bunch of sleazebags some of these people are! Would love to see term limits for all elected officials--city, county, state, and federal.

This is from the Minnesota Muskie Alliance Facebook page:

As we reported a while back, Senator Ingebrigtsen used his leadership position to ram his anti-muskie legislation through the Senate.Meanwhile, due to overwhelming public opposition to it, there were no Legislators in the House supporting his agenda.
We were able to show House author Nornes that his own Ottertail County constituents did not want it.
Mary Franson, representing the rest of Ottertail County, fought hard for us based on massive input from her constituents against the bill.
We had the House locked up. The key Chair positions did not want to accept Ingebrigtsen's Senate language on the House version of the Omnibus Bill.
The final step, before going to the Governor, is that the Hose and Senate get together in conference committee to negotiate differences in their bills.
The House conferees fought against including the muskie language.
Senator Ingebrigtsen threw a fit. He threatened to leave, refusing to work on anything without inclusion of his anti-muskie language. Basically, he held all of the work of all of the state Legislators hostage, and demanded the inclusion of his garbage.
Eventually, in the name of moving forward, they caved in and accepted it.
So the anti-muskie language is on both the House and Senate Omnibus Bills!!!
Our course of action now is to go to the Governor. ASAP.
We need him to veto the final bill if it includes this.
He has done it before. We have gotten the veto twice in the past over terrible legislation like this!
We need a huge public push right now!
We need EVERYONE to call the Governors office. Tell them how terrible this language is for MN anglers. Tell them how Ingebrigtsen has no integrity, and has railroaded this entire thing. Ask the Governor to please refuse to sign any bill with any anti-muskie language in it!
CALL NOW!!
If he gets this, it's the beginning of the end for muskie fishing in Minnesota! This will be the stepping stone for stronger, and farther reaching attacks on muskie management!
Governor Dayton's Office: 651-201-3400
Call NOW!!
Thank you,
Aaron Meyer
MN Muskie and Pike Alliance

I like to poke a little fun here and there, but this is quite the BS. I hope you get your veto.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
with the Muslims ripping the MN taxpayers off for tens or hundreds of millions of $$$ it seems the legislature has bigger fish to fry

thanks Obama

thanks Dayton

- - - Updated - - -

;:;hijacked

- - - Updated - - -

carry on!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some asked "if not walleyes,what do they eat?"

Well.any damn thing they want,ducks,turtles,I seen one go after a loon and seagull chasing em on the surface years back and they love pike~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH3mLHVfkNo

If that was devils lake --- by now two northerns would of hit that musky for fiddlin around and not eating his prey. I have even seen a walleye stab a northern when pulling em up.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
with the Muslims ripping the MN taxpayers off for tens or hundreds of millions of $$$ it seems the legislature has bigger fish to fry

thanks Obama

thanks Dayton

- - - Updated - - -

;:;hijacked

- - - Updated - - -

carry on!

2bdf35b4-a654-4862-86b4-c2d544b9b994_1.ce45aff32cfe9007cdfced6bac09ac95.jpeg

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.citypages.com/news/in-mi...anti-science-crowd-storms-the-field/484330021

Two years ago, when the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources planned to stock muskies in a chain of popular fishing spots near Brainerd, some residents revolted.
They worried the muskies would eat the walleye and crappies. They also worried that humans brave enough to venture into the water would get bitten.
Otter Tail County residents rustled up a campaign against the DNR and tried to pass anti-muskie stocking legislation in the spring of 2016. They failed, but succeeded in getting the DNR to halt the stocking of three lakes: Lizzie, Loon, and Franklin.
This year, the anti-muskie crowd martialed the help of Sen. Bill Ingebrigtsen, an Alexandria Republican, to get a broad bill introduced in the Senate that would have banned muskie stocking. It also called for yanking $100,000 from the game and fish fund to study Minnesotans’ attitudes about stocking.
The measure was eventually wittled down to just Otter Tail County, then rolled it into a spending bill like so many wads of Play-Doh fused into a single gargantuan ball. But it would fail to get traction. So they'll be back again next year.
Consider it the latest attempt at a citizen takeover of the DNR, one fueled in complete defiance of science.
“It’s the dumbest piece of legislation I’ve ever seen,” says Shawn Kellett of the Twin Cities chapter of Muskies Inc.
The DNR has already done countless studies on muskies. The general consensus: introducing them to lakes isn’t harmful to native fish populations. In fact, a 2012 study of 41 lakes even found their presence was sometimes helpful to the walleye.
DNR fisheries chief Don Pereira says muskies are “ecologically benign,” and draw in a growing number of people interested in catching big fish. Kellett thinks the legislation is trying to solve a problem that doesn’t exist, all while diverting the DNR’s attention and resources, and pitting muskie and walleye anglers against one another.
“It only serves to undermine the DNR in their attempt to create one of the best muskie fisheries in the world,” Kellett says.
Which is why he and others believe this isn’t about fish -- it’s about control.
“The muskies are just a smokescreen,” says John Underhill, the co-chair of the Minnesota Muskie Alliance. He thinks the legislation is one more attempt by local lake associations to wrest control from the DNR and reduce out-of-town boat traffic from muskie hunters. Though it's still a niche form of fishing, it's been growing fast.
In the end, this is an argument about everyone’s right to enjoy the water, he says. “Just because you own property on a lake doesn’t mean you own the lake.”

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75