Anyone snare rabbits?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well Done!! Makes a guy feel pretty good when ya catch what you're lookin' for. Unfortunately, where there's one there's 20 of them critters. F'n like rabbits had two meanings ya know. (Grin)

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Will they do ok without liquid water? Thats the main issue for me is having to provide water daily... I know my dog loves to eat snow, but not sure if cats are the same.
They must, ours always lived and I don't think we set out water.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice snare job! I use a pellet gun at home. Didn't have a good one of my own so I borrowed one and shot three in three days. Have a rabbit or two again and bought a nice new pellet gun and I have not seen a rabbit on my property since. A snare could be fun to try. Does anyone know if snared rabbits make the dreaded death squeal/flop combo when snared? I have neighbors close and would rather them not see or hear me killing the neighborhood critters.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
This one didnt make any noise that I was aware of. I had a pet rabbit once tho that if you tried to take it out of its cage would scream like the world was ending. It was more of a fertilizer machine than a pet really...

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I once put a live trap out because the rabbits were playing heck on our meager little city garden. Plus, every time they'd get in the yard, the Bros. Wirehair would go absolutely bonkers. So I set out a live trap near their entry point and waited.

For a solid two weeks, on a daily basis, I was successful. I caught something every damn day. Granted, none were rabbits. But I thinned our red squirrel population by a couple dozen. Got to the point I didn't even bait it. I left the friggin' thing open and the squirrels would still run in to investigate.

Wish I would have nabbed Peter, too, but the squirrels were a nice added bonus.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I once put a live trap out because the rabbits were playing heck on our meager little city garden. Plus, every time they'd get in the yard, the Bros. Wirehair would go absolutely bonkers. So I set out a live trap near their entry point and waited.

For a solid two weeks, on a daily basis, I was successful. I caught something every damn day. Granted, none were rabbits. But I thinned our red squirrel population by a couple dozen. Got to the point I didn't even bait it. I left the friggin' thing open and the squirrels would still run in to investigate.

Wish I would have nabbed Peter, too, but the squirrels were a nice added bonus.

Ive tried live traps for rabbits during the summer and never had any luck. I think there is just too much food around to entice them into going into a strange trap for a treat. In the winter is a different story tho, especially when there is a lot of snow on the ground... If they are hungry, you can get them!

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Left my snares set for the last few weeks, looks like I missed one overnight last night, might need to use stronger wire! Musta held the little bastard for a while as he made quite a mess!
20180608_073939[1].jpg

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
surprising... rabbits usually die of a heart attack instead of being strangled because they freak out so bad in a snare... you got a couple tough sombishes

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know what you caught, but I'll bet it wasn't a rabbit. Cat maybe. Use that thin cable like they hang framed pictures with. Also, make a trigger that tightens, but will not loosen. A simple piece of metal 1/2 inch wide and an inch long. Bend it 90 degrees in the center. Drill a hole in each side. They call him Bugs because that's what his eyes will do.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is it safe to eat rabbits this time of year, I seem to recall something about only eating rabbits taken in months that have and "R" in them?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, I think tularemia is more prevalent in the summer months. Or, maybe they just expect the rabbits to die from it during the onset of winter. Anyway, I know a couple guys that hunt rabbits and they pretty much restrict their hunting of them for food during the Dec-Feb timeframe.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know what you caught, but I'll bet it wasn't a rabbit. Cat maybe. Use that thin cable like they hang framed pictures with. Also, make a trigger that tightens, but will not loosen. A simple piece of metal 1/2 inch wide and an inch long. Bend it 90 degrees in the center. Drill a hole in each side. They call him Bugs because that's what his eyes will do.

Yeah I dunno, I was surprised by the amount of damage also. The hole I had it set on under my fence is fairly small. I dont see a cat going through there unless it was forced to, would be easier for it to just go over. Ive never seen an outdoor cat in my neighborhood, hence the rabbit problems I suppose... No way to know for sure what it was I guess!

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
weasel or mink the way the ground is tore up.

Oh man, wouldnt that have been cool to catch either of those! Ive never seen a mink before in town, but Im close to hay creek, near Sleepy Hollow park, so I suppose its possible! Have some pet rabbits in the yard so smell might attract predators. I did have a coyote run by the front of my house a couple years ago, my dog was freaking out barking, which he doesnt usually do much, even if people are walking their dogs on my sidewalk, so I went to look and sure enough there was a coyote in the yard across the street!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 141
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 80