Anyone snare rabbits?

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have only had success live trapping rabbits in the dead of winter when there is a lot of snow and food is scarce. Other than that, they cannot be enticed to enter the confined space. The .17 caliber works any time of the year however. LOL Good job on the snaring Lycan!

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Upgraded from wire to 7x7 cable and locking device. No more escaping!
No pictures for you guys I guess....
20180709_075620.jpg: Upload of file failed.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got the rabbit that my wife has seen in the back yard a few times yesterday. By the time I found it there wasnt much left. No idea what predator I have hunting my BY, anyone wanna guess based upon the picture?

20180920_174906[1].jpg

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What ever chased the bunny into the snare should thank you for a free meal.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Something big enough to run off with it. No blood trail or tracks or did you get rain ? I'd tie it down and put a trail cam on it. Either cats or dogs , coyote/fox comes to mind.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well it was pulled under the fence into my neighbors yard, so I know it wasnt my dogs and they dont have any pets and their back yard is completely fenced. So that rules out most larger animals. Could be a cat, but I havent seen any cats ever loose in my neighborhood. This is the same corner I caught something a while back that broke my snare and left a pretty good rut on the ground. I misplaced my only working trail cam or Id definitely set it up, maybe I need to order a new one....

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like a mystery. How much room under your fence and how tall is it ? A coyote carrying half a rabbit would more than likely jump over a fence unless it's way tall . Could you tell if it was drug across the grass or carried ? What kind of roadkill do you see in the area ? Fox , Skunks ? If I had to guess right now I'd say it was something smaller like a cat.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've seen plenty of large hawks take out rabbits, and doves right in Bismarck. Last year something killed one of those giant jackrabbits and picked it up and sat it on top of the 15' playhouse in my neighbors yard. The roof had blood running down and tufts of rabbit hair, but that was it.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like a mystery. How much room under your fence and how tall is it ? A coyote carrying half a rabbit would more than likely jump over a fence unless it's way tall . Could you tell if it was drug across the grass or carried ? What kind of roadkill do you see in the area ? Fox , Skunks ? If I had to guess right now I'd say it was something smaller like a cat.

Thats the same corner you see in a picture with snare set on the first page of this thread, theres maybe 3 inches of clearance under the fence. Its a vinyl fence thats about 5.5ft tall. Ive never seen a predator of any type in my back yard, but did see a yote one time in the front of my house, running along the sidewalk. Im in Bismarck between sleepy hollow park and hay creek, about equal distance, there are houses about 2 blocks in every direction tho. Im thinking its something smaller cuz of what I caught before that broke my snare, it had to be small enough to go under the fence, but strong enough to dig a heck of a trench in the dirt. I have pet rabbits in cages in my back yard and have never had any of them hurt/killed by a small predator tho. Id think a weasel wouldnt have a problem reaching the cages, about 2ft off the ground in the opposite corner of my yard...

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
liquid fence:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Liquid-Fen...2randtUlbLoZR_ZwfNP5XJ3waeQ8yHFxoC6HwQAvD_BwE

I've used it with success. First year couldn't figure out what got my carrot tops. Chased him/her out of the yard one day and bought this the next day. Has been working ever since. Use it when the carrots break ground now. Spray perimeter of garden, then again after a heavy rain or yard watering. Once carrot tops get a little larger rabbit leaves 'em alone.

Oh! and this year a squirrel started visiting my amur maple and tried making a nest in it. Dead branches stacked in a bunch. Wife sprayed this around base of amur maple. end of problem... so far

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
liquid fence:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Liquid-Fen...2randtUlbLoZR_ZwfNP5XJ3waeQ8yHFxoC6HwQAvD_BwE

I've used it with success. First year couldn't figure out what got my carrot tops. Chased him/her out of the yard one day and bought this the next day. Has been working ever since. Use it when the carrots break ground now. Spay perimeter of garden, then again after a heavy rain or yard watering. Once carrot tops get a little larger rabbit leaves 'em alone.

Oh! and this year a squirrel started visiting my amur maple and tried making a nest in it. Dead branches stacked in a bunch. Wife sprayed this around base of amur maple. end of problem... so far

That doesnt sound nearly as fun as snaring the little bastards! You might be on the wrong site bud...

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lycanthrope, Do you have a picture of your whole snare setup? Looks like a shepherd type pool stuck in the ground, then I see your wire with noose. But what did you use for a spring mechanism? We had some many rabbits running around this year, and I was able to get a couple with .17 pellet gun I borrowed, but I want something that can possibly be ready 24/7 on these bastages.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75