Newest Additions (Vintage Airplanes)

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a few more projects at home. Dads 1966 PA-18 super cub (1800 TT and full logs) came home about a year ago and is just about ready for fabric. It's getting quite a few Alaska mods. Has 26 inch bush tires on it now, but we are either going with 29 or 31 inchers. Vortex generators, climb prop (Catto if they get certified), full glass throughout, lightweight starter, carbon fiber interior, battery relocation etc. Will more than likely be the one of the most, if not the most modded out certified PA-18s in the state. Flaps are staying stock.

We also brought home a PA-20 Pacer near the same time (stretched into Bushmaster frame). Will be the last project on the list.

More recently we drove down south of Boise Idaho with an enclosed trailer and brought home this extremely rare 1949 PA-14 Family Cruiser (238 ever made, and this one is #6 from the last ever built). 1200 TT since new, factory flaps. Upgraded with a 150 hp, from the original 108 hp, and also a 84 inch borer prop upgrade. Once the PA-18 is done this year it'll be full out onto the PA-14. The PA-14 is going to be getting an upgrade on tires, from the current 8.50s. We are taking the 26 inchers off the PA-18 and swapping them over. This airplane will get a few smaller upgrades (skylight, vortex generators, and a repitched climb prop, but going to try to stay a bit more stock for this airplane. Hopefully will see a few of you boys at the pancake fly ins throughout the state in the coming year(s)! First 4 photos are of the 4 seat PA-14, and last picture is dad with the grandkids (my nephews) with his 66 PA-18 the day we got it home. Thanks for looking and enjoy, we are seriously excited about these old birds!

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg1966.jpg

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Are you located in Hazen? Which hangar? I’ll drop in one of these days. Love to get the nickel tour of your restorations!
Haven’t landed there since last years fly in. Fly in this year again?

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bobcat, I'm 45 min SW of Hazen, but Dad and both birds are in Hazen. The 14 is in the locked hanger and the 18 is at the house in the garage. Let me know when you might make it up towards the Hazen way and we will see if we can make a get together work. Haven't seen the date on the Hazen fly in yet but will update as soon as I hear!

Are you located in Hazen? Which hangar? I’ll drop in one of these days. Love to get the nickel tour of your restorations!
Haven’t landed there since last years fly in. Fly in this year again?

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I applaud your devotion to these old birds. Back in the 70's, my dad hung out at Bart Sogard's hangar (next to Al Pietsch's) in Minot. He did many old skin airplanes while I hung out and watched (and got headaches from the dope). I have fond memories. His pal Bart seemed to be ancient at the time. He ferried bombers over to Europe in WWII I believe.

Anyhow, what a hobby! And I think I've got too much money tied up in crankbaits!!!

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look like really cool projects. I grew up around planes with dad being a spray pilot and certified mechanic but decided that old tractors was a slightly more affordable hobby.
Sold our super cub a few years ago to some guys we know but still have the piper vagabond that needs to be gone through and refabic

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
love these kinds of posts. I work in aviation and its amazing what a person learns. Never been up in a stick or tail dragger. Are you guys doing the work yourselves?

Recently had to research the PA-18, I got side tracked into some of the mods, updates and restoration people were doing. I was reading that the fabric was a tough job and not alot of people are able to do it these days, even rarer is fabric wings. Keep us updated please.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Toby,
Dad has been an A&P for over 40 years. Graduated from A&P school in 76' in Fargo. Went to work immediately for Cessna out of Minot, and to date is still the youngest (19 years old) head mechanic Cessna has ever had running a fleet of over 30 airplanes. Aviation went belly up early 80s so dad went to a small shop based out of Rugby for awhile. Aviation was still in a nose dive during that time, and the coal fired plants in Beulah came along. Was a no brainer to jump ship at that time. Dads been a mechanic at one of the plants now for 35 years and is on the verge of retirement. He's restored an airplane every few years on and off the last 35 years while being in Hazen and has kept up on his work. He works strictly with fabric and has been asked by some of the big namers in the state to do fabric work on airplanes after he retires, although I think he is going to stay with his own projects for now. There's legit less than 8-10 guys in the entire state now that do quality fabric work. All of the work on the Supercub will done out of his garage, just like his Tcart he did a few years back. Next year will be out of his new shop he's having built, so it should be a super nice work area for him. But yes, absolutely everything about the restoration will be done in house by us.

love these kinds of posts. I work in aviation and its amazing what a person learns. Never been up in a stick or tail dragger. Are you guys doing the work yourselves?

Recently had to research the PA-18, I got side tracked into some of the mods, updates and restoration people were doing. I was reading that the fabric was a tough job and not alot of people are able to do it these days, even rarer is fabric wings. Keep us updated please.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It's getting quite a few Alaska mods. Has 26 inch bush tires on it now, but we are either going with 29 or 31 inchers. Vortex generators, climb prop (Catto if they get certified), full glass throughout, lightweight starter, carbon fiber interior, battery relocation etc. Will more than likely be the one of the most, if not the most modded out certified PA-18s in the state. Flaps are staying stock.

It sounds like a lot of work and a fun, useful plane when you get done. It ought to be a great short field plane too.

As a former Champ owner one this puzzles me, what are these flaps you speak of? :;:smokin

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
haha. yes those damn flaps things. Essentially equivalent to that of our 90 hp Taylorcraft, when we would hold the doors open on final approach :) haha!. Dad also had a 90 hp champ back in the day, still says it was one of his best birds he ever owned.

It sounds like a lot of work and a fun, useful plane when you get done. It ought to be a great short field plane too.

As a former Champ owner one this puzzles me, what are these flaps you speak of? :;:smokin

Atom

How much would you charge me to fly me to Alaska and drop me off to hunt the 40 mile herd? And then come pick me up a week or so later?

dewey89

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's so awesome, would love to learn dope and fabric someday. Been an A&P for a while now but never had the opportunity to work on old planes.

★★★★★ Legendary Member

haha. yes those damn flaps things. Essentially equivalent to that of our 90 hp Taylorcraft, when we would hold the doors open on final approach :) haha!. Dad also had a 90 hp champ back in the day, still says it was one of his best birds he ever owned.

Yup, opening the door will slow you up some won't it. My Champ was a 1947 7AC with a 0235 STC'd in it with 2, 13 gal wing tanks and droop tips on the wings, low and s l o wwwwwww...

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watched a crop duster crash into a corn field while in Graduate School. That put a pretty big dent in my enthusiasm to fly. Know very little about planes, but restoration projects ALWAYS seem to be high on the cool point list for me. Thanks for posting.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh man, that's a lot of seat time right there bud. I think it's only about a 20 hour flight from North Dakota, lol.

How much would you charge me to fly me to Alaska and drop me off to hunt the 40 mile herd? And then come pick me up a week or so later?

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Airplane work updates: Fabric is on dad's supercub. It is painted, new bungees and firewall recently put on, along with the gear. Been a slower process since they were working on dad's shop on and off. Coming along nicely though!

airplane 1.JPG

airplane 2.jpg

airplane 3.jpg

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
When finished, which side do I get to shoot out of?
I'll bring a case of #4 buck:;:thumbsup

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some updated photos. Motor is hung. We also hung the wings Saturday and rigged those yesterday to current Supercub specs. Those are still uncovered as dad is running the wing cables this week, tank fitting and a few other things. Wings will then be taken off and covered and painted. After that, reattach wings and we are in the game. Shooting for May flying. Then onto the PA14 project which should take 1/10th of the time that this one took.

Note: there's dust throughout and the carbon fiber floors are full of it, hence why they look dirty. All of the boot cowl was built from scratch (the close up picture behind the engine doors). The built in small door there is for the battery relocation dad did. This got rid of about 7-8 lbs of battery cable that use to run from the starter to the baggage, and moving the weight to a more forward position.

Supercub 1.jpg
supercub2.jpg
supercub3.jpg
supercub4.jpg
supercub5.jpg
supercub 6.jpg
supercub7.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119