The Farm Bill

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.agriculture.com/news/business/crp-likely-to-expand-by-5-million-acres-in-new-farm-bill

What isn't being talked about is the rental rates and planting cost sharing changes they are considering. The rental rate cap will be set at 80% of the county value and 40% of the seed costs.

My inlaws planted a section of CRP in SD and the seed bill was over 70k for it, and that was the best pricing they could find. If that cost match goes down and a farmer has to come up with 42k for seed, I think that is going to be a huge deterrent to a lot of folks.

The 80% who knows. Most know that payments will not match rental rates. But, I think it will have an impact too.

I'd like to see the CRP program really work on those marginal lands first. Heck, half the crap that got broken in the high dollar days should be sitting. But, we can't probably afford to pay even 80% on some of that.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fritz I don't know who started that measure. I was always under the impression it was an attorney that was a North Dakota native that worked in California and recently retired and moved back to North Dakota.

I sure would like to see CRP return. Habitat, lower production resulting in higher grain priced. Win win.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 92
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 67