Missouri River rise

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got it back in the early 2000's doctors and nurses were way too excited apparently I was the first one they had seen at that clinic who had it so they thought it was cool. If you ever have the chance to catch it feel free to pass it freaking sucks. Never used to get headaches before it but now I chew through aspirin a Dozen or more per day just to keep the headaches at bay. When I had it I spent the better part of a week with no lights on no sound no nothing anything at all would just be like a nail going through your head.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
My daughter got it earlier in August. Had a fever and rash but was mostly OK. My dad is currently recovering from it. Ended up getting bacterial meningitis from it also. Luckily they caught meningitis early and were able to treat it. He still is very tired and has body aches but is getting better. Both are in Burleigh county.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm pretty sure with the amount of blood I've donated to the skeeters over the years that I've already had it.

Actually, there was a time a few years ago where I was not feeling very well for a couple of weeks. It was several months later that I was talking with my doctor about it during a physical and he suggested I was one who had caught West Nile but just didn't get very sick. Remember, about 80% of the people exposed to it don't get very sick. Of those that do get sick, about 80% are fine within a reasonable amount of time, but there are those in the very small minority that get it and have life-long issues, sometimes quite debilitating. At least, that's kind of what I remember from talking with the doc about it quite a few years ago.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got it back in the early 2000's doctors and nurses were way too excited apparently I was the first one they had seen at that clinic who had it so they thought it was cool. If you ever have the chance to catch it feel free to pass it freaking sucks. Never used to get headaches before it but now I chew through aspirin a Dozen or more per day just to keep the headaches at bay. When I had it I spent the better part of a week with no lights on no sound no nothing anything at all would just be like a nail going through your head.

I would go see another doc. it doesnt sound like after effect -- a dozen aspirin is a one way to start up an alcer that you dont need. Sounds like a 50mg of a beta blocker and no more headaches for you.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
About that much.....2 inches or so. 1000 cfs is right about the amount the corp oscillates the river level back and forth in any given day.
Screenshot_20190417-201531.jpg

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plus or minus, every 5,000 cfs in increase or decrease raises or lowers the level in Bis, about a foot.

The water level in Bismarck right now is very low. I don't have the drive to look it up, but it's got to be about as low as it's been during my close to 40 years on the river.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty sure i just stepped into the matrix when I opened your link Allen. Care to explain the numbers for us? In your best Morpheus voice “what if I told you”...... (from the movie the matrix) for those who are lost.

Honkerherms

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where did you find that data at? Good stuff seeing the discharge through Bismarck and the stage height of the river. But if I remember correctly, isn't there a factor that needs to be added to the stage height to give it the accurate river elevation?

Jeff

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty sure i just stepped into the matrix when I opened your link Allen. Care to explain the numbers for us? In your best Morpheus voice “what if I told you”...... (from the movie the matrix) for those who are lost.
Looks like the number on the right is the cfs and the left number is the corresponding river level at that flow. Goes from 11,000 cfs up to over 400,000.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

Dean is correct, those are the current numbers for what stage is expected for a given CFS (cubic feet per second). Actually, they are the result of an equation that roughly is in the form of y=mx+b (y=flow, m=slope, and b is a constant that gets updated as needed). Bottom line is the USGS has a gage in place to physically measure the water level and then several times through the year they come out and physically measure the actual flow in the river to update the database used to create the equation.

- - - Updated - - -

Where did you find that data at? Good stuff seeing the discharge through Bismarck and the stage height of the river. But if I remember correctly, isn't there a factor that needs to be added to the state height to give it the accurate river elevation throught town?

Jeff

Yes, to obtain a value for above Mean Sea Level (MSL), you will want to add 1,619.6 to arrive at an elevation using the North American Vertical Datum of 1988 (aka NAVD-88). The other really common zero datum people use is 1,618.28 in the older National Geodetic Vertical Datum of 1929 (aka NGVD-29). You must know which datum your surveyor is using for a particular location in Bismarck in order to properly arrive at how far above the water your point of interest is at any given point in time.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
River levels are pretty low this year because they're holding back so much water to support the downstream flooding. Amazing to see only 13,000cfs coming out of Sakakawea in April. There's still a bunch of water coming out of the mountain snow pack so they will begin raising those discharges soon. If I remember correctly the normal releases by May are usually 26,000 - 30,000cfs and continue through July before slowing back down. Will be another good year of water levels on Sakakawea for fishing enthusiasts once again.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Yellowstone is roaring right now in billings

Oops, I thought that was a more recent post. Nonetheless, here's the current out west right now. So far it's pretty tame.

bilm8_hg.png

I still think the Missouri near Williston will rise over the coming weeks (shocker, I know) but this isn't exactly a problematic water level over at Billings. Nor does this really foretell issues here for the paddlefishing.

- - - Updated - - -

The key in this article is the source of the water. There's been no spectacular runoff from the mountains, that water has all been sourced from a decent runoff in ND and SD from the plains snowpack, and then really heavy rains and additional spring snow in SD, NE, IA, and MN.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67