Missouri River rise

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
People hold too much faith in the dam system.

Probably because developers, real estate agents, and current landowners often use terms like Garrison can prevent floods and the senators have whipped the Corps into shape so they won't allow flooding in the future. Anything it takes to soothe a prospective buyer. Truth is, nobody in their right mind would spend the kind of money required to "prevent" all future floods along the river.

I've never heard anyone at the Corps, much less any hydrologist I know of, tell someone that 2011 can't happen again. Nature's records are meant to be broken. We have less than 150 years of good data on the most studied of our rivers, that kind of pales in comparison to Mother Nature's longevity. There are some really interesting journal articles out there about paleo floods in the Black Hills that would scare the Shiite out of me if I lived anywhere near some of those streams and rivers. Flood deposits high on the side of a canyon are pretty good evidence that we ain't seen nothing yet.

I once also said dumb things to people around Devils Lake. Stuff like, so you came out here, took a walk around the land, and thought this was a great place to build when you could see driftwood sticking out of the hillside about 20 ft above your main floor, really?

Answer I usually got was "yeah, but that was different back then because of x, y, and z"

Hell, at one point in the not-so-distant geologic history there were sand dunes in ND. We now call that area the Sheyenne National Grasslands. So we absolutely know that there are things out there that will get us wet, and there are unknowns(?) out there that will one day turn the state back into a desert. Some of the glacial advances took place over around 200 years, if my memory serves me correctly.

Thankfully, we got to be the dominant life-form on planet Earth by being adaptable.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never heard anyone at the Corps, much less any hydrologist I know of, tell someone that 2011 can't happen again. Nature's records are meant to be broken. .
^ Exactly! I'm amazed at the people that think 2011 wont happen again, hell it wasn't even a worse case scenario. Just when we think we have seen everything mother nature can throw at us, she is sure to show us how wrong we are. The weather isn't getting any less severe on this planet!

Its not if it happens again, its when. Maybe its next year, maybe its another 65, id bet somewhere in between.

Last edited:

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
no one is saying it can't happen again what we are saying is the corp needs to be proactive to minimize the chance that is doesn't happen again.

in 11 the corp had a daily average outflow of 14.6 for March and 14.4 for April and this was after the state pleaded with them in January to lower the lake because of the above average mountain snow pack.

IMG_1677.jpg
IMG_1676.jpg
IMG_1684.jpg

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
After living through the dry years I will always want more water than less

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some areas in the miles city area got 4+ inches tonight, fast. More to the north even. The storms got close to ND and look like they hit a wall and quit. I see the cloud seeding debate started up again because of it. I do feel bad for folks that take flood damage but living on an island in a river is a tough one to comprehend sometimes.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
After living through the dry years I will always want more water than less

Disagree I had a farmer told this week they waited to plant because it was to wet. With the technology in ag they dont need as much moisture

- - - Updated - - -

Bismarck biggest crybaby town regarding flooding;. Fact 75% of the flood prep work they did in 2011 would of failed.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Disagree I had a farmer told this week they waited to plant because it was to wet. With the technology in ag they dont need as much moisture

- - - Updated - - -

Bismarck biggest crybaby town regarding flooding;. Fact 75% of the flood prep work they did in 2011 would of failed.

What do you mean it would have failed? It did flood and it didn't fail! So unless your talking individual sandbagging efforts which have always been quite comical here since people don't seem to realize sandbags themselves or not a flood barrier or trying to make a levi out of things that float is normally not the best option. But the government pieces of protection they put in place did hold and kept a large amount of ground from flooding.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you mean it would have failed? It did flood and it didn't fail! So unless your talking individual sandbagging efforts which have always been quite comical here since people don't seem to realize sandbags themselves or not a flood barrier or trying to make a levi out of things that float is normally not the best option. But the government pieces of protection they put in place did hold and kept a large amount of ground from flooding.

I meant the sandbagging efforts -------- what a total joke ---the water would of flowed through those sand bags like no tommorow--- then at 5 you all quit like its some type of a 8-5 job.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I meant the sandbagging efforts -------- what a total joke ---the water would of flowed through those sand bags like no tommorow--- then at 5 you all quit like its some type of a 8-5 job.

Well let’s see I sandbagged 7 days in a row usually 10-12 hr days. Helped a family member and another one on the wife’s side. The other days in that stretch just went down to one of the sandbag sites and volunteered. Now I find out since I’m not from the eastern part of the state it was worthless, damn. Well it made me feel better to help out anyway

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was out investigating all day yesterday and the seawall at Misty Waters marina is about 8 inches under water. I ran up to just south of the Wilton boat ramp by Missouri river feeders "Price feed lot" and south to General Sibley and one can pretty much cruise the entire river channel all the way, there are a few shallow spots but not many. The amount of debris trees and tumble weeds floating down stream was intense, had to keep a constant close watch. Lots of garbage floating down along with the organic stuff too, pisses me off to no end.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

Farming has nothing to do with why I like it wet. I get tired eating dust every day out on jobs and I like the grass green on the prairie.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well considering all the sandbagging being done was for private residence and not some sort of city flood wall people are going to come and go when they do. But as far as stupid flood walls go nothing beats the hay bale dykes. seriously takes a genius to put something that floats out to keep you safe from rising water.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
COE Cranking it up to 52,000 and expecting the lake to top out 2' from going over the rim.

[h=1]Higherinflows mean increased releases from Garrison Dam[/h]OMAHA, NE - Releasesfrom Garrison Dam are being stepped up from44,000 cubic feet per second to 52,000 cfs.
Releases willbe increased over 3 days, reaching the 52,000 cfs rate on June 20. Releases arebeing increased due to a continuation of high inflows from the melting mountainsnowpack and rainfall runoff.
The reservoirelevation at Lake Sakakawea, the Garrison reservoir, is currently 1851.1 feet,1.1 feet into the Exclusive Flood Control Zone, which extends from elevation1850 to 1854 feet. The reservoir is expected to peak near elevation 1852.5 feetin the next two weeks as runoff from the remaining mountain snowpack tapersoff.
The maximumpower plant release is 41,000 cfs. Therefore, releases of 11,000 cfs will beingmade through the regulating tunnels. The 52,000 cfs release rate is expected tocontinue into early July.
The 52,000cfs release will result in a 1.5-foot river stage increase near Bismarck, from10.5 feet to about 12.0 feet.
The Corps will continue to monitorbasin and river conditions, including rainfall and mountain snowmelt, and willadjust the releases based on the most up-to-date information.
Due to the 11,000 cfs releases beingmade through the regulating tunnels, there will be no public access to the wingwalls. The west tailrace access will remain fully open to the public.
The mountain snowpack peaked April 19in the Fort Peck reach and on April 15 in the Fort Peck to Garrison reach. Bothreaches have less than 2.0 inches of snow water equivalent remaining.
View the mountain snowpackgraphic here: http://www.nwd-mr.usace.army.mil/rcc/reports/snow.pdf.
Weekly updates on basin conditions,reservoir levels and other topics of interest can be viewed here: http://www.nwd-mr.usace.army.mil/rcc/reports/pdfs/weeklyupdate.pdf.
To view the detailed three-weekrelease forecast for the mainstem dams, go to http://www.nwd-mr.usace.army.mil/rcc/reports/twregfcast.pdf.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like a good year to Kayak from the Tailrace to Bismarck, a guy doesn't even need to paddle.:;:rockit

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
All I got is Thank God they started sooner to release water then later or we would be sandbagging right now and the corps is how much do i believe?

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like a good year to Kayak from the Tailrace to Bismarck, a guy doesn't even need to paddle.:;:rockit

Wife and I have done this trip numerous times in kayak and canoe. One can get to bismarck quite a bit faster in a Kayak by paddling but in a canoe during normal flow years paddling in a canoe only makes you tired. In a canoe it takes 24 hours to get there paddling or just floating and steering on occasion. Have tried it both ways and just wore ourselves out trying to beat 24 hours in a canoe and failed, have talked to many others who have done the same over the years and they all had the same experience takes 24 ghours of water time sit back and enjoy the view.

I have talked to people with high end river kayaks who have done the trip in 10-12 hours.

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well that will likely put into the parking lot at fox and over the road in applecreek bottoms.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77