Operating Drones for Profit

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone on here licensed to operate a drone commercially? I need to get certified to take pictures for real estate purposes, and am curious what others did to prepare for the exam?

Can you recommend any good resources that will prepare someone for each part of the 60 question exam?

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am. I bought a study guide online, can't remember where from. I'll take a look when I can, but there should be plenty of stuff online by now. It's not nearly as easy as you would think, I never would of passed it without the study guides.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am. I bought a study guide online, can't remember where from. I'll take a look when I can, but there should be plenty of stuff online by now. It's not nearly as easy as you would think, I never would of passed it without the study guides.

I know it's not easy! I've been reading the part 107 and taking some practice questions just to see what it's all about. How long ago did you take the exam?

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
August 2016, I was the second person in the state to take it. I have to look into what I have to do for the 2 year renewal.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
You gonna use the drone pictures for selling/marketing real estate? Iveseen some pretty cool flyers with drone pics of houses..

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ll be taking the exam very shortly. It is a bit to digest.

What have you been doing to prepare? I've been reading up on the free material provided by Rupprecht's Law. He compiled a lot of the information that the FAA spread out throughout multiple documents and put it into one site. It's still not the easiest way to get all of the information, so I'm searching for a good alternative.

Are you planning on taking the test in Minot? How far in advance do you need to schedule the exam?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I almost feel like I will need to take a stab at the test just to have a feel for what to study.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
does one need a license to obtain permission to fly it by an airport via the airmap app?

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
does one need a license to obtain permission to fly it by an airport via the airmap app?

I don't think the airmap app is recognized by the FAA, but I could be wrong. In fact, I read something about that earlier but it didn't go into much detail. You don't need a license to fly it as a hobby, but if you intend to make any money you'll need a license. As far as that airport part is concerned, there are all kinds of restrictions, so I can't answer that. There are certain protocols that must be followed when flying within a certain distance of an airport, and each one can be different especially if there are special temporary restrictions in place.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife wasn't very impressed when the neighbors realtor had a drone over our backyard for 10-15 minutes last summer when she was home alone. Neither was I.

I know its legal. But something about it pisses me off.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife wasn't very impressed when the neighbors realtor had a drone over our backyard for 10-15 minutes last summer when she was home alone. Neither was I.

I know its legal. But something about it pisses me off.

That's one of the reasons I'm getting certified. Anyone can use a drone without certification if you aren't making money, but being able to produce a certificate to ease the concerns of onlookers is well worth it.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think the airmap app is recognized by the FAA, but I could be wrong. In fact, I read something about that earlier but it didn't go into much detail. You don't need a license to fly it as a hobby, but if you intend to make any money you'll need a license. As far as that airport part is concerned, there are all kinds of restrictions, so I can't answer that. There are certain protocols that must be followed when flying within a certain distance of an airport, and each one can be different especially if there are special temporary restrictions in place.

From what i can see DL airport is on the list to get automatic approval ----- upon a couple clicks on the app. I see on the app it asks for a pilot license so to speak? -- but if not needed -- i wonder if its a go if you have the drone licensed etc.

Another comment i see is operating from a moving vehicle. Is a boat on spot lock a moving vehicle?

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
From what i can see DL airport is on the list to get automatic approval ----- upon a couple clicks on the app. I see on the app it asks for a pilot license so to speak? -- but if not needed -- i wonder if its a go if you have the drone licensed etc.

Another comment i see is operating from a moving vehicle. Is a boat on spot lock a moving vehicle?

It is my understanding that you CAN operate from a moving vehicle if you're not profiting from the flight.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see DL isnt available until fall -- but then its a couple clicks on the phone to get permission. Either it will show up green to go or red to stop ------ i will let you know if it works. Meanwhile keep er under the radar.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see DL isnt available until fall -- but then its a couple clicks on the phone to get permission. Either it will show up green to go or red to stop ------ i will let you know if it works. Meanwhile keep er under the radar.

FYI, stupid people doing stupid shit is the reason we have to be licensed in the first place. The audio of the commercial airline pilot flying under a $400 drone from bestbuy at 8000 feet is pretty funny. That is, until you realize what would happen if a jet sucked one through the turbine.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's one of the reasons I'm getting certified. Anyone can use a drone without certification if you aren't making money, but being able to produce a certificate to ease the concerns of onlookers is well worth it.

interesting theory

Dude 1: “hey you effer - why are you invading my privacy with yer freaking spycraft???!!”

Dude 2 ”howdy. here’s my certificate. I’m certified to do such.”

Dude 1 ”oh... why didn’t you say so? hey honey, set another plate. certified drone dude is joining us tonight.”

- - - Updated - - -

just funning - I don’t have a horse in this race

but I might someday - if some jackhole hovers above my yard

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56