Zero Turn Recommendation

spinner7456

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have a Bad Boy Maverick 60" 27hp and its an awesome machine. $6k . Only feature i would like to see would be a flip up deck to wash and change out blades

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have been looking for the last few months and have seen this advice over and over. The problem is any used commercial mower with 200 or even 400 hours is priced so close to new machines.

The other thing I question is the 3-5k hours you mentioned. You look at enough dealers and many have a quite a bit of units 2-4 yeas old in the 1100-1400 hour range. It is pretty evident that these were used in a commercial manner. Why would they be trading them in for new machines if they only reached 25-45% of there life? I am sure there are machines that have that many hours without a doubt, but to get to that point how much $$ in new parts and maintenance is needed? I have no idea just a thought

I think this is more based on that a commercial operator is going to have zero patience for any down time. Down time is money to those guys, they can't be running around for an hour or two because of a something simple like a broken deck spring, or some other non-sense. For most of us homeowners, it's not that big of a deal. I think you'll find a lot of landscape or commercial users also have a rotating fleet where they simply trade-in at the end of warranty or on a 2-4 year cycle depending on how hard they use them. They also do this as at that hour range where the machine can still have quite a bit of life left and they still have a decent trade-in value. Food for thought. My new/used PT472 came from a landscape guy that used it to mow cemeteries. Apparently he trades every two years. My PM152 came from a one/two man mowing/landscape service that were getting out of the business. There are lots of low hour units out there however you might have to drive or have one shipped up.

FYI, you may think they're priced close to new but as mentioned, my 472 was $5k cheaper and my 152 was about 3k cheaper than new. Just gotta wait for the right deal, they're out there!

north14

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trading a machine off with 25 to 45% of their life equals more trade in value. Same goes with trading in a vehicle with 70K miles versus 120K miles.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trading a machine off with 25 to 45% of their life equals more trade in value. Same goes with trading in a vehicle with 70K miles versus 120K miles.

I get all that, but run the math and factoring everything (maintenance, depreciation, etc) in the cheapest cost per mile of that machine is likely found in that 70-120k range.

If you are just concerned about trade in value might as well trade it in and get a new one at 30k... Everyone has a different methodology on that, do whatever you are comfortable with. I just figured a business would be looking at the bottom dollar and not have as much emotion or personal "want" tied into there decisions on when to update machines. If the machines start giving them trouble or experience more down time than the cost to upgrade to a new one then its time to go.

I don't enjoy mowing or tinkering/fixing mowers. I want my mower to be trouble free just like the commercial guys so I can spend my time doing things I enjoy more.

Ill keep my daily watch for the right used machine, however the 0% financing offers are tempting considering it gives a guy a new machine with warranty.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been looking for the last few months and have seen this advice over and over. The problem is any used commercial mower with 200 or even 400 hours is priced so close to new machines.

The other thing I question is the 3-5k hours you mentioned. You look at enough dealers and many have a quite a bit of units 2-4 yeas old in the 1100-1400 hour range. It is pretty evident that these were used in a commercial manner. Why would they be trading them in for new machines if they only reached 25-45% of there life? I am sure there are machines that have that many hours without a doubt, but to get to that point how much $$ in new parts and maintenance is needed? I have no idea just a thought

Because they are getting a good trade in price and they are running machines with warranty. Lots of them trade them off just before or just after the warranty is done. Still get excellent trade in price for them. Also for depreciation.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
FYI, you may think they're priced close to new but as mentioned, my 472 was $5k cheaper and my 152 was about 3k cheaper than new. Just gotta wait for the right deal, they're out there!

Those are good savings over new. I haven't found anything like that with low hours yet.

I found it also depends on how you come up with what a new price is. If you go off of something that is close to MSRP or some dealers advertised price than I can find a number of low hour machines that are about $3k off of new.
But if you call around, are willing to drive, you find some better pricing on that same new machine and then that same lightly used machine is only $1000 off of new.

Factor in the 0%, warranty, and already partly depreciated machine and the $1000 savings isn't worth it. But like I said still looking...

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I appreciate the responses from everyone. I just did a quick measurement and I mow around 4 acres or so and roughly 40 trees. I'd guess no matter what I get I will have problems cuz that's just my luck!

Are the JD Z traks at big box stores any good ? Or more of a knockoff to legit JD machines

Last edited:

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
I would also encourage you to step up out of residential grade into commercial. I have a Dixie chopper. It’s ok. Kinda like grass hoppers

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
John Deere z540r 60 inch deck for $6500 or less. 2.8 acres in 53 min. Great machine for price, commercial is over priced imo.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
John Deere z540r 60 inch deck for $6500 or less. 2.8 acres in 53 min. Great machine for price, commercial is over priced imo.

Hate to say it, but your in the minority here which is usually the case from someone that doesn't need or hasn't used a commercial mower. and FYI, you have almost double into that deere than what I had into my 152Z. I'm about a 1/3 more for my 472Z. You also bought the top of the line residential ztrac, the next step is into their commercial series so it's not like your running the Z335E or one of their entry level residential units. At $6,500, you can be into a good commercial unit with a full manufactured and welded deck, not a lite gauge stamped deck. And just for clarification, the Deere 7-Iron stamped commercial deck is very good but that's not the deck you get on the residential ztracs.

Food for thought, my inlaws have the exact same size property as we do with about an acre less grass to mow but certainly more shit to mow around. They have two cub cadet 54" riding mowers and a pull behind swisher. It takes them 4-5 hours to mow with two people and it's an all day job with just one machine. I'm cutting 6 full acres with my 472 in less than an hour and a half. With my previous 152Z it took 2.5 hours. I put 500 hours over ten years on my 152Z and I cost me $1k between what I paid and what I sold it for and nothing more than regular maintenance items. In the same time period, those $2,500ish riders aren't worth $500-$800 now best case. At the end of the day, they have way more invested into those three mowers (and they bought one used) than I did in my 152Z.

If you really want to look at the economics, and factor what your time is worth, the less fuel burned because your mowing time is much shorter (this leads to less hours on the machine also), repair costs, resale, and longevity; if your mowing more than a couple acres, it's really a no brainier if you can afford the commercial machine purely from an economic standpoint.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Find a good used ExMark commercial mower and don't look back. Commercial grade is the way to go if you plan on mowing a fair amount. Deeper deck = less trash sticking underneath, better blades, better spindles, heavier hardware.

a deep deck is key

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I appreciate everyone's responses. We were without a mower for almost 2 weeks and grass was about out of control. I had reviewed every mower I could think of online. It's funny how you get good and bad of each one to the point I pretty much gave up on that. With grass 6 inches and longer in spots, it was either start mowing yard with brush hog or get something NOW. Ended up where I started with- Fleet Farms Troy Built Mustang XP 60. Yeah, I'm a little curious how things will turn out when or if it shits the bed (warranty wise) but Fleet gave me name of a company in town that services them. This was my only regret going boxstore...I'd prefer a service dept of place of purchase. We have just over 4 acres and it did quite well. 3.1hours and I'm sure next run that will be cut down even more. No complaints, definitely built much better than my last zero turn. I'll give it a year or 2 and let 20180709_214933.jpg everyone know how this turns out!

Last edited:

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been looking at these lately, mostly Gravely, John Deere, and Bad Boy. Been leaning toward the Gravely ZT HD 60. Comparing to the comparable JD Z540, it seems that you get more mower for less money. I guess the JD has one more year of warrantee, but I don't think it's worth $600. What am I missing?

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was in the same boat a few years ago. I decided instead of zero turn to go the JD X 380 54" rider route. Reason being was for the fact I have a lot of area for snowblowing. The 44" blower attachment is a beast when comes to moving snow. Just food for thought...

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was in the same boat a few years ago. I decided instead of zero turn to go the JD X 380 54" rider route. Reason being was for the fact I have a lot of area for snowblowing. The 44" blower attachment is a beast when comes to moving snow. Just food for thought...

I have a 1998 JD rider with 42" blower that I use right now. Going to be keeping that. Need a Zero-turn as I have an ass-load of trees.

- - - Updated - - -

name one good sconni beer????

Um... how about Miller Lite, AKA: "Sweet Nectar of the Gods"

queue the beer snobs in 3...2...1...:;:cheers

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104