Night Time Cranking

cobbwubs

I live in Blue Plate country and besides the first two weeks of the season and one week of vacation in July, night time is the only time I target eyes. Like others have said, large flats and shallow running baits have been best for me. I try to target the week surrounding the full moon as we seem to catch more on these nights. (We still catch them without the moons help) I tend to fish between 4.5-7.0' of water, but have gone out as deep as 13'. When we finally upgraded to line-counters our production increased greatly.

It takes a little getting used to, being comfortable with a breeze or fishing when it is pitch black out. I can't imagine night fishing without electronics I trusted, AND I always have a fully charged phone as a backup. I fished familiar water for the first year or so before venturing too far away from home. We've had some of our best fishing in July and August. Its a win/win... Get the kids bathed in pjs, sometimes into bed, then go fishing. Happy wife, happy life. Few crowds, cool temps, cold beer, and good company... It's hard to beat.

Some famous/familiar quotes from the last few years of doing this...
"Friggen Rock Bass"
"It's a musky!"
"I watched the string method the other day on Nodak..."
"That's a Personal Best" (each year I add a half an inch. here's to a 27.5" this year!)

I even took my 7 year old last year for 45 minutes. He can't wait to do it again this year.

I have one buddy who does the thermocline thing, over large basins. He's doesn't catch a lot of fish, but he catches a lot of big fish.

Last edited:

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
A thermo cell helps alot for the bugs, just put it in the boat upwind of you. Second, alot of bug spray! I put on latex or rubber exam gloves before I touch cranks or baits after coating in bug spray. I will have to try running shallow. Thanks for the tip!

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used to catch some big pigs in minnesota in the fall when walleyes are shallow at night in lakes, eating frogs as they move in for the winter. Had best luck on jointed raps pulled in 6-8 feet of water. That was a few decades ago but might still work!

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
well now i won't sleep this weekend - trailcam during the day, fish all night. Thanks dudes

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was out last night north side of Mallard, trolled until 10:30. One fish at 6:30 then nuthin. Tossed everything but the kitchen sink at them. I marked large schools of baitfish, and lots of nice hooks suspended in 30-45 feet. Surprisingly the fish I caught had an empty belly. Even with the wind picking up later on the bugs were a real pita. Still good night on the water.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66