Ranger 620VS

Founding Member
Founding Member
See! if you buy an older 620 you will get a real gas needle! :;:thumbsup

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
My buddies 620 is a 2014 I think. The only thing I don't like is the gas gauge. It doesn't have a needle but electronic blocks, and its off! We went a ways in day one of a tournament and when we came in his gas light was on and said we were running on fumes. When he filled up, he said he put 27 gallons in but said his tank is like 46.

2nd boat now w/fuel flow meter. Fuel gauges can piss right off. Reset the flow meter during re-fuel and one can confidently run to within 10% of empty without worry.

Previous boat, the needle didn't ever go above 3/4 full. Current boat the digital blocks will stay on full when I know it's down to 1/2 then show flashing last-block empty when I know there's 7-8gal left. Float and sensor gauges both equally suck.

Last edited:

defiant1

Honored Member
I've had allot of boats, mostly skeeters and our tourney boat has been a speedy 219 yar last couple years.
This was my first ranger, main reason I bought it... I was sick of bobbing up and down in big chop with the trolling motor out of the water. Only to look over and see a ranger just sitting there, now I'm that guy. And being a live bait trolling type the boat fits me perfectly.
And for those that are putting down the ride it makes me wonder if you've ever really rode in a 20 or 21. I've ran a 621 in a tourney and it flattened out the big stuff with ease and was dry. Fit and finish is as good as it gets as is resale.
Never thought I'd like the boxed in rear and even bashed it a fair amount without ever being in one. But now that I've had one it has gave me zero issues and I don't mind it at all. My next boat will just be a little bigger going to the 621.
There are allot of very good reasons why you see so many on the water. Even the older ones don't seem to age and they hold up extremely well.

You and I are like minded. Hopefully, I will get some good years out of this boat.

- - - Updated - - -

2nd boat now w/fuel flow meter. Fuel gauges can piss right off. Reset the flow meter during re-fuel and one can confidently run to within 10% of empty without worry

Can you elaborate on the type of fuel flow meter you utilize?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
You and I are like minded. Hopefully, I will get some good years out of this boat.

- - - Updated - - -

last boat I tied it into the NMEA backbone on my Lowrance graphs. Current boat has it tied into the Yamaha gauges.

pretty simple install. Cut the fuel line, stick the straw in, tighten 2 hose clamps, tie it into whatever system you have availablele.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

If you have a Merc with Smartcraft you already have a fuel flow meter. I've never trusted a boat gas gauge. The ones I've had usually go forever on full and drop like a rock afterwards.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The merc smart-craft gauge systems that I've had on my last two merc powered boats are fantastic. They give you everything from faults, fuel flow in GPH, engine temp, trim, troll control, oil temp or capacity (4 or 2 stroke), digital rpm, gallons used, and when tied to your GPS through the NEMA network you can get live GPS speed, mpg, heaidng, distance to waypoints, and you can also add other sensor for water & air temp amongst other things. If you have the smartcraft speedo & tach or the system monitor, you really don't need any other gauges oter than maybe one for the jackplate if your running a hydraulic plate.

- - - Updated - - -

Ahab, you beat me to it while I was typing!

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
Sorry new to the site and don't know where everything's at, can you PM me on the 2008 Ranger 620. I'm hoping to buy this fall

Founding Member
Founding Member
They won't let anyone message you yet, guess because your new. PM me when you are able to ruddy.

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
From what I've seen their are 2 kinds of boat owners:

1. Guys that have a Ranger!
2. Guys that want a Ranger!

::: :cool: ;:;popcorn

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 99 Starcraft 1800 sure rides dece.....
I love the excellent stora.....
And the value never goes dow...
F I wish I could afford a sparkle boat

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
You better wash your mouth out with soap. I know they share owners but that't the only thing.

From what I have read the hull and sides on the nitro is superior and more advanced the ranger. Specifically the sides. Don't kid yourself they share engineering depts I would assume they will upgrade the ranger to be on par with the nitro.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hey...us Tracker owners are people too...freaking snobs! Somebody get me another natty light...

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
From what I have read the hull and sides on the nitro is superior and more advanced the ranger. Specifically the sides. Don't kid yourself they share engineering depts I would assume they will upgrade the ranger to be on par with the nitro.

I'd pay more attention to counting beans vs shots of rot gut tequila if I was you;-)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 118
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70