Pellet Grills.....again.

BUCK83

Founding Member
Founding Member
GMG Daniel Boone for me. I researched the pellet grill market to death for a few years! The rec tec was what I was always leaning towards but I had nothing but great feedback from people who have actually used the GMG, it is quite a bit cheaper than the rec tec as well. I have not had any issues with the Daniel Boone at this point but i've only used it for about 20 hours. The unit is supposed to get as hot as 500 degrees so searing can be accomplished with it. I did not include the camp chef in much of my research but it seems to be an awesome grill, with the option of the sear box that I believe gets up to 900 degrees!

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was hesitant to get a pellet, but now have no regrets, I rarely turn on the gas grill anymore because everything on the pellet is just better. After doing quite a bit of research i ended up going with one of the new Rec-Tec models. I liked that they were full stainless, had wifi, and had a higher temp setting than the others. I've had mine over 600 degrees and didn't even have it calibrated to the max auger feed.

For a less expensive option i have heard pretty much all good things about the pit boss brand at Menards and Walmart.

IMO the Traegers are overpriced for what you get. Your definitely paying for the name/marketing. Consider them the Yeti of the pellet grills, good but not the best value.

Last edited:

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have and love a Camp Chef. The extra features like the quick clean put are great. I am definitely going to get the sear box for it soon. If you have any questions about it give me a call.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also if you do get a GMG get a thermal blanket as well. It allows the grill to heat up and to hold heat extremely well during the winter. I've used mine in subzero temps and not had a problem besides using a few more pellets than usual.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just want to pre-thank all of you jackasses. This thread is going to cost me $1,400...

On a lighter note, do many of you smoke/dry jerky on your GMG? Can you regulate the temp low enough so it doesn't "cook" the meat? I've got a Traeger and a Bradley Smoker, and the traeger grills will sometimes cook the jerky on the lowest setting. That's my only complaint about Traeger.

Taking a real hard look at the GMG Jim Bowie. The wi-fi control defiantly catches my eye! Is it as good as advertised??

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do jerkey on mine you can keep the Temps low enough if your grill has that low of setting green mountain is 150 I believe, the only issue is getting air to actually dry the meat it's more of a cook at the low temps but if you use a cure you should be good.

- - - Updated - - -

camp_chef_pellet_grill_and_smoker_jerky_rack_1394595_2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I have that on my grill and can load it up with jerky, that's the nice thing about pellet grills whatever you set it at temp wise should stay within that temp

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
All good info. My wife had suggested we build a brick pizza oven but we don't plan on staying in our house much longer. It's cool to see you can get an attachment for the GMG's.

If you want brick ovem style pizza get a Pizzaque. I just did and it makes freaking awesome pizzas! Stand alone propane mini oven, cooks a pizza in about 7 minutes at 700 degrees!

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I watched my neighor do jerky on his friends GMG this last weekend. Cooked it at 170. He had alot of it so i ended up doing some on mine as well. Turns out really well.

I just want to pre-thank all of you jackasses. This thread is going to cost me $1,400...

On a lighter note, do many of you smoke/dry jerky on your GMG? Can you regulate the temp low enough so it doesn't "cook" the meat? I've got a Traeger and a Bradley Smoker, and the traeger grills will sometimes cook the jerky on the lowest setting. That's my only complaint about Traeger.

Taking a real hard look at the GMG Jim Bowie. The wi-fi control defiantly catches my eye! Is it as good as advertised??

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've made a bunch of jerky on my GMG and it turns out amazing. Buy the Bull Rack BR6, it allows you to do a bunch of jerky at once.
IMG_1906.jpg

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys are bad influences. This thread is making me want a pellet grill to add to my arsenal just what I need at this point along with my plan for building my own reverse flow offset, needing to make some design changes to the pig pit, touch up work and modification to my OK Joe.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member

Yes and no. I had to get a better antenna for mine ($5 or so on amazon). After that yes its awesome. I use mine more for tweaking the grill. If you download the beta version of the app you can adjust the controller for ambient temps (the colder it is the harder it works to regulate temp). You can calibrate the temp probe and the grill temp itself as well. The profiles are great for long cooks because you can just go about your day and the grill will alert you when it hits your set point (time or temp).

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was hesitant to get a pellet, but now have no regrets, I rarely turn on the gas grill anymore because everything on the pellet is just better. After doing quite a bit of research i ended up going with one of the new Rec-Tec models. I liked that they were full stainless, had wifi, and had a higher temp setting than the others. I've had mine over 600 degrees and didn't even have it calibrated to the max auger feed.

For a less expensive option i have heard pretty much all good things about the pit boss brand at Menards and Walmart.

IMO the Traegers are overpriced for what you get. Your definitely paying for the name/marketing. Consider them the Yeti of the pellet grills, good but not the best value.

i got the pit boss and pretty impressed with it. Cooked ribs last new years when it was -20 and it held temp really good

supermag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Recently got a GMG Daniel Boone after doing a lot of research. Just seemed like the best bang for the buck without breaking the bank. Haven’t used it as much as I’d like, but very happy with it so far. Really like that it gets to 450-500 range with no problems and holds temp well.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I limped through the summer this far and it's time to update the current pellet grill (small Traeger). It's been withstanding the elements out on the deck for the last 7 yrs. I almost pulled the pin on the Jim Bowie GMG. Anyone have the Traeger Timberline?? :;:deadhorse

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
not a traeger fan. i have a pit boss now and really like it and have used a camp chef that was damn nice to.

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
I saw a camp chef at capitol city restaurant today that had a propane side burner with a hot plate. Had lots of awesome features. I have had a traeger and currently own a louisanna, and if I were to buy another one today, would have to take a hard look at the camp chef.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I want one --- i just dont want to pay for one as i cant justify that i will use it enough.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
GMG...hands down I know several people with them and all love them. make sure it has wifi...once you start using that yoiu will use the grill more often...I am in the same boat as shorthairs...I have been looking at them for over a year now just haven't pulled the trigger, but when I do it will be a GMG...

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Skip Traeger, can get way more for your money with other brands.

Last edited:

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only problem is the cooking space on the GMG. The Jim Bowie is 658sqin vs Timerline 1300sqin. Almost double the grill space

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75