Pellet Grills.....again.

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
Seems like a software or possibly a temp probe problem. I clean the probe everytime I clean the grill. In the past, I have noticed temps dropping when it gets real dirty.
From what I've heard on the GMG facebook groups if they try to push the problem to the side just push back and they'll take care of it. I would be pretty annoyed with that response as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Depends...I use Lumberjack and they have some that are "blends" and some that are 100% apple, cherry, pecan, ect. It seems like not many of the retailers carry the 100% varieties though and they are a little more expensive. I cant speak to other brands on what they do.

Yeah I agree, Ill start with cleaning the temp probe and see what happens.. Hopefully this solves the issue.

Thanks man!

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Year 2 with Pitboss 820. Still enjoy it, love it for pork shoulders, ribs and recently been cooking whole chickens (so damn tasty) we raised and butchered. So i tell myself they taste better...but like others have posted, steaks and burgers still use the ol charcoal weber.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i still use a regular gas grill and a smoke tube. seems more versatile to me. i suppose i will consider making the switch when this one falls apart. those pellet grills are pretty convenient for long smokes though.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have nothing to compare my Traeger as it's the only pellet grill I've had. Received it as a gift so didn't do any shopping. Have never had a problem (knock on wood) and it's simple to use. Still use my gas Weber some but for a lot of things the Traeger is my choice. Main reason is the ease of cooking low and slow. Hard to keep the Weber below 300 degrees in the summer.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ahem.....

https://www.hastybake.com/

Why not go with the oldest charcoal grill company in the US? So many people are missing out. Granted their marketing could be alot better, but the real grill/smoke enthusiast doesnt buy an easy bake grill like the Traegers.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't know what took them so long. Can anyone make an auger that doesn't get plugged?
My Rec-tec has never plugged and i dont clean it out near as often as i should. Its my first pellet grill so honestly didn't even realize plugging was an issue. Does that plague other brands, or is it possibly a pellet-brand issue?

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When I bought my GMG I used their pellets for the first 4 bags and the auger always plugged which in turn makes the temperature fluctuate all over the damn place. Switched to Pit Boss, no issues. The found Lumberjack pellets, which are my favorite, still no issues plugging.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ahem.....

https://www.hastybake.com/

Why not go with the oldest charcoal grill company in the US? So many people are missing out. Granted their marketing could be alot better, but the real grill/smoke enthusiast doesnt buy an easy bake grill like the Traegers.
I like this. Pellet grills are the training wheels of outdoor cookery. Controversial, but very true. That said I have a Traeger that I got as a gift

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
my gmg plugged a couple of times the first few uses. I just let it do its thing and it eventually clears itself. I typically use lumberjack pellets but the most recent bag of char-cherry from camp chef doesn't seem to agree with my gmg.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I could see where any humidity/dampness of the pellets would eventually disagree with an auger system.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure the rich neighbor girl down the street had a Hasty Bake oven when I was a kid

- - - Updated - - -

oops... correction

Premier_model_Easy_Bake_oven.jpg

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Green mountain has a good deal going on right now if anyone is still in the market for a pellet grill.

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
my gmg plugged a couple of times the first few uses. I just let it do its thing and it eventually clears itself. I typically use lumberjack pellets but the most recent bag of char-cherry from camp chef doesn't seem to agree with my gmg.

Had the same issues with CC pellets in my GMG. Use GMG and Lumberjack pellets with no issues.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75