Pellet Grills.....again.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Finally going to make the leap into this pellet grill thing. Looking around the web has me down a rabbit hole that I can't dig out of. Here's where I'm currently hanging. The pitboss seems like a fairly cost effective option and you have the ability to sear a steak with the sliding door option. Minus the fact that they're sold at walmart, they look to be alright.

I'm going to take a look at some green mountain grills tonight. Since I'm in scheels at least once a week, I'lll take a look at traegers at that point.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I was in the same dilemma as you I was going to get the pit boss because of the sear deal, and the old man has one and loves it. Instead I stumbled across the bighorn XL at Dicks for 225 bucks it is about the size of the 800 pit boss but doesn't have the searing opening, it is more like the traeger. Anyways I bought it and absolutely love the thing, Everything I have cooked turns out great from steak to chicken to ribs, and ham. Since I saved a couple hundred bucks I also bought the Davey crocket GMG for camping and the lake got it for 290 on ebay with the cover it is awesome and has all kinds of options with the app for anyone that is into that stuff. Best advice is to just buy one and start using it as long as it will smoke at low temps and get around 500 degrees there isn't much you can't cook. I have been using lumberjack brand pellets and they have been great and fairly cheap at runnings.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
GMG Daniel Boone is in my garage and it's amazing. GMG also has amazing warranty support; anything I've needed has been on my doorstep in a couple of days whether I contacted them via e-mail or phone. They are all great, but i'm partial to GMG over Traeger. I feel like I get more smoke, especially when cooking at a higher temp. Either way, you're going to absolutely love going to a pellet grill.

As far as pellets go, I agree with @sweeney, Lumberback have been great to me. Pit boss pellets have also been good to me. I ran four bags of GMG pellets through when I first bought my grill and they are WORTHLESS! They always jammed my auger and I couldn't fill my hopper full, EVER!

Last edited:

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a GMG Daniel Boone and freakin' love it. I've had 5 friends buy one in the last year as well with no complaints or problems. IMO the wifi option is worth it. Its nice to be able to update software, calibrate the grill, set grill profiles and just be lazy and check temps from the couch.

I'm on the Lumberjack pellet bandwagon as well.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't jumped into the pellet grill hole "yet" but one that has me interested is the Yoder brand made in Kansas and I think I read one time they have a 10yr warranty on the body. They are built much heavier seams close to 1/4" steel so I would think it would work better in colder temps. From the research I have done I think GMG, Yoder, Rec-Tec seem to be the top 3 these days.
They are spendy compared to most others out there and I don't think they have Wi-Fi control options.

DerHornen

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are so many brands now it's hard to keep up, and which ones you look at depend on how much you're willing to spend. If your budget is over $500 take a good look at Camp Chef. The easy cleanout feature for the burn pot is nice, and the propane sear box on the side is sweet for getting a really good sear on steaks. I looked at the Grilla, GMG, Traeger, RecTec, etc. If I hadn't bought the Camp Chef my next in line would probably be Grilla, GMG, or RecTec. I'm not sure Traeger gives the same bang for the buck now that there's so many competitors that have upped their games. PitBoss seems to have the best lower cost options around.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am happy with my RecTec. did a bunch of research when I bought a few years ago. Seems like there are three times as many options with manufacturers now. RecTec has some new lines as well - one for searing even that looks interesting. The new WIFI technology that connects to your phone looks sweet for longer cooks or even when you are not at home. Best of luck.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another vote for the Camp Chef. I think there are a few others out there with a few more features, but for the price and what you get it is hard to beat. If you are willing to pay more, the GMG are really nice. Pit Boss isn't terrible, just feel like you make a good jump up if you are willing to just a little more. Once you go there, you won't go back. My gas grill is just sitting. Propane bottle is hooked up to my PizzaQue instead LOL!

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unlimited funds/buy once cry once=Yoder
Good quality/decent price= green mountain
Best bang for your buck= camp chef
Cheap gets you a pellet grill see to see if pellet grills are for you= pit boss (Menards has these too.)

Just my two cents I have used all of these brands above family and friends have them, I have a camp chef.
I also have seen a rec tec in action they just don't have no dealers and buy direct from them, which is fine unless you have problems not easy to ship a big grill back.

Last edited:

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i got a new traeger a few years ago and it has served me very well... i also have a cheap walmart gas grill for the quick char cook... have looked at the new ones for my future replacement and can't wrap my head around what i really want ($2k)... could replace my 2 now for $1k...

first world problems...

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never thought I'd buy a pellet, cuz I love my charcoal. But I picked up a Pitboss 820 end of June. For the price I'd love to see what is so much better spending twice that for a traeger or another high priced brand. I can smoke at low temps and sear at 500. I have no complaints YET. Long term guess I'll find out. I got it at Menards for $399. Tough to beat. I've done ribs (excellent) , steaks ,burgers and brats and recently a brisket. Gonna try a turkey next and cant wait..

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a traeger. It took a shit on me... I switched to a Pit boss Copperhead 5 (walmart exclusive version) and fricken love it... I love the fact that If I want to do up 100# of pork butt for an event I can do it in 1 smoke, or if I want to make up a couple steaks I can either smoke it low or crank the heat up and cook them fast. ( I much prefer cooking them low for a couple hours) My C5 smokes right at 150 and has no problem getting up over 425 if I want it to. I will never go back to a pellet grill again. Only uprights for this guy.

P.s. If you decide to go to an upright like I did, go to walmart and buy the Copperhead 5. They have the C5 for the same price or less than the C3 sold by everyone else.

DerHornen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some of what you pay for with other brands is longevity, not necessarily capability. The Pit Boss units I looked at seemed to be decent but they were noticeably thinner and lighter materials than others and some of them don't have stainless burn pots, which will rust out a lot faster. The electronics for most of the sub $1000 grills seem to be pretty much the same except for those with wifi capable controls. Depending on your usage the wifi capabilities might be sweet or they might be a waste of time. I have a remote thermometer with dual probes so wifi doesn't do much for me, but maybe it would make a difference if I wanted to monitor temp and adjust the program while I was away from home.

I tried to upload a picture of a camp chef reverse seared steak but kept getting an error. The propane sear box can reverse sear a steak like no other if that's your thing. I can say that I've never made easier, more flavorful, and more consistent quality steaks with any other grill, and I don't think that the grills with sliding diffusers for direct flame can beat the high temp propane burner for searing (900 degrees!). If you're going to do steaks and burgers on a charcoal or gas grill no matter what, that sear burner doesn't add value and other brands and features have a leg up. I'll be looking to sell my gas grill. It hasn't been used since the pellet grill showed up 2 months ago.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another vote for Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone. You will not be disappointed and GMG's customer service is top notch. If you have facebook there is an awesome page for GMG owners. Run lumberjack pellets and also buy a Bull Rack BR6. Everything is amazing on a pellet grill. I've made a lot of stuff from the normal meats to smoked salmon, eggs, cookies, jerky, pizza with the pizza oven attachment.

sdwxman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Big Horn pellet grill. Got it on sale at Runnings last year. Works great!

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
I have the GMG Jim Bowie -LOVE IT! Had a Traeger and could not keep it running during colder ambient temps - On more than one occasion I would be halfway through a cook and the grill would just shut down - So I gave it to a buddy to use and will never buy a Traeger again.

If you like neopolitan style pizza's the GMG has an attachment.. I will admit that Ive began geeking out on the pizza scene, and experimenting with expensive flours, dough recipes, sauce recipes, 800 degree temps, etc. in order to get a true neopolitan style pizza perfected.. Ive made about 15 pizza's so far and had only 4 pizza's turn out perfect. With time and experience it will get even better!

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
All good info. My wife had suggested we build a brick pizza oven but we don't plan on staying in our house much longer. It's cool to see you can get an attachment for the GMG's.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the GMG Jim Bowie -LOVE IT! Had a Traeger and could not keep it running during colder ambient temps - On more than one occasion I would be halfway through a cook and the grill would just shut down - So I gave it to a buddy to use and will never buy a Traeger again.

If you like neopolitan style pizza's the GMG has an attachment.. I will admit that Ive began geeking out on the pizza scene, and experimenting with expensive flours, dough recipes, sauce recipes, 800 degree temps, etc. in order to get a true neopolitan style pizza perfected.. Ive made about 15 pizza's so far and had only 4 pizza's turn out perfect. With time and experience it will get even better!

Do you have the wifi JB? I love being able to adjust the grill settings during the winter with mine. It helps keep temps regulated better.

Your pizza game is much stronger than mine. I made a frozen pizza corner on the GMG last night. We do cook a lot of papa murphy's on ours but we don't have the pizza attachment.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67