Grain free food

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
More news on grain free dog food.

New studies say grain free dog food has been linked to heart failure in dogs. An FDA investigation sparked in light of these findings.

Grain free dog food has become a popular trend for pet owners. But new research says it might not be as healthy as some originally thought
Grain Free food contains peas, lentils, legume seeds or potatoes, instead of typical grain and corn.
Professionals say that they have seen a rise in canine dilated cardiomyopathy, which is just another name for a dog heart disease, in dogs eating this type of food.

Symptoms include fatigue, coughing and trouble breathing in dogs.
Associate Veterinarian at Missouri Valley Vet, Dr. Crystal Scott says, "The good news it does seem to be reversible, you add taurine into the food and it reverses. They haven't been able to link specific grain free foods to the dilated cardiomyopathy so its still in the early stages at this point."
The FDA has not correlated any specific brands yet or told people what exactly to do.
Large breed dogs, such as Great Danes, Boxers, Saint Bernards are more frequently affected by heart disease as well.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pancakes, maybe some roast beef, mashed potatoes, she even likes whole kernel corn, part of a bun, the little grandsons kinda of make a mess at the table, the dog loves them kids

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My dog ate half a pepperoni pizza off the counter this weekend for the 3rd time. Little bastard. Hard to discipline when you don’t catch them. He must have iron guts becaus he’s never gotten sick or pooped weird. He gets Purina pro plan lamb and rice. The only thing I’ve noticed is he has very watery eyes/eye boogers. Not sure if it’s excessive or not and he doesn’t seem irritated but I’m gonna talk to the vet about it

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to feed the Purina lamb and rice dogs had ear infections a lot switched to the diamond naturals and fixed that

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's all that GMO shit we can't sell to other countries, so feed it to animals

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha ha, if it wasn't for that GMO shit we would all be starving and you would have to eat your dog to stay alive. :;:stirthepot ::boxing::

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
We switched to taste of the wild food a couple years ago and the dogs seem to eat less and crap less and all seem healthy. Growing up on the farm the dogs ate the cheapest stuff we could buy and they seemed to live plenty long as long as they didn’t get run over first.

Lately I’ve been taking all of my deer trimmings, scrap meat, between the rib meat, heart, liver, whatever I’m not going to eat and grinding it up and dehydrating it like jerky and giving it to the dogs as treats. It stinks the hell out of the garage, I think that’s the venison fat and ground liver but the dogs go insane over it and they haven’t gotten sick or nasty dog farts from it yet and I get to feel like I’m not being wasteful. Off of two deer I got 9 gallon bags of jerky.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i gave my dog some trimming off the deer he loved it but i might have gave him to much at one time he took a dump that rivaled a grizzly the next morning in his kennel

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use taste of the wild mixed with Beneful healthy weight, 50/50. I dont limit my dogs access to food at all and they stay thin and healthy. Also helps I think that I didnt get my male dog fixed, that tends to make them lazy and fat.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I'll just stick to the big bag of Pedigree and table scraps.....mix in walleye and some deer scraps periodically

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Feed our dogs Nutro and wild game scraps. Besides the occasional bout of swamp ass from my lab after a few days in the slough, no major issues.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I switched from Purina Pro Plan to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover. 100% natural ingredients, grain-free, with meats such as turkey, duck, and fish. Higher protein levels and absolutely no chemicals. Only $3-4 more than Pro Plan per 30lb bag.

Dog has been on Chicken Soup for 6yrs now. I buy it at Menards or the Gold Label Feeds on E. Broadway.

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
www.dogfoodadvisor.com
This website was suggested by our vet to show what ingredients actually go in the food. It is a good way to compare the foods and then prices. It gives the food a nutritional rating as well.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 164
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76