heeeeeey, van hookers...

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
need a little help for the warriors on the water tourney this weekend... it's gonna b really hot and windy on saturday, and wanna find fish fairly close to the ramp in case i have some elderly folks with me... i'm gonna pre-fish on thursday and friday, but could use some general info on depths and what to try...

fwiw, i'm not interested in raping and pillaging... we have great fishing on the west end and haven't been to the hook since wow last year, and i'm sure won't b back till next year...

all info appreciated - pm's r fine and won't b shared except on tourney day...

thanks all... you really help us give these hero's a great day...

2Q==

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
16 out of the southeast is going to make think interesting for us. Wonder if they’ll let us launch from elsewhere.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
pretty sure i ran into dirtymike up there last wknd......red/white larson 1750 DC shit show of kids popping out like gophers. haha

imo there scattered cant say I found any huge concentrations of fish but would hit 1,2,3 up to 4 fish at a spot move repeat.

targeted 30ft+ pm me for specifics if you name of specific . didn't get 2 miles from the ramp in fact I cant say I fished much south of the van hook ramp.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
pretty sure i ran into dirtymike up there last wknd......red/white larson 1750 DC shit show of kids popping out like gophers. haha

imo there scattered cant say I found any huge concentrations of fish but would hit 1,2,3 up to 4 fish at a spot move repeat.

targeted 30ft+ pm me for specifics if you name of specific . didn't get 2 miles from the ramp in fact I cant say I fished much south of the van hook ramp.

5575 and I had a good laugh when jdinny said fish on. His brood popped out of all the compartments to battle the fish. We had that hump to ourselves the day before and popped a nice fish on it. Wasn't the case the next day.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really hoping that wind forecast calms itself a little bit. But if we need to figure out a launch we can figure something out. I know I have a couple guys driving down to pouch to put in

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Never been to Van Hook, but looking forward to learning something about the arm this weekend.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
5575 and I had a good laugh when jdinny said fish on. His brood popped out of all the compartments to battle the fish. We had that hump to ourselves the day before and popped a nice fish on it. Wasn't the case the next day.

haha yep I believe you I had it to myself the wknd before and at times were netting two fish at once. the evening prior to that we ran into them good further north but it was slow sat so ran back to that spot, was slower there too. haven't got anything like you've got but the eldest sone got his PR at 25 " last wknd. I told him to watch you guys that how you rip jigs so he watched you for quite awhile.

Motor Mouse

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fished the north and central part of the Hook this past Sunday trying to stay out of the way of the tourney boats down south. I do agree fish are more scattered then a couple weeks back but we did find fish concentrated on a hump that crested at 34 feet surrounded by 45 feet of water. Half crawler rigs 6 to 7 feet long behind 2.5 oz bottom bouncers ~ 1 mph. We were just east of the south side of 8 lb island. We hit Gull and Fox on the way down but only about 15 minutes in each spot with no fish but we did see a couple caught on the east side of Fox. Leaches will produce but they are hard to find and when you do they are selling for 6$ or more per dozen. We had a couple smaller fish we kept because they were pushing their bladder out but the others were all in that 19 inch range. Took just over an hour for the 10.

The fish were easily visible on the graph when we got near and passed over that hump. Graphed fish got a bite, even had a double.

Shell, pouch and Deep water area all are producing some very nice sized fish right now. But that probably is not an option running from the Van Hook ramps with the south east wind your talking about. (boat traffic has been pretty crazy in that area)

NJL

Founding Member
Founding Member
They're definitely scattered, it seems pretty hit or miss out there. Friday we picked up 8 keepers, but we had to hit quite a few spots and it took a lot longer. Saturday was terrible for us, only managed one sauger. Sunday we put in at Pouch and stuck around that area managing 5 fish. All weekend we were targeting 30-40 FoW, and in some places we marked quite a few fish. Just couldn't seem to get them to bite. Surprisingly, BBs did the worst of all our presentations. Most fish came trolling cranks, and a few others came on jiggin raps. I don't know if we were staying too deep or what.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Deep is where they will be. Deep areas off 8lb and north end of fox would be a good place to start. Clayton's between fox and 8lb may be ok too. Not sure how deep that sunken island is. Probably 30+ feet above it but that would probably be fine too.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
great info - thanks all, and especially to the pm's with the coveted info that has been coming in - you guys r the best, and appreciated...

i have a couple days to figure it out... course the big wind on saturday may change all that, but i hope to b prepared jic...

here's to a great event with only great experiences... :;:cheers

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll be out on thursday getting some info for the WoW event. I'll be down around the Shell village area. We may try up in the arm first, just to see if we can find some up there. If you see a black/gray Stratos 385xf with a 2oo yamahammer with 2 big dudes and a kid in it thats us. swing by and say hi and we'll tell ya what we know.

DerHornen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fairly slow today. It was still all morning and the gnats were out in force. Spinners, slow deaths, and jigging raps didn't produce anything on humps or shell village. A little wind kicked up in early afternoon and cranks brought in some decent eater sized fish on points next to bays.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fairly slow today. It was still all morning and the gnats were out in force. Spinners, slow deaths, and jigging raps didn't produce anything on humps or shell village. A little wind kicked up in early afternoon and cranks brought in some decent eater sized fish on points next to bays.

good to know - thank you...

we spent all morning up north (9am - 12) looking for spots to catch fish in the big wind coming saturday... derp - wind got pushed back to sunday - which is a good thing... pretty excited to head south of fox tomorrow morning...

fwiw, we got nothing pulling spinners or lindy's - not a bite... everything for us came in 30-38 fow on jigs - .2 mph at the most...

bugs and flat water = ass...

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
well i will be up this wknd as the wind got pushed back.

sounds like the brood may be jumping in the water rather than fishing this wknd.

if you see a red/white larson fx1750 stop in say hi. ill be bopping around trying tolocate some wish will report back if i find anything consistent. i may end up pulling cranks north of the boat ramp targeting whitebass for the boys

good luck to all this wknd

- - - Updated - - -

ill be fishing the sunken islands that have produced all summer this evening. with the idea that I will working more that west side and just keep jumping further south as I go. how long the brood lets me go is anyones idea. fish,jump in water, move, fish jump in water move repaeat

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will guarantee you if you pull Reef runners in 28-35 feet of water from independence point to skunk you’ll catch fish. Contour troll that shoreline.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Okay report from tonight caught fish on the summer island north but slow went in some big flats pulled cranks using the 50:50 method and snaps and it went fast. Doubles. Lots of shakers would hit but not take. 26-35 ft

- - - Updated - - -

Sunken island Dam auto correct . I was way north in the arm 2 miles from ramp tips

- - - Updated - - -

Whites and purples wife was impressed with me haven’t showed her the snaps yet haha

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Okay report from tonight caught fish on the summer island north but slow went in some big flats pulled cranks using the 50:50 method and snaps and it went fast. Doubles. Lots of shakers would hit but not take. 26-35 ft

- - - Updated - - -

Sunken island Dam auto correct . I was way north in the arm 2 miles from ramp tips

- - - Updated - - -

Whites and purples wife was impressed with me haven’t showed her the snaps yet haha
you should have come and got my cranks

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do gladly “ borrow them” haha I have quite a few little rippers and 800 series reef runners. Not sure if I would rather let out 120 ft of line or unhook a snap haha. Anyway cranks really was the ticket last night.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75