Chokecherries

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
The wife and I spent some quality time last night filling up our pails with chokecherries. And for the life of us we couldn't remember how much 1 gal of chokecherries would yield, jam wise. We picked just under a 5 gal bucket full. Would of been more if it weren't for the skeeters!

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have a good recipe for chokecherry syrup? Have some we would like to use up. Received a jar a couple of years ago as a gift and it was fantastic on pancakes and ice cream!!

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kinda looking for the same. I used one i found ( haven't tried yet) just made this Am. Called for 3 cups of juice and 6 cups of sugar. Seemed like a lot, I guess will see. Have about 15 cups of juice yet if this isn't the ticket.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kinda looking for the same. I used one i found ( haven't tried yet) just made this Am. Called for 3 cups of juice and 6 cups of sugar. Seemed like a lot, I guess will see. Have about 15 cups of juice yet if this isn't the ticket.

For most of my jams/jellies/syrups I use either 1/1 puree/juice to sugar or even 2/1. Ive been trying to get away from excess sugar tho. Thats not chokecherry tho, for grape or raspberry or cherry usually.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there such a thing as water softener sugar?

- - - Updated - - -

https://qualitytx.com/water-softener-sugar-land

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've picked nearly 9 gallons of chokecherries so far. Most will be going to mom as she and my stepdad love chokecherry jelly, I think the rest is going to a couple batches of hooch.

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
We make a lot of syrup, I typically use just half a package of pectin and follow the same direction as jelly. Can it and just fill an old syrup container when needed.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've picked nearly 9 gallons of chokecherries so far. Most will be going to mom as she and my stepdad love chokecherry jelly, I think the rest is going to a couple batches of hooch.

Taste testing?

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
So has anyone here ever used buffalo berries? Seen a fair few articles about them lately being the next Superfruit and all that but don't know anyone who ever used them other than my uncle and he died back in 90. They definitely appear to be one that you have to wait for the first Frost kn because they are tart as hell right now and turn your mouth into a desert.

As for chokecherries and juneberries tell you one thing if you do much of it get yourself one of these cuz they are a time saver!

bl302s2.jpg

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Taste testing?

Hah, it's going to be a while as I'll probably freeze the CCs intended for the hooch. I was adding up the number of big game tags that I, the kids, the GF and her son will have. There's the potential I'll be processing 8 big game animals this fall.

Plus, this will be a learning experience. The last couple of years we have used my chokecherries to have a few batches of wine made over at Vintners. Last year cost over $700 for a double batch (60'ish bottles) of CC wine. So this year we are going to try our own luck. Besides, I still have 30-some bottles leftover from last year. Good stuff, but it's really the galpal who leads me to put the beer down and pick up a wine glass.

- - - Updated - - -

So has anyone here ever used buffalo berries? Seen a fair few articles about them lately being the next Superfruit and all that but don't know anyone who ever used them other than my uncle and he died back in 90. They definitely appear to be one that you have to wait for the first Frost kn because they are tart as hell right now and turn your mouth into a desert.

As for chokecherries and juneberries tell you one thing if you do much of it get yourself one of these cuz they are a time saver!

1.jpg

I prefer to use a tarp on the ground.

And yes, I have used buffalo berries to make jelly. Really damn good stuff even if I did have trouble getting it to jell. Best way to pick them is to wait until after the first frost, spread a tarp on the ground and start whacking the branches. Thorny bastards aren't very fun to pick the old fashioned way.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74