jigging raps

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
You may need another tray of these. Seems you are missing three of everything... Here I thought I was happy with owning five of 'em! LMAO:;:muahaha

I don't think anyone in the history of buying jiggin raps will ever come across the deal huffranger did a couple years ago. 1.99 a piece filled the box up fairly easily.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
That front hook is a bastard for ice fishing. And the bottom treble hook is too small

dschaible

Established Member
I wonder what the reasoning is behind the clear fin instead of a colored fin? Colored fin would add size to the profile but is maybe more unnatural?

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was talking to someone the other day that uses these and he said they cut the front hook off. I didn't ask why at the time. Has anyone heard of this?

Yes, I do the same. I found that i lost 50% or so with the front hook and i have lost 10% without the front hook. Cant explain why, but had someone tell me they cut them off as well. Gave it a try and now I have 0 with front hooks. I also fish them with PP and a 10ft mono leader.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I call em snaggin raps....the hard fast dropping into the bottom action makes Walters zoom over n try to pin them down, and on the next rip, you snag em in the pecs, making a 14" fish feel like it's 24". Do not use where carp, buffalo, Cisco, or paddlefish are abundant unless you're really bored and using 30+lb test. Paddlefish owe me about 50 bucks this year.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think anyone in the history of buying jiggin raps will ever come across the deal huffranger did a couple years ago. 1.99 a piece filled the box up fairly easily.

I heard about that. Lots of guys I know ordered cases of em. Almost sounds like it was a typo on that website

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you guys bait them with a full minnow or just the head.... or not at all?

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you guys bait them with a full minnow or just the head.... or not at all?

Notta.. as far as fun-catching fish goes tho, pitching jigs, jiggin-raps, pitchin raps takes the top 3 in that order in my book.

CranknTFX

20180809_164538.jpg
Yesterday. Caught 3 quick order while drifting with the lily pad.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
That front hook is a bastard for ice fishing. And the bottom treble hook is too small

A guy on YouTube shows switching out the treble hooks for a larger size. Another video shows the guy taking his needle nose pliers and bending each of the hooks a little further out.

I'd rather do the second choice and just bend the hooks outward more. Switching out treble hooks also means bending the opening up to make the switch and lessens the stiffness of the neck that holds the treble.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cut the front hook off and upsize the bottom hook.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Does everyone fish jigging raps the same way in the winter as the summer? In the winter I don’t typically let it drop to the bottom every time. Am I fishing it wrong in the winter? Now I’m starting to wonder if I would have triggered more strikes in the winter.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does everyone fish jigging raps the same way in the winter as the summer? In the winter I don’t typically let it drop to the bottom every time. Am I fishing it wrong in the winter? Now I’m starting to wonder if I would have triggered more strikes in the winter.

I cast them more in the summer than I do in the winter.

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
While we are on this subject...what has everyone been using for line when snap jigging? I've have used Fireline with a 2' floro leader to add a little stretch/give. Watching Al Linder one time I think he said he uses mono as his primary line and adds a swivel with a short leader tied directly to the jigging rap (no snap). Said he ran a swivel to prevent line twist.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
While we are on this subject...what has everyone been using for line when snap jigging? I've have used Fireline with a 2' floro leader to add a little stretch/give. Watching Al Linder one time I think he said he uses mono as his primary line and adds a swivel with a short leader tied directly to the jigging rap (no snap). Said he ran a swivel to prevent line twist.

He swaers by mono. I think it allows you to never over work the bait and the stretch keeps the hooks “pinned” better. That said, I can’t stand mono so I use 2-3 feet of flouro with a spro barrel swivel. If a guy is fishing deep(30+feet) I think no stretch is better. Fishing 10-20 feet might result in fewer hooked/landed fish.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
JigRap Eye.jpg
The more hooks you have the better your chance of snagging fish---And snagging fish is my favorite as every fish feels like a wall hanger.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
shiver minnows will out fish the raps in open water. especially in the fall

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
shiver minnows will out fish the raps in open water. especially in the fall

I sure wish this was true cuz I’d much prefer to use Shivers. Unfortunately we’ve never found this to be true. That said, having confidence in this style of bait is 50 percent or more of the battle.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends on technique. Wife puts a clinic with a puppet and I can't catch anything on those. Shiver feel the best but those rapals catch.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77