Minnesota Bear Baiting

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well baiting opener is getting close and I really have the itch to get started, anyone else hunting in Minnesota this fall?

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes sir!

baiting and bear hunting is so addicting and fun

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Are you part of the Peace Garden State influx that rapes and pillages the natural resources of other states? :::

- - - Updated - - -

We are setting up a group to go around and let air out of tires. So be aware.
::::;::;:

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep from ND, this is my 11th year in a row hunting bear in Minnesota, made some great friends there over the years, love the work baiting, the time around the campfire at the cabin in the evenings, oh yea and shooting the bear!

Actually I get more enjoyment bringing friends with who have never shot a bear and listening to the stories they tell and the excitement in their voice telling them.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Do you use pic-a-nick baskets to bag yogi and boo-boo?

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
My folks have a bear that has been coming by weekly by their cabin near Nevis. It's going to town on the bird feeders. Nice young tender thing. I might just whack it one day as it's traveling from cabin to cabin. Typically coming around near lunch hour, too. Is that normal?

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I couldn't get a tag this year and have bears all over my cameras. Unit 46 if anyone needs a spot

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are hard on bird feeders in the area we hunt.

We hunt the No Quota area, that way we can hunt every year and there doesn't seem to be any shortage of bear?

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Started hunting the public land the first four years, got to know some locals and now have become good friends. We now stay in a hunting cabin of one of the landowners. About half the baits are on private land now, but still bait reliable sites on public that always produce bear.

Found out real fast that if you hunt the public most baiters will be close to the road, couple hundred yards and are not above setting on top of you. Get a half mile in and you will pretty much be left to yourself, BUT it is a lot more work getting bait in and bear out.

My only complaint is that outfitters are allowed to bait and have clients hunt on public land, just seem wrong but it is what it is. Between State Land and Nature Conservancy Land there is 1000's of acres of public access land to hunt on.

Bowhunter_24, you are correct, bear hunting is very addicting, it is my favorite hunt of the year.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
This will be year 28 in a row. Got 3 kids to take early, then us " big kids"
Bet I've seen 75 bear since May.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya I hunt all public and our baits are always very active and we always fill our tags but it takes 3 years now. im looking into the no quota zone just so I can buy a tag on a year I want one

bear baiting takes time and dedication and if I draw elk and deer tags it gets tough.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spent 5 hours today clearing a favorite spot. Shear winds came through a month ago and and a huge tree fell n crushed my favorite stand.

Took that long with chainsaw just to get to it.
Had to finally call it for the day about 2:00. The heat tore me up!
Gonna have to rebuild the stand which I did last year. It's a 4x4 foot stand 10' to the bottom with a roof. Good place to take kids and when raining.
Tried thinking of the past n lost count but guessing there have been about 40 bear taken from it the past 15 years. Will resume the project tomorrow.
For those looking for places to hunt, focus on sunflowers n corn fields near a wet area.
Really dry in NW blue- plate country.
Best of luck!

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ya I've been thinking about bringing my bear boat over and hunting some dens. Usually just drive in some posted up swamps and there can be 40-50 bears sleeping in their dens over night. Easy pickins. If anybody runs across 10 cases of empty .338 shells out in a swamp, don't hunt it cuz I just kilt all the bears there.

If you got a problem with that, you're just 10ply bud.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75