Plumbing question

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a day late dollar short..my guess is a drain of some sort and that your ceiling is sheet rocked means their is no way to access that line above the ceiling, nobody in their right mind would not have an access to shut off a line like that, it has to be readily accessible to shut off.
A 3 grader can tell you this.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm a day late dollar short..my guess is a drain of some sort and that your ceiling is sheet rocked means their is no way to access that line above the ceiling, nobody in their right mind would not have an access to shut off a line like that, it has to be readily accessible to shut off.
A 3 grader can tell you this.

So are you telling us you are the 3rd grader?

Vollmer, don't you have to be over 21 to be on this site? : )

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
but, when you open the shut off valve completely water doesn't run? now that i look at it closely after saving the image, it appears its a threaded end and may have been capped at some point. which means maybe they were just trying to run water to the outside and didn't realize that is not the best way to go about it. albeit, i've missed a bit of this conversation.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
but, when you open the shut off valve completely water doesn't run? now that i look at it closely after saving the image, it appears its a threaded end and may have been capped at some point. which means maybe they were just trying to run water to the outside and didn't realize that is not the best way to go about it. albeit, i've missed a bit of this conversation.

If I crack open 2/3 shut off valves, I will get water exiting the mystery pipe. If I open them up just shy of fully open, I get no water.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm no plumber but where are these valves you are turning ? And what kind of valves ? Is it garden hose threads or pipe thread on the end ? Put a valve on the end and see if it eventually pressures up , If it does then I'd assume That it's designed to supply outside water and not an overflow of some sort. Sounds like faulty gate valves to a jerry rigged outdoor water spigot to me.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
gate valve to the jerry rigged outdoor water spigot on backwards? i think some of them might be designed to only flow one way so they don't back feed. this is intriguing... pictures would be sweet.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
No. Natural gas. This is the first time I’ve seen water in it since we bought the place.

you must mean NG forced air

we have a NG boiler

I was thinking maybe it was some odd outlet for blowing out the boiler water lines (so they don't freeze in winter if heat turned off)

I love boiler heating BTW - quiet, no dust, seems to not get as dry, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

pictures would be sweet.

agreed - I too loathe an unsolved puzzle

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
we grew up with NG boiler hot water baseboard and my current house is propane boiler hot water baseboard. i like it too. seems a bit more efficient. but, i may be wrong on that. only issue i have is propane is not nearly as cheap as NG. back to the topic at hand.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like how stable the temp is held - even when the boiler isn't burning the water remains hot in the baseboards a long time - seems like there's almost no temp swing at all

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
how many valves did you find? I'm thinking more and more it's a way to drain your your other outside spickets. One valve to shut the water off to the spickets and another to let it come out the mystery pipe. you found the shut off and there is another to let the existing water flow out.

- - - Updated - - -

Any pressure relief heading out side wouldn't make sense as it could freeze up and fail.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would think the way to find out what its for is pretty cut and dry. Stick a garden hose into the pipe and see where the water comes out in the house?!?!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm no plumber but where are these valves you are turning ? And what kind of valves ? Is it garden hose threads or pipe thread on the end ? Put a valve on the end and see if it eventually pressures up , If it does then I'd assume That it's designed to supply outside water and not an overflow of some sort. Sounds like faulty gate valves to a jerry rigged outdoor water spigot to me.

FWIW a faulty gate valve might open with equal pressure on both sides of the valve and then possibly not shut off again so I'd put a cheap plastic valve on the end of the pipe VS a plug during the mystery solving period.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pictures incoming. Had to wash the boat before the rain struck.

- - - Updated - - -

18657F95-874D-41E1-ACAF-51A79B44F332.jpg
0B327760-6D71-4E14-8C5C-B483F18E5D83.jpg

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pipe for a sprinkler system for the yard is my guess. The valve above the ball valve is to drain the pipe so it doesn't freeze in the winter. Most people run 2 meters so you don't pay extra $ on your sewer bill.

Last edited:

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pipe for a sprinkler system for the yard is my guess. The valve above the ball valve is to drain the pipe so it doesn't freeze in the winter. Most people run 2 meters so you don't pay extra $ on your sewer bill.

I would agree lawn sprinkler line with an interior drain

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gas meter is not buried in mulch. Until recently, the pipe has been dry/the pvc cap held. Now I have a steady stream of water. As far as getting picture from the inside, the ceiling is sheet rocked.

after seeing the pics, this is quite quizzical

- - - Updated - - -

is the round black thing the sprinkler actuator valve?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69