Plumbing question

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
36DEAC4C-5E80-41F3-91BC-7EF52D400EE9.jpg

When we bought the house, the inspector suggested we cap this pipe. Never had water coming out of it until recently. There is no sump in the house but this pipe seems to be tied to the main water line, ie it shuts off or changes flow when I nudge the two shut off valves. What the hell do I do?

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
At the risk of sounding simplistic, do you have to do anything? If it's been fine for the past several years, what needs to be done?

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is your gas meter half buried in mulch? Keep that vent clear under that regulator or youll have problems

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gas meter is not buried in mulch. Until recently, the pipe has been dry/the pvc cap held. Now I have a steady stream of water. As far as getting picture from the inside, the ceiling is sheet rocked.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you tried tasting the water? Maybe you did something karmic, and Busch Light is coming out?

Sell the place for a cool three-quarter mill.. Use the proceeds to take your Buddy Jaykay fishing for 'buts with Huffranger.

(raises arm) Next question..

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is the water hot or cold? I’m guessing there might be an in-line valve that started to let some by. Some guys plumb a hot water line to wash vehicles. Weird they just didn’t put a regular hose valve on the outside.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is it possible it's attached to a pressure relief valve somewhere in your house? You mentioned it had water coming out of it when you played with a couple of valves, otherwise I am at a loss for what the heck it's for. Sure doesn't look anything like a sump discharge, so I'm guessing it's a pressure relief valve, perhaps on your water heater.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
13055356_10154064838378376_4877996299135528532_n.jpg

When we bought the house, the inspector suggested we cap this pipe. Never had water coming out of it until recently. There is no sump in the house but this pipe seems to be tied to the main water line, ie it shuts off or changes flow when I nudge the two shut off valves. What the hell do I do?

changes flow? it flows?

what kind of cap/connection is that on the end?

had you not said that about shutoff valves affecting it I might have guessed condensate from AC

- - - Updated - - -

your ceilings are finished in the utility room in the basement?

suck

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That's a tough one to diagnose without knowing where the pipe originates from. Is the ceiling in your furnace room sheetrocked? Maybe you could find that pipe in your furnace room if it's not.

I'm not so sure I'd want the pipe capped. You have water flowing out of it now at a random time. What if you cap it, the water flows in the winter and fills the pipe, then the pipe bursts.... next thing you know you're replacing sheetrock on your ceiling somewhere in your basement.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's a tough one to diagnose without knowing where the pipe originates from. Is the ceiling in your furnace room sheetrocked? Maybe you could find that pipe in your furnace room if it's not.

I'm not so sure I'd want the pipe capped. You have water flowing out of it now at a random time. What if you cap it, the water flows in the winter and fills the pipe, then the pipe bursts.... next thing you know you're replacing sheetrock on your ceiling somewhere in your basement.
And after that there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up. I've seen it a hundred times

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
In reality, I need two people for this operation. The utility room is open but even my small hands can’t figure out where that pipe leads to. Freezing during the winter is what I’m worried about as well.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75