aluminum boats?

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been seeing all the posts on glass boats on here, all very nice boats but way to fancy if you ask me.
my question is on aluminum windshield boats. I am getting rid of my 20 foot alaskan tiller and looking at 18 to 20 foot windshield boat. any differance in hulls between the alumicraft, lund or crestliner? has anybody ever checked out the kingfisher line of boats? looking on line the kingfisher suits my needs in a fishing boat

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lund boats cost as much many glass boats so I would step up to glass if you are looking in that price range.

I would rank Alumna craft as number two on that list. They have really improved their hull design in the last decades.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unless you're looking for the advantages that aluminum provides. Such as ability to skid up on a gravel shoreline without grimacing so bad.

I am not familiar with Kingfisher boats, but if I buy aluminum again...I'll stay with Lund as their layouts are fine by me. Most likely either a Crossover or Impact. The Impact would be my choice if I wanted a 20 ft boat. The Crossover is pretty similar to my current Fisherman, which I've always liked. But the biggest you can get in that is an 1875 as far as I know.

Sounds like they have finally gone away from using wood in the transoms, so ignore the naysayers about rotting transoms. And if you go aluminum, I really prefer roller trailers compared to bunks. It's not often, but I've heard of instances where rivets have come loose from power loading on bunks. For the life of me, I don't know how that exactly happens, but my Lund sitting on a roller loads very nicely and is as dry when I take it out of the water as when I put it in the water.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think if you want some input on Kingfishers, maybe look at a forum for Columbia River fishing or something like that. They are a lot more popular out west. Apparently there is a dealer in Delano, MN too.

They look like a very tough boat, very similar to a Hewescraft.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
The problem with those Kingfisher style of boats is that if you need to sell it, good luck getting rid of it in ND. I've always kind of been a Lund guy, but to be honest if i was buying right now i would look very hard at Alumacraft. I like that they are independently owned so you can order with any engine combo you want.

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
I currently own a Lund impact 1875 and really like the layout/storage in the boat. Ride is fine, but glass is better. I bought my Lund used and it came with a roller trailer, I have learned to like it and prefer that on a bigger aluminum boat-I came from a boat with a bunk trailer. I really like the looks of the Alumacraft t-pro 195 and the impact 2025 but for the price I would buy fiberglass every time. Make sure you ride in a Crestliner in some wind before you buy one. If you want a ride in my impact let me know.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The problem with those Kingfisher style of boats is that if you need to sell it, good luck getting rid of it in ND. I've always kind of been a Lund guy, but to be honest if i was buying right now i would look very hard at Alumacraft. I like that they are independently owned so you can order with any engine combo you want.

you realize that Alumacraft was recently acquired by BRP? Although by the sounds of it they don’t intend to sole source Evinrudes, Yamaha has already pulled the plug and sounds like Merc will be doing the same for suppling them engines

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
^I didnt know that, looks like it just recently happened. Would be a major bummer if you could no longer get Yamaha or Suzuki on the Alumacrafts.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
By BRP? Is that the company that makes can Ams, etc? Rotax engine BRP company?

- - - Updated - - -

Wonder why the type of trailer would have anything to do,with popping rivets? My old Lund is on a bunk and is 18 years old with tens of thousands of miles on it, some really rough roads included, and never popped a rivet yet, anyway.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i was in your spot a couple months ago... went online and built several in 18-20' and was amazed how much they'd gone up since i last shopped... i got into a 18' nitro for about the average cost of the aluminum's i'd priced...

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member

I had Lund fisherman and Lund pro sport and now have alumacraft trophy and it's ride and performance puts Lund to shame : I love it and my next boat will be another trophy

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^I didnt know that, looks like it just recently happened. Would be a major bummer if you could no longer get Yamaha or Suzuki on the Alumacrafts.
I rather get a Honda or Suzuki on a boat rather than a Yamaha or Mercury anyday. I could see BRP keeping Suzuki around since they partnered on a evinrude/Johnson branded 4 strokes before.

- - - Updated - - -

i was in your spot a couple months ago... went online and built several in 18-20' and was amazed how much they'd gone up since i last shopped... i got into a 18' nitro for about the average cost of the aluminum's i'd priced...

Does the nitro 18 ride better than any Lund or Alumnacraft boat you have been in? I’d suspect even the low end fiberglass ride better than top end aluminum boats.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a glass guy but run a big pro v allot. You will like the aluminum as long as its long enough..same goes for fiberglass.
Around here the wind blows allot, that extra two-three feet is worth more than anything you can bolt on a boat that's for sure.

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
I had Lund fisherman and Lund pro sport and now have alumacraft trophy and it's ride and performance puts Lund to shame : I love it and my next boat will be another trophy

Smart on your part. Can't beat the boat control of a glass boat. I enjoy fishing in the wind where the alum. boats have no control and leave.#$%^&>

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.walleyecentral.com/classified/adviewer/208394

I have no connection to this boat whatsoever but of the 1st 25 or so @ the top of the Walleye Central classifieds I thought it was the top of the heap in value for $$. $36K for a boat that appears to be water-ready w/under 100hrs.

Not sure what you're budget is or if you're set on new vs. used but it's a "buyer's market" from now until March or so.

I think I'd have to move somewhere that a person needed a jet-drive before I'd go back to an AL hull.

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
By BRP? Is that the company that makes can Ams, etc? Rotax engine BRP company?

- - - Updated - - -

Wonder why the type of trailer would have anything to do,with popping rivets? My old Lund is on a bunk and is 18 years old with tens of thousands of miles on it, some really rough roads included, and never popped a rivet yet, anyway.

my previous boats was a 2001 pro v 1900 on a bunk trailer. Years of loading off approaches and not the best ramps on devils lake back in the 2000’s had an impact on my rivots. The bunks actually smoothed down the heads on the hull rivots. Replaced the entire floor and all rivots. I still wish I had that boat.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does the nitro 18 ride better than any Lund or Alumnacraft boat you have been in? I’d suspect even the low end fiberglass ride better than top end aluminum boats.[/QUOTE]

ya it does... i had a 18' lund and crestliner, and this is much smoother... the bow stays down now and cuts through the waves instead of bouncing over them... i didn't buy it for speed as it has a 150 on it and will top out about 42... i fish 2 fun tournaments every year, and neither for money... if i need to get somewhere earlier i leave earlier...

where it really shines for me is the fishing... i drifted sideways for hours in 2 footers and winds from 10 to 15 at van hook yesterday... threw out a 48" drift sock when the wind was the strongest and stayed between .6 and .8 mph all day... i also pulled into the same waves and wind a couple times and ran .6 to 1.5 with the 60" 112 terrova up to a max of 5.5 out of 10 on the i pilot, and the shaft never came out of the water... i couldn't have done that with either of my aluminum boats...

a 21 would sure have been nice, but i'm trying to turn 80k into a new glass boat and a used sno bear...

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
been looking at lund and alumacraft, 19 foot, not looking for a crossover boat.
sdmf that does look like a decent price but am pretty sure I am sticking aluminum
found the kingfisher boats searching online would like to see a 1825 falcon in person.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75