Any salmon information

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do Salmon do ok in a livewell when it's hot out ? Just wondering incase I catch one , My dad claimed rainbow trout had to be bled out and thrown on ice so that's all I know.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do Salmon do ok in a livewell when it's hot out ? Just wondering incase I catch one , My dad claimed rainbow trout had to be bled out and thrown on ice so that's all I know.

We don’t bleed them but they get cracked over the head and go into a cooler of ice

we crack them on the head to get the hook out. They can move and turn so fast they can wreck your day if they thrash that hook into your hand.

Last edited:

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you elaborate on your post some? In all seriousness, I'm uneducated. I'd like to hear what people think is currently "wrong"? What has happened?

it's harder to catch a walleye on Sak right now so f*** the gnf...

They tried stocking the lake in differnt places wich may have changed the fishing a little. I am not criticizing the fisherie at all. I don't spend much time Salmon fishing but try a little each year and manage some success. The biggest anomaly I've noticed in the reports the last couple years is the younger fish that have been cought during the shallow bite. I seen to remember reports of 1- 2 ye old fish being cought spawning wich is odd. The only tagged fish I've seen my son cought a couple years ago it was very long but extra skinny. it weighed 7# at 36". The gnf report said it was 7yrs old. I believe the normal spawning age is 4. All I can say is the the opportunity in this state is way more than I have time for. Retirement needs to come sooner!

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am basing my opinion on the salmon fisheries of Fort Peck and Oahe. They generally have better salmon fishing for numbers and size then Sak. Yes Fort Peck has more cold water habitat but I don't believe lake Oahe does. Forage should not be a problem. Back in the early 80s the salmon would get in the high 20s for weight on SaK. I personally would like a salmon fishery that I could catch my limit on occasion of 10lb salmon while downrigger fishing in late July and through August. I feel the salmon fishery on Sak has been spinning its wheels. Sak has had high water and good forage for 4 years now.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the prime 80s if you threw back big walleyes you would have fished long and hard to catch a limit of 15-16 inchers . Then a drought and smelt loss and it's taken a long time to rebound.

Last edited:

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
I am basing my opinion on the salmon fisheries of Fort Peck and Oahe. They generally have better salmon fishing for numbers and size then Sak. Yes Fort Peck has more cold water habitat but I don't believe lake Oahe does. Forage should not be a problem. Back in the early 80s the salmon would get in the high 20s for weight on SaK. I personally would like a salmon fishery that I could catch my limit on occasion of 10lb salmon while downrigger fishing in late July and through August. I feel the salmon fishery on Sak has been spinning its wheels. Sak has had high water and good forage for 4 years now.

Apparently OHe has a lot mote deep cold water than Sak. Surprised me too, but Sak isn’t even close. Peck way ahead, too. Lots of lake trout habitat too, and their salmon are big.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is my understanding the salmon in oahe and peck are more dependent on cisco than smelt, which is opposite of what sak has too offer. This possibly leads to faster growth rates.... our fisheries guys do a very good job with the conditions sak gives them to work with. I already got shot down on my lake trout idea..... so maybe let 30k rainbows go around the dam and see if thatll supplement the daily basket. Russ, put in an order for next year. #hugesakakawearainbowsinfivetotenyears.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is my understanding the salmon in oahe and peck are more dependent on cisco than smelt, which is opposite of what sak has too offer. This possibly leads to faster growth rates.... our fisheries guys do a very good job with the conditions sak gives them to work with. I already got shot down on my lake trout idea..... so maybe let 30k rainbows go around the dam and see if thatll supplement the daily basket. Russ, put in an order for next year. #hugesakakawearainbowsinfivetotenyears.

the fisheries guy here told me the salmon were so down here because the lack of smelt. we have not even went out and tried in the spring the last few years it has been so bad. they are going to try atlantic salmon as they are less temp dependent so they should be up and down the lake more.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member

Highly recommend bleeding out regardless of ice or well, not such a mess when cleaning.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75