Any salmon information

Whitetail56

Hi new to this site coming up this weekend salmon fishing just curious how it has been thanks for any info

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Nothing very recent in the fishing reports on any local websites I can find. I tried the Great Planers Trout and Salmon Club website and maybe I’m not working it properly, but I couldnt find anything recent there either. I’m not much of a computer whiz, though.
HOWEVER, I see the Great Planers derby is this weekend!? I thought it was usually the third weekend, the one before Labor Day. I was just going to haul out my Salmon Stuff and fish the week before the derby and get the kinks out, but too late now.
With no info on Salmon, I assume it’s been fairly mediocre, but maybe some knowlegable person can chime in.

NJL

Founding Member
Founding Member
i mean, there is a salmon report on the front of NDA; with comments as recent as yesterday. Seems like white/green/chart flashers & squid/needlefish down 75-105' is where most have been catching.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Not many reports though missed that one.
Could phone Scott’s in Pick City. Salmon should be appearing pretty well by now for the next month or so. The usual flashers and colors orherring should be a good place to start, and from 75 thru 100 feet. Also ask in The Dam Bar and on channel 16 VHF. Salmon fishers are usually pretty helpful. I sometimes stack acrankbait or even a small spoon above a flasher, especially when they have a winner take all skipper contest during the derby. Ask anyone during the derby weigh in and you’ll get lots of info. Often some of the regulars with full freezers are giving away some of their catch.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Usually around Labor Day weekend guys start getting them long lining crankbaits.

Thanks, I have downriggers that I have never used but I'm tied up for the next two weeks . I hope the deep bite sticks around for a while. Summer is going fast.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
You can sort of long line with downriggers, too. Don’t necessarily have to go really deep. In fact, from 30-50 or 60 feet off Govt andmScoria bay can be productive well into the first of Oct when the pheasants and waterfowl are getting tuned up.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can sort of long line with downriggers, too. Don’t necessarily have to go really deep. In fact, from 30-50 or 60 feet off Govt andmScoria bay can be productive well into the first of Oct when the pheasants and waterfowl are getting tuned up.

That's good to see, Due to unseen circumstances my boating season is just getting underway.

Hillbilly22

I am new to the salmon fishing on sakakawea. Just was wondering what the best length between flasher and hoochie would be?

eliminator

Honored Member
Just an updated salmon report: Great Plains Trout and Salmon club had their annual derby yesterday on Lake Sakakawea. I fished the derby and did very poorly---had reasonable success on friday but zero for us on saturday.

There were 49 teams in the derby, 20 of the teams had zero fish. There were a total of 56 fish caught with biggest under 8 lbs. The total winning weight was I believe 20.75 lbs for 4 fish. I heard that this was the lowest winning weight they have had. Don't know if that is true or not but not much caught all day long. There have been better days out there but it has been real inconsistent so far for me.
For supposedly having record numbers of smelt in the system something doesn't add up with small fish. They seem to be getting smaller each year overall. I am still hoping that the best fishing is yet to come but really don't want much to do with them when they get close to dying. Right now they are in good shape, nice and silver and nice color to the meat. Most fish are coming deep and on a lot of different colors and herring so I don't see any consistent pattern at all.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as length of leaders used: if you talk to 10 salmon fishermen and women you will probably get 10 different answers to that and length behind the ball. All you can do is try different lengths and see if you can get something that works on that particular day. Every day can be different. Speed can also vary from day to day.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
We fished the tourney as well and finished with 2 which woulda put us around 11th. Both came 10 minutes apart at 3pm. Very long morning, but worth dragging up a 7lber from 100ft down. Ill echo what eliminator said. From what ive gathered success has been very inconsistant this year. Ive heard late july was better than it is now. No real patterns of preferences this year and what works one day wont the next. Thats kind of how salmon operate i guess, finicky bastards....... im starting to think they need to bring in some genes from fish across the nation as i too feel like the fish are getting smaller and evolving..... if the big hungry fish come down earlier and become more succeptable to angling then the genes for bigger fish may be getting wiped out over the years.....

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to love salmon fishing but I haven't for a couple years. It is a darn shame what has happened. The game and fish are basically wasting thousands of dollars right now. Something has to change. What they are doing right now definitely is not working.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think we have one of best fisheries divisions in the nation. Im sure they are aware of the size decrease and seemingly inconsistant catch rates as of late. Im a fairly newcomer to the salmon game so I have faith the guys at the gnf will get a handle on things and bring opportunity moving forward. As a new comer I feel there could be a potentially large movement towards salmon fishing if the salmon population can be maintainted/ catch rate increased. Alot of gen-x/ millenials getting into it now so if things improve moving forward it could be a big thing in nd. Im no biologist but I get hundreds of thoughts as i watch the bent rods waiting for one to pop. Most are probably retarded in one capacity or another but maybe one has legs....... what if they introduced new genes. Could other salmonoids be stocked to supplement catch rates without damaging the population( other salmon species or lake/rainbow/brown/cutthroat. Would more stocking sites benefit catch rates or hinder it? I believe they are doing a study now with chips implanted in certain salmon so hopefully they get the data they need and will share their findings with the public.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
I think we have one of best fisheries divisions in the nation. Im sure they are aware of the size decrease and seemingly inconsistant catch rates as of late. Im a fairly newcomer to the salmon game so I have faith the guys at the gnf will get a handle on things and bring opportunity moving forward. As a new comer I feel there could be a potentially large movement towards salmon fishing if the salmon population can be maintainted/ catch rate increased. Alot of gen-x/ millenials getting into it now so if things improve moving forward it could be a big thing in nd. Im no biologist but I get hundreds of thoughts as i watch the bent rods waiting for one to pop. Most are probably retarded in one capacity or another but maybe one has legs....... what if they introduced new genes. Could other salmonoids be stocked to supplement catch rates without damaging the population( other salmon species or lake/rainbow/brown/cutthroat. Would more stocking sites benefit catch rates or hinder it? I believe they are doing a study now with chips implanted in certain salmon so hopefully they get the data they need and will share their findings with the public.

Good post. Wasn’t there something someplace about SD trying some new salmon in Whitlock Bay and some other areas? Atlantic salmon or something?

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure if we have the best fisheries divisions in the nation. We have had salmon in Sak for 35 to 40 years. So you would think they have the data they need to figure out why they are not getting the return for their buck anymore.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure if we have the best fisheries divisions in the nation. We have had salmon in Sak for 35 to 40 years. So you would think they have the data they need to figure out why they are not getting the return for their buck anymore.

I don't think sak is "ideal" salmon habitat. suitable yes, ideal no. so to grade our fishery division on one species is a touch narrow minded in my opinion. I think they do a helluva job .

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to love salmon fishing but I haven't for a couple years. It is a darn shame what has happened. The game and fish are basically wasting thousands of dollars right now. Something has to change. What they are doing right now definitely is not working.
Can you elaborate on your post some? In all seriousness, I'm uneducated. I'd like to hear what people think is currently "wrong"? What has happened?

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sitka AK was hot this last weekend! 12685.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105