Deer Licenses

Deer license changes?

• The system is fine, No change is needed

Votes: 142 74.7%
  • 1 lottery tag that can be used in any season (bow, rifle-unit specific or muzzleloader - statewide)

Votes: 26 13.7%
  • Statewide archery OR "rifle tag" be used in bow or rifle (unit/sex specific) OR sep. muzzleloader

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Limited bow only tag for statewide and 1 lottery tag that can be used in any season

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Previously suggested1 license/tag system

Votes: 6 3.2%

• Total voters

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not so bad today when one considers:

My dad as a young man in the 30s, There were no tags and there were no tags for years plus no deer, just a bunch of rabbits and some lever action Winchester like a 22 HP, 25-20 (shot the Jordan buck), maybe 220 swift, 30-06 from the VFW or Legion and then those bunch of 30-30. But no tags.

My younger days in the 50-60s. Just walk into a store and get your tag Friday morning and go hunting. However there were few deer but in time one could get a deer, just maybe not what one wanted and the enjoyment of no other hunters out there. And I had a 264 Model 70 with all its speed.

Today one can send a email to game and fish and get a deer license. Only thing is the weapon of choice for that but if you work at it one can even come up with the size the deer you want, now and then.
And if you get a rifle tag one can buy one of them there worthless 223 AR and shoot your deer in the head while it is running in the sunflower field at 700 yards. Or so they say. db

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not so bad today when one considers:

My dad as a young man in the 30s, There were no tags and there were no tags for years plus no deer, just a bunch of rabbits and some lever action Winchester like a 22 HP, 25-20 (shot the Jordan buck), maybe 220 swift, 30-06 from the VFW or Legion and then those bunch of 30-30. But no tags.

My younger days in the 50-60s. Just walk into a store and get your tag Friday morning and go hunting. However there were few deer but in time one could get a deer, just maybe not what one wanted and the enjoyment of no other hunters out there. And I had a 264 Model 70 with all its speed.

Today one can send a email to game and fish and get a deer license. Only thing is the weapon of choice for that but if you work at it one can even come up with the size the deer you want, now and then.
And if you get a rifle tag one can buy one of them there worthless 223 AR and shoot your deer in the head while it is running in the sunflower field at 700 yards. Or so they say. db

I’d like to meet your friend who can make 700 yard running headshots with his AR. Sounds like a real operator.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
well the last post i had read on this thread was page 3. started reading and realized i had 7 pages to go. color me surprised. will have to catch up on the weekend i guess.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
So.... the adults went without a hamburger ..... :;:stirthepot:;:sorry

Just for clarification, right now, I don't feel any changes are necessary. We stressed that changes shouldn't be made for social reasons which was the case a few years ago.

Habitat was mentioned as key component to getting deer numbers higher. How many years would it take for new shelter belts to get to the point of being helpful? Grass and CRP - a year maybe two. How long after that would it take for deer numbers to rebound enough to get back to 70,000 tags available for the lottery. My point is, that it will take a few years for that to happen.

BUT....

What's going to happen if we get nailed with a bad winter or two or some kind of widespread disease before that happens and deer numbers drop again?

There's your biological reason for changing how tags are handled.

Just to repeat a response I had gotten from the G&F from December 2017:
Do the archery tags being issued today, have any impact on the number of licenses available for rifle tags/gratis tags? It’s possible but probably not a big factor at this point. We use several different methods to determine how many deer tags to issue each year, are the number of deer being harvested by archers making a difference in the overall number of deer on the landscape which would then make a difference in the number of licenses being issued for gun tags? A number of years ago I would say that answer was most definitely a no, but the harvest associated with archery hunting has also increased a fair amount over the last 10 years to where we can no longer say that number is insignificant.

IF number of archery tag purchases remain the same or more people continue to get into bow hunting and the success stays about the same or increases - again their success rate for archery is another discussion - archery tags/success will become a contributing factor.

It's a lot of what if's but it can also explain some of the chats I've had.

Hopefully changes won't be necessary down the road and we can get back to where we need to be and everyone can take part in the opportunities they want to.

Let's not forget.. This thread didn't get to where it is now because Davey and his family couldn't get deer rifle tags, but because Davey's family couldn't get BUCK tags.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let's not forget.. This thread didn't get to where it is now because Davey and his family couldn't get deer rifle tags, but because Davey's family couldn't get BUCK tags.

If you look at the stats provided on the lottery, it's pretty clear that the vast majority of hunters want a buck tag. Since I had the 2016 numbers earlier, here's that piece of info

63,379 applicants applied for buck licenses as their first choice; 19,818 buck licenses were available in the drawing after 12,684 gratis and 485 nonresident licenses were withheld.

I admit I want a buck tag too but I also put doe as a second choice. In the years that I didn't get a tag, I certainly could have applied for a left over doe tag but I didn't and that was my decision and I'm not complaining about it. The reasoning behind that - dad was fortunate to get a doe tag in a couple of those years - it was more important for me to be there with him. Could I have made it work if I had gotten one of those tags - probably, but I decided to let someone else have that opportunity.

Some only want a buck and some don't care, they just want a tag.

There's nothing that anyone can say, do or argue about that will change it.

- - - Updated - - -

In My Opinion - even if the system goes to a 1 tag system (whatever it may end up being), it will not improve anyone's odds of getting their buck tag more often significantly.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well who doesn't want a buck tag? I also want the $300 million in the state lottery but I don't throw a fit when I don't win it. But if it's truly about putting meat on the table instead of a shoulder mount on the wall, then everyone for a one tag system can go kick rocks.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
This feeling of entitlement that you guys so often speak of, It's you guys that want two buck tags not me.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do you get two buck tags in nd?Are archery tags still over the counter for anyone to get one? What are the odds of drawing a muzzle loader and rifle buck and elk and moose and big horn sheep tag in one year? The powerball is rigged I have never won it.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
This feeling of entitlement that you guys so often speak of, It's you guys that want two buck tags not me.
I feel like this is the only appropriate response to Davey at this point.

58967e8c0803320bf17c2fb7.png

You

Founding Member
Founding Member

Huge thread. Usable numbers may be available, but hypothetically speaking, would you take 40,000 bow hunter days off the landscape (10,000 hunters X 4 days bow hunting on average) in order to increase buck rifle tags statewide by sayyyyy 2000?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feel like this is the only appropriate response to Davey at this point.

I'm simply standing up for what I think is right , If that's all you have to offer it further proves my point that I know the mentality of the entitlement crowd.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
kurtr, archery tags are OTC. You're able to harvest two bucks if your rifle tag is also for an antlered variety. You could even do three if you drew a muzzy tag. However, draw odds for muzzy, rifle, and big three all in the same year is probably harder to do then landing a playboy playmate.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
One additional point regarding the resident archery tags - they can be used for any deer - whitetail or mule deer, buck or doe. Unless the deer rifle unit has a restriction on it. There is one unit yet where antlerless mule deer are off limits.

That reminds me, I was asked how many people would actually use their archery tag for a doe.

I have no idea how many would but I have and so has dad.

Not very often though but we have in the past.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm simply standing up for what I think is right , If that's all you have to offer it further proves my point that I know the mentality of the entitlement crowd.
The guy who gets a guaranteed rifle buck every year and wants the same for his family at everyone else’s expense is calling me entitled...haha

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The guy who gets a guaranteed rifle buck every year and wants the same for his family at everyone else’s expense is calling me entitled...haha

Never have I said that I want guaranteed rifle buck tags for my family. Now your making things up.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Lol, you want to talk about entitlement? Your the one that wants to take opportunity from others to better yours. Is there something stopping you from getting a bow tag?

Right now the poll has 106 votes for keeping the system the way it is, 74%. Are you saying the majority are all "entitled"?

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
there is not a doe in the state safe with me and my archery tag save a mule doe in 4A as that is illegal.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes

- - - Updated - - -

All we are doing is getting under each others skin, I'll back away from this topic and let it simmer for a few days .

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74