Deer Licenses

Deer license changes?

• The system is fine, No change is needed

Votes: 142 74.7%
  • 1 lottery tag that can be used in any season (bow, rifle-unit specific or muzzleloader - statewide)

Votes: 26 13.7%
  • Statewide archery OR "rifle tag" be used in bow or rifle (unit/sex specific) OR sep. muzzleloader

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Limited bow only tag for statewide and 1 lottery tag that can be used in any season

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Previously suggested1 license/tag system

Votes: 6 3.2%

• Total voters

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
On the survey I have gotten on bow other than days hunted as I sure do not mark it down I do answer the harvest part correctly.
At the same time I do think about not saying I shot a deer if I had. Yes, I agree it is not to my benefit to tell I have harvested a deer so will see if a survey comes one day after I have shot a deer with the bow. Have found quite a number of bucks but not a shootable one yet this year again. Only deer for the future if they make it.
Maybe I need to focus on mule deer with the bow so I can get some mule deer rifle hunters on my case.

And yes I am tight lip about my hunts as talking will only bring heartaches to me and my bow.

However, not sure how many rifle hunters answer the bow survey correctly after they have shot one with their rifle and put a bow tag on it. I believe it happens more often than one thinks as I have seen it more that once. ( I seen a father showing off a buck his son shot with a rifle, when a person asked his son's age it became a archery kill, then enter into the deer show with the father as one of the judges and he took second for a bow) Most bow tags are sold the end of October or November.

As I stated, as mainly a bow hunter, I am fine with the way it is and that only makes sense to feel that way for a bow hunter. We have very little rules on us compare to rifle, long season and the whole state and that is one reason I gave my rifle up besides it brings a lot more enjoyment than a rifle.

But I also stated, before this is done us bow hunters will be in a lottery and I have stands in two different units so there goes one unit to hunt in and ect. And as I stated earlier I will need to adapt as before when rifle's tags were hard to get, as for some they cannot adapt but need to find a edge for themselves. db

I'd agree with this, and I would be okay with a deadline for buying an archery tag. This would not solve all of the issues, but it would curb it quite a bit.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the survey I have gotten on bow other than days hunted as I sure do not mark it down I do answer the harvest part correctly.
At the same time I do think about not saying I shot a deer if I had. Yes, I agree it is not to my benefit to tell I have harvested a deer so will see if a survey comes one day after I have shot a deer with the bow. Have found quite a number of bucks but not a shootable one yet this year again. Only deer for the future if they make it.
Maybe I need to focus on mule deer with the bow so I can get some mule deer rifle hunters on my case.

And yes I am tight lip about my hunts as talking will only bring heartaches to me and my bow.

However, not sure how many rifle hunters answer the bow survey correctly after they have shot one with their rifle and put a bow tag on it. I believe it happens more often than one thinks as I have seen it more that once. ( I seen a father showing off a buck his son shot with a rifle, when a person asked his son's age it became a archery kill, then enter into the deer show with the father as one of the judges and he took second for a bow) Most bow tags are sold the end of October or November.

As I stated, as mainly a bow hunter, I am fine with the way it is and that only makes sense to feel that way for a bow hunter. We have very little rules on us compare to rifle, long season and the whole state and that is one reason I gave my rifle up besides it brings a lot more enjoyment than a rifle.

But I also stated, before this is done us bow hunters will be in a lottery and I have stands in two different units so there goes one unit to hunt in and ect. And as I stated earlier I will need to adapt as before when rifle's tags were hard to get, as for some they cannot adapt but need to find a edge for themselves. db
I think your def. right about putting bow tags on rifle shot deer. I think it's come to that alright. I also think there is far more poaching now that so many people get shut out for so many years in a row.

- - - Updated - - -

i agree with eye (and i think kdm said it earlier)... until there is mandatory reporting of harvested deer, we will never have a true grasp on the harvest %s. the surveys mailed out have the potential to be very inaccurate for self serving interests of the person being surveyed. its always possible that harvested deer would still go unreported in a mandatory reporting situation. but, if the failure to report meant loss of privileges if you got caught not reporting, then i think you would see a much higher accuracy than simple surveys.
I lived in MN for a dozen years. They have mandatory reporting at certified stations and it's really not an issue. Now that being said, there are far more towns much closer together than here. So when your out west or in the boonies it could be an inconvenience. So using a phone, take pictures and submit to G&F. Simply state the date and the zone with a picture of tag attached to deer. You just cant get anymore easy than that. And to say you don't have access to a phone with camera is a joke in this day and age. I don't know a damn soul that doesn't have one. From 80 year old granny's to 8 year old kids. If your capable of hunting your capable of owning and running a smart phone. And at the very least you'll have someone with you that does. None of the elderly can load a dear themselves without help or special equipment. If you can buy special equipment you can equip yourself with a phone. Just think how much better the G&F could operate knowing the exact number of deer shot in a given year.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When I was young my father made statements about the government and I would tell dad you can not think that way and need to trust our government. they are our friend.
Well I got old and think just like dad so no I do not want to give the government any information as I do not know what the purpose of sending them a picture other that for them to gather information to be used. Picture with no information about names, place, naw no to.
Just like USDA is not the farmers friend with all the information they gather and tell the world about the projected stocks. Just the way it is and I doubt if my thinking will change.

And yes Vollmer if one plans to bow hunt there is no reason not to have a dead line on getting a bow tag. So tough crab for the person that waits tell the last minute and then finds a deer in December and needs a bow tag and then hopefully has or borrowers a bow to harvest with and not his rifle. I can see that deadline having a purpose.
Eyes, I have seen hunting in Minnesota and I would never last there hunting whitetail. Way to many hunters who shoot at anything even a noise in the woods. They sit in your stand and if you bitch they shoot you. db

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with a archery license deadline . And I think it should be before the deer gun lottery . Your either a archery hunter or your not ... I would like to see the number of tags bought around oh say.... the week of gun season . I do think some archery tags get filled with a rifle . Either cuz they have no rifle tag or they something small and don't wanna burn the rifle tag . I think a June 1 deadline for archery would be great

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Id be perfectly fine if they had a deadline for archery tags, i think opening day is a more realistic cutoff date though.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As a bow hunter that date if fine with me. By that date one will know with the new one tag system if one can even apply for a bow tag.
For the most part, tags are not that expense to waste the funds if in the end one does not go bow hunting cause one did not find the right deer or for whatever reason.

Today I will begin the practice with the bow and hopefully by September end I will have my enclosed stand back up and my brassicas are up and growing that were planted last Sunday.
One tag system I would not support however I would not fight it either so if it is I will adapt to it. db

- - - Updated - - -

adapt means if I can still bow hunt state wide I will learn to bow hunt mule deer. db

Last edited:

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
[/COLOR]
That's probably the dumbest statement of the day.

Why do you disagree? I was introduced to hunting by a friends older brother as my family did not hunt. This guy set up hunter's safety for several of us, and actually took us hunting. Seems like a great guy and he is, but in hindsight he gained more deer tags to fill, more birds to shoot, and bodies to push bush. Seemed fair enough at the time, he also coached us in filling out surveys to achieve a desired result, as in many days in field, no deer observed. I have grown up much since then, but pretty sure him and his brothers are still all about themselves and "their turf"....

- - - Updated - - -

i agree with eye (and i think kdm said it earlier)... until there is mandatory reporting of harvested deer, we will never have a true grasp on the harvest %s. the surveys mailed out have the potential to be very inaccurate for self serving interests of the person being surveyed. its always possible that harvested deer would still go unreported in a mandatory reporting situation. but, if the failure to report meant loss of privileges if you got caught not reporting, then i think you would see a much higher accuracy than simple surveys.

with total disregard to the financial ramifications, I would like to see some sort of high tech tag that incorporates where and when tag was filled and CWD checking issues.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I purchased my nonresident bow tag on Monday and received it Wednesday. Two day service, you can't get any better than that.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hell if money is no object 1st tag $ 50.00 2nd tag $ 250.00 Third tag $ 500.00 all non refundable and all would have to be purchased or applied for on the same date. That should keep quite a few guys from doubling up.

The point was that the extra money goes to habitat to help out the deer heard. You better start in reverse with your tag prices and start with rifle being at $500 non-refundable since the harvest rate is so high and then add on the rest. Then you will see your deer numbers sky rocket as many will not pay that much and leave more buck tags for you babies. Since that is what it is all about.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What is expenses to one is cheap to another. Depends how deep the well is.

But $500, 250 and yea you will ilimate a few from even appling and my trips to northern canada for sheds used to cost me about $1000 and now i have gotten that down to maybe $300 as we now tent and no hotel and then no bar bill and gas has become free.
So i guess i am one that will save the 500 or 250 for that 10 day trip.
Deer habitat, with the trees I plant, the plots I plant, the work I do for land owners in order to preserve a piece of their ground for deer. I got my share already into habitat for wildlife.
There is no doubt by the words on this topic that we will easily come to agreement with what we need to do to please all. db

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have been following this from the beginning, and being a non-resident I don't have a "dog in the hunt", but if deer numbers are low in ND then I would think you need to have mandatory deer checks to get an accurate harvest number. Western Nebraska is pretty sparsely populated, not sure how it compares to ND, but fairly similar I would guess so check stations can be made there. I am definitely not saying Nebraska's system or that NE Game and Parks is better than what ND has, but this is what we have. All gun shot deer are checked in at a station and information is taken (hell grocery stores that have a willing person to do it and tell the G and P they will check deer in can). County of harvest, unit of harvest, date of harvest, public or private land, some check stations have Wardens and they age deer for further data and take lymph nodes (diseases I think?). We only have a 9 day gun season not sure how long ND has. Then for all archery, muzzleloader, and antlerless only (January season) tags NE has a Tele-check or online check. Call a number and get an automated system and leave information, or go online and fill it out. I've done both and each one takes maybe 5 minutes and its 24/7 so you can do it whenever you want. Yes, people can lie, or not online/tele-check, but I guess G and P hope for the best and they made it as simple as they can on hunters.

Anyone wanting to travel for an out of state adventure can look at our Private land River Whitetail Antlerless Only tags. $70 plus hunting license gets you two doe. Season is long, we have a lot of doe, and getting permission for harvesting doe usually is not too much of an issue.

Also, I noticed a couple of times it was mentioned that some of you know/feel there has been illegal activity with tag useage or misusage...turn the violators in! The Game and Fish can't do anything if they don't know about it. If "hunters" brag about killing a deer with a gun and put a bow tag on it and nothing happens it only validates them and in turn more likely to do it again.

Sorry so long, I really feel for most of you guys and I now know I take the deer hunting here for granted...

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I like the thought of having to check in your deer. It is definitely more of a pain for hunters and for the G and F but if that is what it takes to get an accurate deer count I am all for it. The only problem that I see is how are you going to make it mandatory? Most will follow the rules but you always have a few bad apples that could drive by after they took off their orange and say they never shot a deer.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I like the thought of having to check in your deer. It is definitely more of a pain for hunters and for the G and F but if that is what it takes to get an accurate deer count I am all for it. The only problem that I see is how are you going to make it mandatory? Most will follow the rules but you always have a few bad apples that could drive by after they took off their orange and say they never shot a deer.

This is the case with any rule/law. Always going to be people who don't follow along, especially the first couple years of a new system. Never going to be a 100% capture rate on check ins, but probably going to be better than the current counting.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have a mandatory online/call-in reporting within 48 hours of harvest for all tags. When you report it, a simple code is generated that you must write on your head and carcass tag. No deer may be processed or mounted by any business without this code. The code also checks back into a computer database to verify info if need be. Anybody in flagrant violation losses deer hunting privileges for 5 years.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have a mandatory online/call-in reporting within 48 hours of harvest for all tags. When you report it, a simple code is generated that you must write on your head and carcass tag. No deer may be processed or mounted by any business without this code. The code also checks back into a computer database to verify info if need be. Anybody in flagrant violation losses deer hunting privileges for 5 years.
this is a great idea. You already have to provide tag to butcher/sausage man. Easy as hell to put a kill number on it too. I think your on to something.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't have a problem with a mandatory report. At least it would give them a significantly better idea as to where deer are taken - especially with archery and muzzleloader.

Loss of hunting privileges for failure to report should be included as well.

I have mentioned this idea a couple of times to the Game and Fish.

IMO - we hunters need to be part of the solution to help manage the deer herd and it would be in our best interest to do so.

This is a response to DB2 - providing a unit to the G&F to where you filled your tag wouldn't create a situation where it gives away your secret spot. None of that information should be available to the general public.

I do recall one pronghorn survey I received - They wanted the location down to the section/township/range - I don't think it would need to be that closely monitored but a rifle unit isn't asking too much.

For those that still say they don't have a computer or phone or abilities to do this either online or via call in - that shouldn't be a factor now that the licensing system is done strictly online. If you were able to apply for a tag, you can report it in using the same methods.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't have a problem with a mandatory report. At least it would give them a significantly better idea as to where deer are taken - especially with archery and muzzleloader.

Loss of hunting privileges for failure to report should be included as well.

I have mentioned this idea a couple of times to the Game and Fish.

IMO - we hunters need to be part of the solution to help manage the deer herd and it would be in our best interest to do so.

This is a response to DB2 - providing a unit to the G&F to where you filled your tag wouldn't create a situation where it gives away your secret spot. None of that information should be available to the general public.

I do recall one pronghorn survey I received - They wanted the location down to the section/township/range - I don't think it would need to be that closely monitored but a rifle unit isn't asking too much.

For those that still say they don't have a computer or phone or abilities to do this either online or via call in - that shouldn't be a factor now that the licensing system is done strictly online. If you were able to apply for a tag, you can report it in using the same methods. ItT
and they’re on this sight punching keys right?lol. It’s actually very much like having to show ID to vote

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In Nebraska meat lockers are supposed to have the hunter show their cancelled permit before accepting deer for processing. Every check in station is given metal tags to place around the base of all antlers (or through the ear of doe) as a sign that the deer has been checked. Taxidermists are supposed to make sure all bucks have a valid metal tag before taking a head in (taxidermists can get in trouble for taking in deer not properly checked). Once taxidermy is complete the metal band can be removed.

People who process their own deer can still avoid a check in and thus harvest illegally....

Like I said, I'm just throwing out what happens here, not saying it is perfect or they way anyone else should do things.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70