Deer Licenses

Deer license changes?

• The system is fine, No change is needed

Votes: 142 74.7%
  • 1 lottery tag that can be used in any season (bow, rifle-unit specific or muzzleloader - statewide)

Votes: 26 13.7%
  • Statewide archery OR "rifle tag" be used in bow or rifle (unit/sex specific) OR sep. muzzleloader

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Limited bow only tag for statewide and 1 lottery tag that can be used in any season

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Previously suggested1 license/tag system

Votes: 6 3.2%

• Total voters

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
I wouldn’t mind some type of the many mandatory check in things suggested above. Though if followed by everyone it would give accurate harvest numbers, but can this number be any more accurate to extrapolate to deer numbers than the many indirect things they are doing now. I’m not convinced the estimate will be any better, or worse. More expensive and PITA for all concerned, but worth it?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well after 179 votes 75% think its fine, so .....there's that

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes it's fine but for some it is not so:

If it comes to past that we must tell game and fish if we harvested, why must we sent a picture of the deer in right away or lose our license for five years as one suggested?

If it is for information only can i not tell game and fish by either phone, letter that I get with tag or text i did harvest one with out sending in a picture or by year end telling them i did not harvest one. If i do not tell them either way then i do not get issue a tag next year. So if you want a tag next year you need to tell them one way or the other but again tell me what the hidden reason is for the picture.

I'm not for any of this but for the sake of those getting what they want tell me why I need to sent a picture right away (and no I do not have a smart phone and maybe no buddies left) and not just say I got one or I did not get one by the above methods with the above penalty for not telling.

There are six of us at work. Five hunt and have weapons. One sees no problem with registering our weapons. I ask him what that will do to help out if all five of us gave our serial numbers of all weapons to law enforcement. Just thought there would be nothing wrong with that and somehow it would cut back of the bad things that people do. ??????
I believe in reading some of the post on here that there are those who not only believe in registration but would push for it as a way to stop crime.

One tag. Well Joe my neighbor has gotten two deer now over two years as he has told you with the new system and as I have not gotten a tag yet over that time as you well know so he/she can not apply again until I get my tag and my two deer. Fair enough???? yes/no? db

- - - Updated - - -

And then those bull elk showed up over the weekend and got rid of one of my 10 year old evergreens. so i done fence some of them in over the weekend, trees that is but next they think they will get my food plots, ah think again you fricking elk. No i will not do anything illegal but those elk are not getting my food plots this year. db

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes it's fine but for some it is not so:

If it comes to past that we must tell game and fish if we harvested, why must we sent a picture of the deer in right away or lose our license for five years as one suggested?

If it is for information only can i not tell game and fish by either phone, letter that I get with tag or text i did harvest one with out sending in a picture or by year end telling them i did not harvest one. If i do not tell them either way then i do not get issue a tag next year. So if you want a tag next year you need to tell them one way or the other but again tell me what the hidden reason is for the picture.

I'm not for any of this but for the sake of those getting what they want tell me why I need to sent a picture right away (and no I do not have a smart phone and maybe no buddies left) and not just say I got one or I did not get one by the above methods with the above penalty for not telling.

There are six of us at work. Five hunt and have weapons. One sees no problem with registering our weapons. I ask him what that will do to help out if all five of us gave our serial numbers of all weapons to law enforcement. Just thought there would be nothing wrong with that and somehow it would cut back of the bad things that people do. ??????
I believe in reading some of the post on here that there are those who not only believe in registration but would push for it as a way to stop crime.

One tag. Well Joe my neighbor has gotten two deer now over two years as he has told you with the new system and as I have not gotten a tag yet over that time as you well know so he/she can not apply again until I get my tag and my two deer. Fair enough???? yes/no? db

- - - Updated - - -

And then those bull elk showed up over the weekend and got rid of one of my 10 year old evergreens. so i done fence some of them in over the weekend, trees that is but next they think they will get my food plots, ah think again you fricking elk. No i will not do anything illegal but those elk are not getting my food plots this year. db

If you have a phone that texts you can send a picture, the picture could be used as a time & date reference and proof of sex and species

registering your guns would do zero to stop crime people commit crimes guns do not

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I assume the text would have time and date if you require it to be sent after the kill as would a picture text. I do not take my phone with me on the hunts as talking on the phone is not a big part of my life and besides there is no reception in the spots I hunt. Yes it is probably back in the vehicle.
Sex and species should be on ones license except them there darn bow hunters. I guess I would trust them to be honest with that if they take the time to sent a text in. Muzzle loaders I am not sure of.
I doubt if someone shoots a buck with a doe tag or a mule deer with a whitetail tag they will sent anything in or say anything. the deer may well be left where shot before anything is sent in. Sometimes I feel we have no ideal just how many laws are broken out there.

I will give all the need to monitor just how many deer we have and how many are harvested to help with the management of the deer herd. that and other factoring such as weather and other things that affect the population. They could use better tools to work with however I have little faith in there abilities.
Being required to sent a picture in, I can see helping with enforcement of laws as one becomes more aware of the need to do this.

But I assume the goal was so game and fish can monitor the harvest kill percentage and those kills between the different kinds of weapon.
As can be seen I struggle with this whole ideal of doing this by requiring pictures.
In order to make it better it seems we look for more rules.

We can not give everyone a participation medal, just as many times I have not gotten one. It will never be fair to everyone's way of thinking. db

Jdubya

Established Member
Sorry to bring this thread up again guys, but after the last 5 years bowhunting in the Badlands (and 5 years of seeing some of the bucks taken out there) maybe have G&F put antler restrictions (like a minimum of 3 or four points on one side) in place to help the trophy quality improve? I know there are some nice bucks out there, I’ve seen a few, but during gun season some folks just shoot anything with antlers because “they’ve waited x number of years for a tag, he was standing in the road ditch, blah, blah...” just an idea.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sorry to bring this thread up again guys, but after the last 5 years bowhunting in the Badlands (and 5 years of seeing some of the bucks taken out there) maybe have G&F put antler restrictions (like a minimum of 3 or four points on one side) in place to help the trophy quality improve? I know there are some nice bucks out there, I’ve seen a few, but during gun season some folks just shoot anything with antlers because “they’ve waited x number of years for a tag, he was standing in the road ditch, blah, blah...” just an idea.

I have no clue the area you hunt but from what I’ve seen the last several years the quality of bucks has gone WAY up from even 10 years ago. People that want to be lazy and shoot the first easy buck can do just that. Get a mile from a road and it all changes.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member

I can't get a big mule deer with my bow because all the gun hunters shoot them before the grow up. If you want to shoot a bigger buck maybe you should change the area you are hunting as the bow tag is state wide.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the G&F should close the season for a few years until we learn to appreciate it more.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't get a big mule deer with my bow because all the gun hunters shoot them before the grow up. If you want to shoot a bigger buck maybe you should change the area you are hunting as the bow tag is state wide.

isnt it hard to shoot the bow out the window?

Jdubya

Established Member
Was talking about the spikes and forkies getting shot during the gun season, I guess you guys can’t read too well...

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
8C0889B2-0D3E-4B88-9B58-A44D523B04C8.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86