Possible charges in squirrel's death

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://bismarcktribune.com/news/lo...5eb4ca83.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

Bismarck man may be charged in connection to squirrel's death
JACK DURA Bismarck Tribune

Police in Bismarck responded around 2:30 p.m. Sunday to a call about a squirrel struck by a dart on the 1300 block of North 20th Street.

Bismarck Police Sgt. Tim Sass said officers responded after the caller described the squirrel "acting weird" when it was running along a fence and then fell to the ground. The caller told police the squirrel had been struck by a large dart. The squirrel died as a result.

Officers spoke with a male neighbor who police said admitted to hitting the squirrel with the dart. The case was referred for review to the city attorney's office for "throwing missiles," according to Sass.

Bismarck's "throwing of missiles" statute reads as follows: "It is unlawful for any person to throw or discharge any stone, snowball or any similar object or other missile, including fireworks, upon, in or at any vehicle, building or upon or at any person."

Sass likened "throwing of missiles" to throwing a snowball that causes property damage.

"It's unlawful to throw rocks or shoes or cinder blocks at other people's stuff," Bismarck assistant city attorney Jason Hammes said. "The point behind (the law) is to keep people from throwing stuff at other people's stuff."

Hammes, who said he hasn't yet seen a report from Sunday's incident, added that animal cruelty charges, if applicable, would go through the Burleigh County State's Attorney's Office.

Sass said the case is under investigation.

Reach Jack Dura at 701-250-8225 or jack.dura@bismarcktribune.com.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
looking at G&F ground squirrels, which I assume they would fall under, is open year round and you don't need a license. So I'm guessing he walks lol. No prison time

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
"It is unlawful for any person to throw or discharge any stone, snowball or any similar object or other missile, including fireworks, upon, in or at any vehicle, building or upon or at any person."

so is a squirrel a vehicle, building or a person?

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm from Central Cass.....could they be referring to a citizen of the beautiful city of Casselton when they say "squirrel"?

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad I live in rural bismarck, because I put a cap(pellet gun) in a ictidomys tridecemlineatus ass the other day.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bet a guy can slay some serious Vag with a “missle throwing” conviction on your record.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
"wicked missile" prison tat may give the wrong impression.....not the "serious vag" previously mentioned I bet....

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe if the guy killed the damn thing with a pellet gun instead of acting like a dueche and throwing a fricking dart at it he wouldn't be in trouble.

dont-be-a-dumbass.jpg

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
looking at G&F ground squirrels, which I assume they would fall under, is open year round and you don't need a license. So I'm guessing he walks lol. No prison time
Ground squirrels are what we generally referred to as Gophers i e flickertails(Richardson's ground squirrel) and 13 stripes. This was a tree squirrel and that takes a license and the season doesn't open until the 9th. Now that all said I agree like was already pointed out the missile law does not seem to cover this in any way shape or form.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Meanwhile, tune in tomorrow as the police will chase down the elderly lady for crossing the street illegally while riding on her motorized scooter. It violates two ordinances, so therefore, she must be cited!

Better yet, what happens to the squirrel if it is stealing seeds from the bird feeder? Put that in your pipe and smoke on it awhile...

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
I throw a half ounce of number nine lead shot missles (omigod, LEAD) at gophers in my back yard when nobody is around, kids at school, neighbors working, etc. But we are just out of town in the county, so maybe I won’t have to worry about joining that guy in his cell. No squirrel lovers around here, though.
Maybe the guy needed a “don’t do that any more” talk, but I wonder what this HUGE legal case is costing the taxpayers in money and law enforcements time?
I love the funny comments on this thread!

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe he wanted a challenge and chose a more primitive weapon and I believe shooting a pellet gun in city limits might be illegal
Maybe if the guy killed the damn thing with a pellet gun instead of acting like a dueche and throwing a fricking dart at it he wouldn't be in trouble.

dont-be-a-dumbass.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69