Favorite late season hunting pant

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I like jeans if there is no snow on the ground. If snow is on the ground it doesn't matter what I wear as long as it's wool. Quiet and warm, comfortable to walk in, and so loose fitting that I actually feel skinny. At 260+ I've never been classified as skinny.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Come on man.... you flung the shit first. Calling me a millenial as a form of insult... which im not. Then implying my intellect is inferior to yours because cotton is a “bad choice” when wet....... easily could have disagreed and layed out your reason for disagreeing without the snide comments. You took the low road. Very easily could have ignored my opnion altogether. Ill counter-punch every time. I know you are upset you can’t powder gst balls anymore. Shave your beard you look like a pedo. You want to continue or shake hands and walk away?

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trip, you are spot on when you talk about appearance. I have a relative that you would score big points with rolling up more traditionally dressed (or at least that’s what I call it). Depends where you are on the map, to some people it matters, others it doesn’t. What’s the worst thing that could happen, they let you on cause they feel bad for ya? #win

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Carhart overalls might be the single most uncomfortable piece of clothing I can remember from hunting as a kid. If a farmer chides me for wearing quality gear, I was probably never getting on that land anyway. Especially after I say I’m from Bismarck.

also, I wear a pair of kuiu attack pants for real warm temps. Couple of zippers placed strategically to let the steam room breathe.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
So what fly-carpin? You got “got” and the only thing left to do is leave a bad rep calling me a “duschbag millenial”? I thought we established im not a millenial. Normally, I dont give bad reps, but i made an exception for your creepy fat ass. Now go get in your van filled with candy you creepy looking turd.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Snide Comments is on my family crest. I implied nothing. How you inferred my light hearted ribbing is on you. Never once did I mention your intellect. Also let the record show I have always been a firm opposer of gst as well as cotton. So sure. I’ll take the high road. Cotton in the badlands is a bad and potentially dangerous choice late season. You work up a sweat in carhartts, you stay wet. And cold. A bad combo in the late season. And don’t hate the beard. It keeps me warm in winter and filters the bugs out of my beer on the river in the summer

And I sign my reps, good or bad. Wasn’t me fella

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
So now you want to take the high road? Next time maybe try that from the start. Beard is still shitty. Maybe a mustache is your thing.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like a guy needs to grab some oversize Carharts to fit over their performance gear. Next, some sort of cattle hat. Also, an old pickup with a few whiskey dents probably wouldn't hurt. ***Posted Land Access Starter Kit***

P.S. I just use heavy brush pants with a good base layer(guessing this is worse than Carharts, but better than fancy city boy gear).

- - - Updated - - -

6’3”, 235, 35x34. You’re right. I’m morbidly obese.

Fly Carpin, pffft, more like Fly Cartman.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your idea of hunting is going around and trying to get permission from ranchers u probably don't need Sitka

- - - Updated - - -

The padded knee's in the Timberline saved my hunting partner from tearing his knee apart out Elk hunting last Oct. They're a comfortable pant, but try them on before you buy. They aren't "over-sized" on the waste lines.

Expand please. Lol

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like a guy needs to grab some oversize Carharts to fit over their performance gear. Next, some sort of cattle hat. Also, an old pickup with a few whiskey dents probably wouldn't hurt. ***Posted Land Access Starter Kit***

P.S. I just use heavy brush pants with a good base layer(guessing this is worse than Carharts, but better than fancy city boy gear).

- - - Updated - - -

6’3”, 235, 35x34. You’re right. I’m morbidly obese.

Fly Carpin, pffft, more like Fly Cartman.
Damn it you crack me up

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like poly pro's under whatever quiet outer layer matches the environment. I mostly use desert ABU's for late season stuff, but I should probably find some white camo stuff as there is usually snow on the ground late season. If I'm going to walk in and then sit, I pack in a wool blanket to sit on and cover up with. Those hand me down military wool blankets are AWESOME!! They keep you warm and if you wreck one, it won't break the bank. That slate grey color blends in surprisingly well with most environments. I use one for late season goose hunting and it definitely keeps a guy warm. It really comes down to personal preference and the size of your wallet. Expensive stuff will keep you warm and so will cheap stuff, but you won't look as good. I figure the critters don't care one way or the other what you're wearing. Good Luck!!

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your idea of hunting is going around and trying to get permission from ranchers u probably don't need Sitka

- - - Updated - - -

Expand please. Lol
isnt that part of hunting?... apparently my point was lost or went out the window. Dress in drag for all I give a shit. Does anyone “need” sitka gear? I can afford it. I dont need it.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I normally wear my goretex upland pants when hunting late season. I stay warm because I am constantly moving. I did pick up a pair of Sitka pants this summer and I have got to say they are probably the best fitting most comfortable pants I have worn. I used to be the guy that thought their gear was overpriced and not worth it , but I am really eating my words now. Sitka is worth every penny granted I have got mine on sale. Does a guy need it to hunt, hell no but I can tell you I am more comfortable when wearing it in tough conditions.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
isnt that part of hunting?... apparently my point was lost or went out the window. Dress in drag for all I give a shit. Does anyone “need” sitka gear? I can afford it. I dont need it.

when driving or a big base camp I would say probably not. But going back in some miles and having only one pair of pants for 5 or so days then yes need becomes more of a thing. After being on the last two back country camping trips(didn’t kill an elk haha) the value of the high end technical clothing has proved its worth. Not only in weight savings but keeping me comfortable and on the mountain from 6 degrees to 70 and snow to wind driven rain. My biggest deer I have ever shot was while wearing carharts and walking 150 yards from pick up and sitting on edge of field but if wet or cold it was an 8 minute walk to the rig not a date with hypothermia

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair I am such a Sitka fan boi I pretty much wear it all the time unless I am pouring concrete or on a asphalt job. There work and casuall line is super comfy

rapala_09

Honored Member
when driving or a big base camp I would say probably not. But going back in some miles and having only one pair of pants for 5 or so days then yes need becomes more of a thing. After being on the last two back country camping trips(didn’t kill an elk haha) the value of the high end technical clothing has proved its worth. Not only in weight savings but keeping me comfortable and on the mountain from 6 degrees to 70 and snow to wind driven rain. My biggest deer I have ever shot was while wearing carharts and walking 150 yards from pick up and sitting on edge of field but if wet or cold it was an 8 minute walk to the rig not a date with hypothermia

This right here is the difference...... when you're in the back country 15+ miles from the wood burning stove, it makes a difference. I never thought I'd spend $400+ on boots either. But once you drink the kenetrek Kool-aid and really spend some time in the woods, the extra $200 vs some of the other boots out there just seems worth it. Clothing is the same way.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go with your favorite technical hunting pant and adjust the amount of Merino wool undies.

A waterproof butt and knees, combined with gaiters, and you are comfortable in any condition except sitting still in bitter cold.

I’ve had Outdoor Research and Kennetrek gaiters and prefer OR by a good margin.

It is unreal how warm and “bulletproof” you feel from the knees down with good boots and good gaiters.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76