Favorite late season hunting pant

1850reata

Founding Member
Founding Member
Regular season sitka grinder pants are my favorite. Feels like your are hunting in pajama pants theyre so comfortable. Late season I'm a merino fan.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They dont make Depends in camo but they will help keep your ass warm until you use them then its a shitty deal.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go with your favorite technical hunting pant and adjust the amount of Merino wool undies.

A waterproof butt and knees, combined with gaiters, and you are comfirtable in any condition except sitting still in bitter cold.

I’ve had Outdoor Research and Kennetrek gaiters and prefer OR by a good margin.

It is unreal how warm and “bulletproof” you feel from the knees down with good boots and good gaiters.

In other words buy a "mid-season" variety of good technical pant, with suspenders IMO, butt and knee wetness protection, then adjust to the cold with undies. No need for a insulated variety. Late season can mean 50 degrees, or single digits. Being "forced" to wear insulated is maddening.

And by "bulletproof" with the gaiters I mean instead of picking my way through snow, tangles, branches, thorns like I used to with crappy clothes, I now just walk right through them - keeping my head/eyes up and watchful.

Gaiters are truly "energy savers" in more ways than one. Thermally and energetically.

jesse-pinkman-science-640x652-copy.jpg

Nmariner

Established Member
First Lite is amazing. Anyone else having trouble finding First Lite? I was looking for some Briefs as mine are worn out and the only place I could find them was off of First Lite's website. Used to buy off of Amazon.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Late last winter I saw big sales on FirstLite at Scheels. Someone from Scheels mentioned that FirstLite was going another route - direct sales type thing - no Scheels "middlemen".

Maybe they smelled Scheels was going to directly compete with them like Scheels does with everybody who has a successful product. Like Cabela's does. It would be hard to have a great product selling at Scheels - then have Scheels or Cabela's come out with a carbon copy of their own brand.

I'm not saying this is what happened - I just wonder about it.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey Trip... you are sounding like a jackass. Just sayin'
thats your opinion. No problem. Id rather be a jackass than a pushover. Read my original post. I simply stated my opinion to the OPs. Question. Never did imply everyone should do what I do. Some of you guys sure are pansys. Or should I say 10 ply? So, if a guy takes a jab at someone how can he expect not to get jabbed back? Its ok if fly-carpin runs around being an internet bully? I didnt walk in looking for guff just stated what I do. But im surely not afraid to give it back when fired on first.
The OPs question regarded the badlands. I guess i didnt realize we were going mountain backcountry 15 miles from base camp in rain and mud and 45 below. I havent been anywhere i road is more than 3 miles away.

- - - Updated - - -

And the millenial thing....im gen-x. you dumb shits realize this country will be run by millenials in 10-15 years right? Maybe instead of worrying who has the fanciest hunting pants and guns you baby boomers can teach some of these kids to be men.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
First Lite is amazing. Anyone else having trouble finding First Lite? I was looking for some Briefs as mine are worn out and the only place I could find them was off of First Lite's website. Used to buy off of Amazon.

they went direct to consumer and first shipment did not pass q.v. so it is all way delayed. I have a few of their pieces but black Ovis and ice breaker and kryptek wool has actually been more durable for me. The new areo wool is supposed to be bad ass though

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
How did our grandparents ever kill anything back in the day without all the fancy high dollar gear we have these days. Baffles me...

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those that have the Timberlines, do you think they are too noisy to stalk in? On the non-rifle tag years, I like trying to stalk with the bow. The Kuiu Talus has sparked my interest also. Looks like it would be a great pant in snow or early morning dew. Thanks for the replies.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
How did our grandparents ever kill anything back in the day without all the fancy high dollar gear we have these days. Baffles me...

and your wool pant wearing grandparents said the same thing about their great great grandparents who wore buckskin

also - if you don't ride a horse to work you are a hypocrite ;:;rofl

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
thats your opinion. No problem. Id rather be a jackass than a pushover. Read my original post. I simply stated my opinion to the OPs. Question. Never did imply everyone should do what I do. Some of you guys sure are pansys. Or should I say 10 ply? So, if a guy takes a jab at someone how can he expect not to get jabbed back? Its ok if fly-carpin runs around being an internet bully? I didnt walk in looking for guff just stated what I do. But im surely not afraid to give it back when fired on first.
The OPs question regarded the badlands. I guess i didnt realize we were going mountain backcountry 15 miles from base camp in rain and mud and 45 below. I havent been anywhere i road is more than 3 miles away.

- - - Updated - - -

And the millenial thing....im gen-x. you dumb shits realize this country will be run by millenials in 10-15 years right? Maybe instead of worrying who has the fanciest hunting pants and guns you baby boomers can teach some of these kids to be men.

For Pete's sake, let it go. Triggered much? It's the internet, move on.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
they went direct to consumer and first shipment did not pass q.v. so it is all way delayed. I have a few of their pieces but black Ovis and ice breaker and kryptek wool has actually been more durable for me. The new areo wool is supposed to be bad ass though

yep - found this from late last year

"First Lite Restructures Distribution Model
Ketchum, ID- First Lite, a brand synonymous with premium gear, design innovation, and active conservation announced its shift towards a direct-to-consumer sales model. Beginning with the 2018 season, First Lite products will be available exclusively at firstlite.com and select third party marketplaces including Amazon.com and others.

"After careful consideration, thorough analysis and a great deal of discussion we've decided to restructure our distribution model to position the company to best serve our customers and distribute our premium product where and how they--the end customer--want," said Kenton Carruth, First Lite Co-CEO. "This move will allow First Lite to continue to innovate new technologies and support our conservation efforts while also directly serving the customer exactly how they want to be served. Ultimately, we are letting our customers dictate the direction of the brand instead of the other way around."

"We understand that this will impact many long-standing partners and we are committed to taking the appropriate steps to help ease the transition for our current dealers," explains Carruth. "We could not be more thankful and appreciative to the retail partners who have supported and believed in us over the past ten years."

Established in 2007, First Lite has grown a direct relationship with consumers since its inception and has seen its business move organically in that direction more and more every year. As the company completes this transition, First Lite will work directly with effected partners on tailor made business solutions, while continuing to focus on its value equation for consumers; the best gear on the market at the best possible price, unparalleled customer service and an industry leading warranty.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

Like mike Eastman said if they had it they would have wore it.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
For Pete's sake, let it go. Triggered much? It's the internet, move on.
Whatever you say mike. Not sure what your definition of triggered is nor do i care. Gets pretty dissapointing when a guy cant even give an opinion or different perspective on something without being blasted by some of the regulars. Seems if a perspective isnt in the majority of the outspoken ones on here then one of the “super duper legendary awesomesauce” members calls that person millenial, stupid, triggered, redneck, not good enough, dumb, idiot. Apparently if you bring a different perspective you arent welcome here. Same website, different name. Ill let you guys get back to your cirlcle session. Where everybody always agrees or else you are stupid. Lol sorry i plugged your internet, but you fairies were getting a tad boring lately.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know you Trip, but I'm not taking anything with me when I log off of this site. If you feel the need to come out swinging on all your posts, so be it. Crack a cold one and breathe in some of this cool, fall air.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never came out swinging mike. Posted once and was gunna leave it alone. Theres no need for guys like fly-carpin making stupid comments like he did. Does it make him feel bigger? Tougher? I dont know. Easy to disagree with someone
tactfully. Guess i dont really see the point in name calling if you disagree with a perspective..... re-read it mike. I didnt come here looking to get degraded because i have an opinion that differs. Im just tired of some of you “cool”
guys degrading people if they dont share opinions/perspectives.... i agree its just the internet and to be honest i could care less what anyone on here thinks.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your idea of hunting is going around and trying to get permission from ranchers u probably don't need Sitka

- - - Updated - - -

Expand please. Lol

Wouldn't you like to know........

PS. Not sure how I ever missed the 2nd version of this statement!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74