9,500,000 public acres landlocked?!

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd forgotten about fritz , Whatever became of him ? Kinda miss you and GST's discussions (In a way) , There was both sides to most of the stories.

I stop in but have been very busy. It's all so predictable. Espringers posts something newsworthy and then certain posters make it about bad landowners. What this issue is about was in the last paragraph of the article.

The report notes, “Even though the Land and Water Conservation Fund is the single most powerful tool for opening landlocked public lands and connecting even more Americans to their best days afield, the program is
set to expire​
on
September 30, 2018
. If this were to occur, conservation groups and public land management agencies would have limited ability to open and expand access to America’s public lands, despite the commitment of many public officials to do just that.”

Crisis....Crisis...Crisis...the Land Water Conservation Slush Fund is going to sunset. Sooo, invite 70+ journalists to a staged event and get the newspapers to write how the LWCF must be funded.

My favorite line is how this won't increase peoples taxes. The money comes from Atlantic Outer Continental Shelf oil lease money. About $5 billion dollars a year into the U.S. General Treasury. They simply want to divert $900 million of that into their coffers. giantsuckingsound

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The LWCF has been used in literally every county in the US from everything to public parks to boat launches. It’s never cost the average citizen a dime and has consistently been of the most popular pieces of legislation ever passed. It’s also never been fully funded. Not surprising to see who calls it a slush fund.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The lwcf is definitely something I don’t mind funding vs the 50 million other things that we are taxed for.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
The LWCF has been used in literally every county in the US from everything to public parks to boat launches.
Yep, have one in my home town. A building burned down on main so they built a cement park with a fake waterfall pumping water 24/7.

Everyone uses the City Park just two blocks away with grass, trees, kids playground and gazebo.

It’s never cost the average citizen a dime and has consistently been of the most popular pieces of legislation ever passed.
Meelosh, do you work in government?

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Meelosh, do you work in government?

As he said, consistently one of the most popular pieces of legislation ever passed. And that statement is quantifiable. Do you have such disdain for LWCF because it has something to do with the promotion and improvement of public lands?

Also, you said, "My favorite line is how this won't increase peoples taxes. The money comes from Atlantic Outer Continental Shelf oil lease money. About $5 billion dollars a year into the U.S. General Treasury. They simply want to divert $900 million of that into their coffers. giantsuckingsound"

Please explain to a simpleton such as myself how a fund that gets its dollars from Outer Continental Shelf oil and gas leasing, motor boat fuel tax, surplus property sales, and recreational fees could ever raise your taxes? You said your favorite line was how this won't increase your taxes. I took that to mean you were being sarcastic, and you were stating that this would, in fact, raise your taxes. Please explain how, if you could. I'm confused.

I mean, I could go nuclear and assume that since you are opposed to LWCF, you're opposed to little league baseball. And therefore, against America. That's the kind of mental gymnastics some of the dinosaurs on this site like to make anyway

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha, it's fun to watch you government boyz trying to carve out money destined for a General Treasury. Kind of like the ND 5% oil revenue rip off ballot measure. Ducks Unlimited spokespersons made the very same claim, it would not increase taxes. However, oil revenue would have been diverted away from the ND General Treasury.

Yesterday ND had a Billion dollar budget surplus and today we have a deficit. Simpletons will say the politicians wasted it. Yes that did. They wasted it on the wants of their constituents. So now what? Abolish the ND Outdoor Heritage Fund or increase everybody's taxes?

Millions of dollars of everyone's money has been granted by the ND Outdoor Heritage Fund. So what did the people of ND get for their money? On July 15th NDOHF made grants. Here is two out of twelve:

A Botanical Garden Edible Forest for $33,000

http://www.nd.gov/ndic/out/applications/r12/GR12-005.pdf

A tennis court in Valley City for $250,000

http://www.nd.gov/ndic/out/applications/r12/GR12-001.pdf

The reality is, directly ask the voters in Valley City if they would like their taxes to go up to pay for this and they would vote a resounding no. Tell them it's being lifted from their ND General Fund and they will vote no. Tell them it's free money being sourced from oil and they may shrug. The pea under the three walnut shells game is hard.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agree with what Mr. R. stated. Your story, while interesting, has nothing to do with LWCF. Nice try with the Gabe-esque bait and switch, but swing and a miss.

Serious question. Have you ever used a boat ramp in North Dakota Fritz?

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
there's not a deficit in this state either ;:;rofl

Four days ago Governor Doug Burgum reported:

The state drained about $800 million from reserve funds to balance the current general fund budget, and those savings must be replenished.

"Our revenue numbers are up but not up enough to cover the gap," he said.

Burgum said he is sticking to his April directive that agencies slash budgets 5 percent or 10 percent, with the larger ones responsible for the bigger cuts. He also called for agencies to identify an additional 3 percent reduction as a cushion against commodity price swings. Additionally, Burgum called for a 5 percent reduction in agency staffing when they begin preparing their plans for the next two-year budget.

Burgum is scheduled to release his budget proposal for the next two-year cycle in December.

Fly said,
Your story, while interesting, has nothing to do with LWCF.

LWCF is federal, NDOHF is State. The concept is the same....spend.

Serious question. Have you ever used a boat ramp in North Dakota Fritz?

Yep

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Four days ago Governor Doug Burgum reported:

The state drained about $800 million from reserve funds to balance the current general fund budget, and those savings must be replenished.

"Our revenue numbers are up but not up enough to cover the gap," he said.

Burgum said he is sticking to his April directive that agencies slash budgets 5 percent or 10 percent, with the larger ones responsible for the bigger cuts. He also called for agencies to identify an additional 3 percent reduction as a cushion against commodity price swings. Additionally, Burgum called for a 5 percent reduction in agency staffing when they begin preparing their plans for the next two-year budget.

Burgum is scheduled to release his budget proposal for the next two-year cycle in December.

LWCF is federal, NDOHF is State. The concept is the same....spend.

Yep

politicians say a lot of shit. Truth is there’s a few billion hoarded away in slush funds.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
politicians say a lot of shit. Truth is there’s a few billion hoarded away in slush funds.

If you believe the State has Billions stashed, well....then that is what you believe. We all know the fed/gov does not have the same luxury. $19 Trillion or more in debt. The Land Water Conservation Fund did sun set in 2015. Resuscitated since. Will it be saved at the last minute Sept. 30th, 2018? Voters should be irked that Congress creates spending programs such as this and then we can never seem to be rid of them.

https://www.heritage.org/budget-and...s-sunset-the-land-and-water-conservation-fund

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Heritage Foundation wants to sunset the LWCF! In other breaking news, water is wet.

Capture.PNG

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
still not sure why a dime needs to be spent buying up access. pass a law or ten granting access across private property one way or another to access public lands. do the same with the stupid corner hopping law. problem solved. see what happens to the value of the surrounding land once that is done and they no longer have millions of acres public land at their own private disposal. this issue is truly mind boggling for me.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Because Fritz and company have deeper and longer entrenched lobbyists than we do.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
still not sure why a dime needs to be spent buying up access. pass a law or ten granting access across private property one way or another to access public lands. do the same with the stupid corner hopping law. problem solved. see what happens to the value of the surrounding land once that is done and they no longer have millions of acres public land at their own private disposal. this issue is truly mind boggling for me.

The issue "is" these issues must be kept in front of the public so they can get the $Millions they desire for the LWCF.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
gabe, did fritz give you his password? that is a serious question cause i have never seen fritz actually post so many times in one day with such a fast response time. at least not since the HFH initiative. even then i don't think it was this prompt.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Laughing...…..actually I'm making phone calls all morning, writing, compiling, organizing, compartmentalizing on my computer because I have to run a banquet tonight. Shit, have not even been out the door yet today.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77