Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.northdakotaelkgrowers.com/why-raise-elk.cfm

- - - Updated - - -

Kinda cringe-worthy read on what I consider the epitome of western animals

Ethics of Enclosure Hunting

fairchase.jpg
This document has been developed to outline the industry's definition of an acceptable private hunting operation. North American Elk Breeders Association is an agricultural breed association; we sell our commodity of trophy elk to hunting preserves. We strongly suggest that members of our association sell elk only to operations that meet the following guidelines.

1. THE OPERATIONS SHOULD ASSURE HARVESTING IN ANY AREA BY ANY METHOD WHICH, THROUGH A COMBINATION OF SIZE, TERRAIN, AND VEGETATIVE COVER, PROVIDES AN ANIMAL WITH A REASONABLE OPPORTUNITY TO AVOID BEING FOUND OR, HAVING BEEN FOUND, TO EVADE THE HUNTER.
  2. HARVESTING OPERATIONS SHOULD OFFER HUNTING OPPORTUNITIES FOR PHYSICALLY CHALLENGED HUNTERS.
  3. TROPHY OPERATIONS SHOULD BE ENCLOSED IN GAME FENCE THAT EXCLUDES WILD ANIMALS FROM THE ENCLOSURE AND RETAINS COMMERCIALLY RAISED ANIMALS WITHIN THE ENCLOSURE. WITHIN THE TROPHY OPERATION, ONLY COMMERCIALLY RAISED ANIMALS WILL BE HARVESTED.
  4. TROPHY ANIMALS PLACED IN A HARVEST OPERATION SHOULD EXHIBIT THEIR NATURAL FLIGHT INSTINCT.
  5. THE ANIMALS SHOULD BE SELF-SUFFICIENT FOR FORAGE, WATER, AND SHELTER. SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING IS PERMITTED.
  6. EACH HUNT SHOULD INCLUDE A GUIDE TO ENSURE HUMANE HARVESTING.
  7. HARVEST AREA SHOULD BE A SIZE TO ENSURE RECOVERY OF TROPHY ANIMAL.
  8. HUNTER SHOULD POSSESS FAMILIARITY WITH WEAPON OF CHOICE.
  9. IF THE HUNTER DOES NOT WANT THE MEAT FROM THE HARVESTED ANIMAL, IT SHOULD BE USED BY THE HARVEST OPERATION OR DONATED TO A CHARITABLE ORGANIZATION THAT WILL DISTRIBUTE IT TO FAMILIES IN NEED.
  10. PROPER POSTMORTEM TESTING MUST BE DONE TO MONITOR HERD HEALTH.

Resonable opportunity to evade the hunter. Fuckin puke. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to take my multiple deer and elk tags, head out to the public land that isn't landlocked by private or corners, and try to get the foul taste of the idea of elk as livestock out of my head. So long, jerks!

Last edited:

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’m not even against the raising of elk or deer so long as precautions are taken that they can’t infect the wild herd or vice versa. But I’m sure as hell not going to put my hunting future in their hands. Shooting some corn fed livestock has no appeal to me.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’m not even against the raising of elk or deer so long as precautions are taken that they can’t infect the wild herd or vice versa. But I’m sure as hell not going to put my hunting future in their hands. Shooting some corn fed livestock has no appeal to me.

This

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=2]Runaway deer from area game farm meet their fate in rural ...[/h]https://pelicanrapidspress.com/2017/11/14/runaway-deer-area-game...
The Great Escape Three Vergas area deer hunters shot specimens of a lifetime the first weekend of deer season. Three animals, all weighing more than 200 pounds each–and antler points by the dozens–were shot by three flabbergasted hunters. They don’t grow deer like that around these parts–except in an enclosed fence, with a feeding bin and a water trough–at a game farm.

I wish I could get the picture on here, but these deer were huge and the guys that shot them were all smiles. I guess the deer just walked up to them and got blasted.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Property rights, right?

I mean, its one thing to domesticate wild animals...been doing it forever. Its another to label the harvest of domesticated animals as "Hunting". It is anything, but......

I propose legislation that disallows the use "hunting" when it comes to high fence operations. You are culling livestock. Period. You can call it elk shooting all day long, because thats all it is, shooting....there is no hunting to be had. Its a private transaction for the opportunity to shoot a commodity. Go nuts. I shoot cattle at the ranch too and put it in my freezer. I dont call it beef hunting. I wont go to my neighbor and shoot his black angus and call it hunting. ITS NOT HUNTING, STOP REFERRING TO IT AS SUCH.

Like I said, property rights. Go ahead. Just stop calling it hunting and marketing it as such. Thats where the whole controversy lies. But these breeders won't ever stop using the word. Too many needle dick guys from New York coming to shoot ol' bessy on Fritz ranch and take nothing home but the rack. And by the way, its okay....we dont need their votes as "hunters". We will carry the torch ourselves.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys crack me up. Attack the messenger. But since you brought up elk. Let's go back to espringers original article. Notice CWD?

Earlier this week, more than 70 of the best outdoor media, conservation experts and industry leaders gathered in Bozeman, Montana, for the
Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership
(TRCP) Western Media Summit. The group spent two days pouring over concerns that affect hunters, anglers and the outdoor community overall, including
Chronic Wasting Disease
, the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) and landlocked public lands.

......The wildlife boyz are hoping for a windfall of taxpayers money. You all can recall an Oregon check station caught a CWD positive coming in from Montana. So Mt. got busy last year looking and found 4 more. Now their hair is on fire. So the wildlife boyz went to their favorite Senator Jon Tester who created Senate Bill 2252.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/2252/all-info

The text:

https://legiscan.com/US/text/SB2252/2017

$60 million bucks. The money is NOT dedicated strictly for research as it should be but goes to State and Tribal governments. That's pork.

The Farm Bill is about ready to go and there is $15 million dedicated to genomes research and $20 million dedicated to a hoof and mouth vaccine bank. Tester is trying to glomb or piggyback to that. Think about it, in the Farm Bill. Probably not going to happen.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya cwd and Colorado exterminating their deer herd worked out well. That is right there with global warming. Some one is getting rich.......

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fritz you forgot to mention Land Tawney.

He has been under the radar lately. The Republicans probably have him under a microscope. Six years ago, the last time (D) Jon Tester was up for re-election, Land Tawney's non-profit Montana Hunters And Anglers Action, (501(c)4) spent $1.2 million against Tester's opponent.

That's a lot of money and as a 501(c)4 they don't have to report the origin of it. But MHAA made a misstep when they didn't report to the IRS that the money did a pass through their account. Obama's IRS looked the other way. However, Obama's IRS did target conservative organizations. What a bunch of shit.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tester is like Heidcamp a good old boy/girl back home, but a pervert Democrat in DC. I don't support Tawney as a person, but I do support some of the things he does do. Him supporting Tester and Obama isn't one of them. None of them do everything right. Even though I am conservative I don't support the republicans , money worshippers, who support turning over my public land to the states. The swamp truly needs daining. Washington is like the movie Dumb (Republican) and Dummer (Democrat).

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Let’s get back on track about the public land issue.

I was just listening to Dakota Prairie Outdoors on 550 am kfyr. He had Daryl Lies on from the ND Farm Bureau claiming that private landowners do not have access to landlocked private land across public land. I have never heard of this so I am skeptical of this claim as all of the private land I have seen has access across public lands. The host said that he said hunters want to be able to access the land via a trial or road so they can drive to it and that hunters just do not want to walk to get there. If the public land is landlocked then we cannot even walk to access it! Most of us are just asking for walking access and don’t expect a trail or road to be built. The host said he is skeptical of On X because of some of their associations with certain groups. I can see his concerns but what other groups are willing to help solving this problem? Obviously the ND Farm Bureau is not on the side of the public accessing public lands. Daryl suggested that we just sell the public lands to private citizens to solve the issue. How is that going to increase access for hunters and sportsmen?

We need to be mindful who is truely on the side of the common man hunter.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If that’s what that guy said he is full of all kinds of shit. OnX is a gps program what does he think they are making up who owns what. That is dumb if so

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wasn't the host Scott bachmier? I think he was the one that said hunters are getting old and want to drive instead of walking

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
From the article:

https://www.onxmaps.com/blog/landlo...ndlocked&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=Leanplum

""For the purposes of this report, landlocked public lands are defined as federally managed lands that cannot be accessed directly from a public road (direct access) and cannot be accessed via adjoining public land by way of a public road (indirect access). Only permanent legal access was considered for this report, but existing access across some private lands may be given at the discretion of the landowner, and in many places permanent public access is assumed but not proven.""

How come no one is bitching about indirect access? Public road with access to public land. Behind that is more public land and behind that is more public land but no road or trail. That is indirect access to most and is only accessible to someone built like an upside down brick shit house.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There is no answer that will satisfy you but the long and the short of it is that I’m not going to ruin something just because I can’t hack it. It’s equality of opportunity, not outcomes. My current favorite duck slough is a 150 walk across a table top flat plain and then 75 yards into knee deep water. It’s not at all difficult but there will come a day when I won’t be able to physically do that either. Doesn’t mean that I’m going to demand the Game and Fish build me a path for my wheelchair and a fishing pier.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
everyone has the same chance to hike in it’s just if they want to do there does not need to be roads or trail heads to every thing. Know some guys well into there 60’s that will bust most people’s ass they give me goals for when I get older

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If that’s what that guy said he is full of all kinds of shit. OnX is a gps program what does he think they are making up who owns what. That is dumb if so

http://www.dakotaprairieoutdoors.com
Here is the link to the audio.

- - - Updated - - -

Wasn't the host Scott bachmier? I think he was the one that said hunters are getting old and want to drive instead of walking
Yes that was him. I normally enjoy his programs but Daryl Lies is not on the side of hunters so I would avoid him in my show. Many of us rely on public lands when hunting out west or we wouldn’t be able to hunt out there.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no answer that will satisfy you but the long and the short of it is that I’m not going to ruin something just because I can’t hack it. It’s equality of opportunity, not outcomes. My current favorite duck slough is a 150 walk across a table top flat plain and then 75 yards into knee deep water. It’s not at all difficult but there will come a day when I won’t be able to physically do that either. Doesn’t mean that I’m going to demand the Game and Fish build me a path for my wheelchair and a fishing pier.
Most sportsmen I talk to simply want foot access and we can’t even get that to our public lands

- - - Updated - - -

From the article:

https://www.onxmaps.com/blog/landlo...ndlocked&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=Leanplum

""For the purposes of this report, landlocked public lands are defined as federally managed lands that cannot be accessed directly from a public road (direct access) and cannot be accessed via adjoining public land by way of a public road (indirect access). Only permanent legal access was considered for this report, but existing access across some private lands may be given at the discretion of the landowner, and in many places permanent public access is assumed but not proven.""

How come no one is bitching about indirect access? Public road with access to public land. Behind that is more public land and behind that is more public land but no road or trail. That is indirect access to most and is only accessible to someone built like an upside down brick shit house.
I wish all public land had indirect access that was physically possible to traverse, but even indirect access is nonexistent

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Listened to the podcast and Scott and Daryl are spot on.

http://www.dakotaprairieoutdoors.com/

For years the Land Water Conservation Fund has been used to purchase private land for wildlife corridors etc. They claim they need more of certain private parcels for connectivity etc. OK fine. Maybe they should entertain trades. Or sell certain landlocked public pain in the ass parcels? Use the proceeds to purchase something everyone can access/use.

I like motorcycles, atv's, side by sides, snowmobiles on Public Land TRAILS. Eat my dust.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone can access just a whole lot don’t have the will power. My family had made a living if motor sports but having a trail every where is not needed. Snowmobiles in the high country are a whole different beast but there are still non motorized areas where they don’t need to be either.

land swaps have been going on but most want and in reasonable price or trade

- - - Updated - - -

Also it’s checkers or wreckers I ain’t eating no one dust

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77