9,500,000 public acres landlocked?!

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I asked a guy once if I could hike across his land to get to some public land, he told me ND's section line laws state I could walk right across any of his land, as long as it was a section line, he said even though there wasn't the typical established section line road that his northbound fence followed the section line and there was nothing he could do to stop anyone from traveling it. He even said that if it would be passable that legally I could even drive it. also this was coming from an old rancher who liked to bullshit not from any law office, but it made good enough sense to me that I walked in on his section line multiple times, and never had any issues.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I asked a guy once if I could hike across his land to get to some public land, he told me ND's section line laws state I could walk right across any of his land, as long as it was a section line, he said even though there wasn't the typical established section line road that his northbound fence followed the section line and there was nothing he could do to stop anyone from traveling it. He even said that if it would be passable that legally I could even drive it. also this was coming from an old rancher who liked to bullshit not from any law office, but it made good enough sense to me that I walked in on his section line multiple times, and never had any issues.
That's great. And that's why the landlocked public land issue doesn't apply to the great state of ND. Not the case out this way, however.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member

I was told the same thing by the G&F, I forget his name but he said the G&F considers section lines as established roads and could be driven whether there were vehicle tracks or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Listened to the podcast and Scott and Daryl are spot on.

http://www.dakotaprairieoutdoors.com/

For years the Land Water Conservation Fund has been used to purchase private land for wildlife corridors etc. They claim they need more of certain private parcels for connectivity etc. OK fine. Maybe they should entertain trades. Or sell certain landlocked public pain in the ass parcels? Use the proceeds to purchase something everyone can access/use.

I like motorcycles, atv's, side by sides, snowmobiles on Public Land TRAILS. Eat my dust.

They did do some land swap and sales ( which were less than the going rate ) in the grasslands out west a few years back, I know one rancher that bought a 1/4 section that he was renting and was surrounded by private for a cheap price and then sold it along with all his land a couple years later

The only one they could sell the landlocked parcels to would be the adjacent land owner or the access problem would still exist for the new owner.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's great. And that's why the landlocked public land issue doesn't apply to the great state of ND. Not the case out this way, however.

Yes, North Dakota is great. A section line is 66 feet of right of way. We use them all the time. Can't imagine goose hunting with 1000 lbs. of gear and no section lines.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, North Dakota is great. A section line is 66 feet of right of way. We use them all the time. Can't imagine goose hunting with 1000 lbs. of gear and no section lines.
You need lighter decoys. Or fewer shotgun shells.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Listened to the podcast and Scott and Daryl are spot on.

http://www.dakotaprairieoutdoors.com/

For years the Land Water Conservation Fund has been used to purchase private land for wildlife corridors etc. They claim they need more of certain private parcels for connectivity etc. OK fine. Maybe they should entertain trades. Or sell certain landlocked public pain in the ass parcels? Use the proceeds to purchase something everyone can access/use.

I like motorcycles, atv's, side by sides, snowmobiles on Public Land TRAILS. Eat my dust.
I would say most sportsmen are for trading land locked public lands for equal accessible lands. Unfortunately some groups such as RMEF are against trading lands , but if done properly and fairly there is no reason to oppose it.

The thing is the Farm Bureau President did not suggest trading lands to open up access. The only solution to the problem that he brought up would be to sell the public lands to private landowners without replacing those listen public lands. There is zero value to sportsmen to sell our public lands outright.

The host was claiming that people just want more access or easier access to these public lands and that is simply misleading because we are talking about land locked parcels. We just simply want one sort of access to the public lands.

- - - Updated - - -

In states such as Montana and Wyoming the section lines are not a public ROW. In ND no public land is technically land locked because of the section line laws.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76