9,500,000 public acres landlocked?!

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Agree that public land needs public access. At the same time there is a fine line where I'm pretty sure there are no State Game and Fish Departments that wants to cross. That line is the balance between respecting private land rights and keeping private land involved in the benefit of all game.Both need each other and it benefits no one when there is no cooperation.

For sure there are areas of the country where cooperation is better than others and for different types of game it's better. An example from which I have a little experience is the difference between antelope and elk in MT. Not all that difficult to gain permission to hunt antelope, not so easy for elk on private land. In ND, pretty easy to find access to waterfowl, pheasants are not locked out but more protected.

These days, getting the feds involved is no guarantee that the result will e favorable to sportsmen and women.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a lot of buying up of land with the main goal of landlocking more land. Even ranchers in these areas are having their own lands squeezed from all sides. The idea of the "bufflo commons" is still alive and well with alot of environmental groups. They see no need whatsoever to have people living in many rural areas and feel they need to be relocated to the cities..

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
What really chaps my ass is when people put gates on what should be access to public lands. Example- last fall west river SD. Gravel roads that intersect a portion of otherwise landlocked BLM. Access is getting tougher and tougher. Pay hunters are becoming more common. Pretty soon everything will be pay to play.

. 6B0F18ED-BB91-441F-ABD7-77F8E98C6C05.jpg97C8592E-8288-4664-AEFE-4F916F4E2E25.jpg

Last edited:

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about corner hopping!?! Now having that illegal is some straight up BULLSHIT

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sort of like DC the republicans compromise and the democrats don't. Likewise it's always the sportsmen compromising and the landowners looking for the next angle to squeeze another dollar from the public. Montana ranchers are the worst. Their political swamp sure needs draining.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't understand why all states don't have section line laws like we do.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about corner hopping!?! Now having that illegal is some straight up BULLSHIT
Like the rancher near the Crazy Mountains that GST and Fritz defend. He and his grandparents enjoyed the free use of a Forest Service road for what was it 125 years. They enjoyed their roads always open at Forest Service expense. Taxpayer expense really. Then he started an outfitter service and blocked the public land. No more traveling on that tiny portion that went across his land. I wonder will he now pay for the road maintenance?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like the rancher near the Crazy Mountains that GST and Fritz defend. He and his grandparents enjoyed the free use of a Forest Service road for what was it 125 years. They enjoyed their roads always open at Forest Service expense. Taxpayer expense really. Then he started an outfitter service and blocked the public land. No more traveling on that tiny portion that went across his land. I wonder will he now pay for the road maintenance?

I'd forgotten about fritz , Whatever became of him ? Kinda miss you and GST's discussions (In a way) , There was both sides to most of the stories.

Last edited:

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
https://www.onxmaps.com/blog/landlo...ndlocked&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=Leanplum

Not sure why there needs to be public money spent gaining access. How's about they just pass a law or two granting access to them over private lands if needed.

It is great that companies like onxmaps are jumping onboard to this issue. There is no reason the public should be blocked out from accessing public lands. Even private land that is land locked has access granted to them through public land so why doesn’t it go both ways?

The more I scout WY he more frustrated I get when I see big blocks of good public land surrounded by ranches that outfit and there is no way for a common guy to get in there without a helicopter. Politicians on the state and national level are just as much to blame for not solving this issue. These big outfits line their pockets so why would they listen to a normal constituent?

As sportsmen we need to fight this public land access issue as it will soon become the last land a every day hunter can access. Once the number of hunters goes down so does the number of people who support the right for us to hunt. We need to protect our right to hunt and fight for access to OUR LANDS. We can not afford hunting to become a rich mans sport.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Sort of like DC the republicans compromise and the democrats don't. Likewise it's always the sportsmen compromising and the landowners looking for the next angle to squeeze another dollar from the public. Montana ranchers are the worst. Their political swamp sure needs draining.
looking through your mailing tube again, Bruce, and holding that tar soaked brush in your right hand as usual! Or are you left handed?
In my long experience at life nothing is EVER all or none or one sided! Those who believe so are simply holding up positive progress.

- - - Updated - - -

It is great that companies like onxmaps are jumping onboard to this issue. There is no reason the public should be blocked out from accessing public lands. Even private land that is land locked has access granted to them through public land so why doesn’t it go both ways?

The more I scout WY he more frustrated I get when I see big blocks of good public land surrounded by ranches that outfit and there is no way for a common guy to get in there without a helicopter. Politicians on the state and national level are just as much to blame for not solving this issue. These big outfits line their pockets so why would they listen to a normal constituent?

As sportsmen we need to fight this public land access issue as it will soon become the last land a every day hunter can access. Once the number of hunters goes down so does the number of people who support the right for us to hunt. We need to protect our right to hunt and fight for access to OUR LANDS. We can not afford hunting to become a rich mans sport.

I absolutely agree migrator! How do we sportsmen band together to collectively lend our support for access to public lands. We sportsmen are great at blogging and complaining but how do we somehow band together with other groups who also want full access to public lands. Groups like hikers, campers, birders, etc! Instead of continually disparaging them. Standing up for our collective rights requires MONEY! And cooperation with other similar minded public land use groups.
MULTI USE is the key. I recently got chastised on a private Facebook blog by pointiNg this out to a Nevada Camper who tried to tell hunters, now that archery season was on, to STAY OUT! I politely pointed out that the land is public and multi use and ALL groups must band together despite some disagreements about use with what other groups might have, and there is strength in numbers. If not, in that part of Nevada even though they might force hunters out, which won’t happen, they might be trying to camp and hike beside oil wells or uranium mines and be locked out! We all better hang together or we’ll all hang separately! Believe it or not, I actually think I got the point across to these so called “ environmentalists!” We ALL should be environmentalists in one way or another! Most of those bloggers said they never thought of things that way and at least some seemed convinced.
And remember that when it seems so many of us complain, hunters are way in the MINORITY when it comes to wanting our slice of the public land pie! For starters, if we don’t all band together with other groups and quit bad mouthing each other, hunting will be strictly a pay to hunt thing and will never change. Hopefully not in my lifetime...hope I’m wrong!

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
looking through your mailing tube again, Bruce, and holding that tar soaked brush in your right hand as usual! Or are you left handed?
In my long experience at life nothing is EVER all or none or one sided! Those who believe so are simply holding up positive progress.

You came to the party a little late, but right on here we have had people calling out for support for multiple use, for grazing rights, for water rights, and at the same time supporting cutting off access to hunters. Evidently they thought they spoke for the grazing community. I don't want to take away their grazing rights, but they do support taking away our access and right to multiple use.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jesus Bruce, it sure doesn't take long for you to single out ranchers/landowners. Do you have that big a hard on for GST? He isn't even on here anymore and yet you are constantly bringing him up. There isn't anybody on here that drives a bigger wedge between hunters and landowners than you, give it up already.

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
I absolutely agree migrator! How do we sportsmen band together to collectively lend our support for access to public lands. We sportsmen are great at blogging and complaining but how do we somehow band together with other groups who also want full access to public lands. Groups like hikers, campers, birders, etc! Instead of continually disparaging them. Standing up for our collective rights requires MONEY! And cooperation with other similar minded public land use groups.
MULTI USE is the key.

Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
yea that's rather amazing. and land owners are a big percentage of em.

I have plenty of experience where the land owners know but other people don't. I deal with it every year every weekend but still am not against the rule.

I agree that there should be access to these public lands and don't see how it gets to be landlocked.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
You came to the party a little late, but right on here we have had people calling out for support for multiple use, for grazing rights, for water rights, and at the same time supporting cutting off access to hunters. Evidently they thought they spoke for the grazing community. I don't want to take away their grazing rights, but they do support taking away our access and right to multiple use.
Sorry, I misunderstood and apologize. My plea is why different groups can’t get along better! Seems every group is greedy in their own way ( kind of human natire) and never sit down sand compromise on anything any more!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74