Boat trailer issue.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I knew buying an 03 would have issues eventually, but here is the first one.
20180903_145705.jpg
20180903_145701.jpg

You can see where my finger is at that that cap is loose.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there any oil on the backside of the hub? I have seen those caps like the one you are pointing at come loose and leak, or fall off altogether. You may just have to remove the cap and apply a sealant to it and refill with oil.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
my guess is you have worn bearings that heated up and pushed grease out of your bearing buddy's. bearing buddy's are great but depending on miles hubs should be removed every couple of years and cleaned, inspected and repacked

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
my guess is you have worn bearings that heated up and pushed grease out of your bearing buddy's. bearing buddy's are great but depending on miles hubs should be removed every couple of years and cleaned, inspected and repacked
These are oil-bath hubs. Shouldn’t have to service them.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have oil bath hubs, they have issues when put in water hot. You have a seal out. About a 50 fix. I have had the dealer fix them and I have also had the truck stop non Minot fix them. Cheaper and faster at the truck stop.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bearing buddies cause more harm than good. In the spring of the year before the first outing everyone pops the caps and a few shots of grease in each one, and boom!! Problem avoided. Then you have this warm fuzzy feeling that you saved the world by a few shots of grease. Then stand there all dumbfounded and blankly stare at a destroyed axle shaft and a tire and rim laying on the other side of the ditch. I disassemble mine in the fall after my very last outing. That way they set all winter with fresh grease and no water to rust anything. If you don’t want to disassemble them at least pump grease in untill the water and old grease is pushed out. But do this in the fall and save yourself a lot of headaches

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not a hard fix. Front seal. IMO they're easier and faster to fix than a standard greased bearing and certainly less mess. I like the little thumb-operated old style oil cans for refilling the hub after service.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there any oil on the backside of the hub? I have seen those caps like the one you are pointing at come loose and leak, or fall off altogether. You may just have to remove the cap and apply a sealant to it and refill with oil.

It just fell out, I'm planning on doing just this, and hoping there was do damage done to bearings. That cap just taps in.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only issue I have is I need the right tool to remove my tailor tire, the place to fill it up is behind it. My lug wrench is too fat and won't fit in the skinny space to get on the lug nuts. Glad I know this now when its sitting in my yard, and not trying to change it on the road.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
deep well socket works. I found this out on the side of the road.

I found the socket, but I can't find by bar or ratchet that fits it. Its the larger size.

- - - Updated - - -

Loctite makes some epoxies that will hold that puppy in place for ya!

::thinking::

:;:

I was gonna ask what a guy should use for sealant on that cap??

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anerobic sealant should work for the cap, make sure everything is clean and dry of oil. Brake clean works well for that. Anerobic will set up when removed from air, it remains somewhat flexible when dry. We use it in areas where expansion and contraction rates are different. Also in areas that have high vibration.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member

That is an excellent write up, I would add 1. is if you are retaining the original bearings keep close track which bearing goes with which race, as in inner vs. outer. 2. Timkin bearing are normally quite sloppy feeling, so a judgement call on good/bad is not on "tightness" of bearing when dry.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
When using bearing buddies jack up the wheel off the ground and spin it while you are giving it shots of grease. Quit when you feel resistance on your grease gun pump. Nothing wrong with bearing buddies you just have to know how to do it correctly. They aren't the answer if you need your bearings packed!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74